Author Topic: [Resolved] Access Denied?  (Read 16447 times)

tinytim101

[Resolved] Access Denied?
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
I had free avast 5.x and now it keeps saying access denied.  It says I'm no longer registered but I registered it 5 months ago.  Also I can't update it or enable it, it only says access denied.

I've tried disabling Self Defense mode.
I've tried changing my update method to direct and then to automatic.
I've tried uninstalling including using Revo uninstaller and Avastclear.
I've tried reinstalling from scratch.

So far nothing has worked?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:52:37 PM by tinytim101 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Access Denied?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »
What are you doing that makes it say access denied ?

What version of avast do you have Free/Pro/AIS ?
If the free you should have been able to re-register from the UI.

If avast considers it isn't registered then it won't allow you to update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tinytim101

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
When I turn my computer on, there is a Red message pop up that says cannot update.  When I click on  the main menu it says it is not registered yet.
When I click on update it says updating please wait........and i wait for 30 minutes and still nothing.
I go to the update settings and change the settings to direct connection=nothing, auto=still nothing.

If i try to re-register is says "Access Denied"

I'm using Avast 5.

I also tried to enter my old Avast 4.8 registration code but it says it is invalid.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:33:08 PM by tinytim101 »

Silk0

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »
Try to do a complete uninstallation of your actual Avast (i recommend with Revo Uninstaller) and install all over again and see if the problem continues.

Revo Uninstaller Free Version
http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
Do not use Revo uninstaller for any security application, you are best to use the specific uninstall tools from the company, who are more likely to know all file locations and registry entries.

The old 4.8 key won't work with 5.0.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.677 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »
Revo is NOT good with programs that need a reboot to fully uninstall.
Revo is BAD with antivirus and firewalls and could do more harm than good.

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. This step is important!
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

tinytim101

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:19:46 AM »
Ok. I'll try uninstalling,install all over again.   But I sent a request to Avast for a new 5.0 registration number about 7 hours ago and have still Not recieved it yet.

tinytim101

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:40:42 AM »
ok. I did exactly as you guys said.
I used Avastclear to uninstall it.  It unistalled ok.
I re-installed it and nothing is changed.  It won't allow me to register or update.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »
I also tried to enter my old Avast 4.8 registration code but it says it is invalid.
Try this:  http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php
Make sure you use the same email as you used to register for the 4.0 license.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

tinytim101

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
My version of 4.8 was the Free version.  I tried it anyways and Avast sends me a message saying sorry but you had a Free version.

Ok. this is what I tried last night.

-I re-tried everything, went into safe mode again and ran Avastclear
-nothing

-then I re-tried it again but tried something different.
-I ran JV power tools and the under registry it listed Avast in one entry, so I deleted it
-I then ran a search for Avast in registery, it came up with about 55 entries!, so I deleted those. This is all after uninstalling and running Avastclear.
-then I tried installing and running Avast- still the same.

-then I tried going into Internet explorer settings,(I use Firefox, but sometimes a program will look at IE settings instead)
Anyways, I lowered the security on IE, nothing

-next I went into control panel, wireless networks, properties, etc, in order to somehow reset the wireless connection, this has worked before in some cases.
-nothing.

***One thing I notice;  when I show the menu for update it shows  "Current Version 5.0.0" 
If I go to update settings, then change to direct connection or automatic and quicly go back to update menu.....
then for about 1 second it says "Current Version 5.0128"  then quickly goes back to 5.0.0"
Why is this?  I feel this is an important clue here of what is going on.  If there is still traces somehow of Avast previous installation, thats impossible isn't it?

tinytim101

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
P.S.S. I forgot to mention about 100 entries also came up in the registry for Avast but under Comodo firewall subdirectories.  Those I did not delete because I assume it was for Trusted Application.

<--------------Next Chapter of "The Battle For Avast Re-installation" begins here.....

Ok. where shall I begin...twas a dark and stormy night....

I downloaded and installed the newest trial version of JV16 Power Tools since I was using an old free version of JV.

Next....
(By the way this is after an uninstall and a Avastclear)

Next I did a search in the registry for Avast.
It came up with I believe 6858 entries.

I deleted the first seven.   The rest took 3.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!   Yes thats right 3.5 hours on my dual core computer.

After 3.5 hours it listed 7 registry entries it said it Could Not Delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ALWIL Software\Avast\{KEY} : {KEY}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWSP\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Self Protection
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWTDI\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Network Shield Support
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWSP\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Self Protection
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWTDI\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Network Shield Support
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWSP\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Self Protection
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWTDI\0000\DeviceDesc : avast! Network Shield Support

The first entry I eventually was able to delete by changing permissions AND clicked on the box "Replace......"

The last six I changed permission to full control then deleted.

Next I installed Avast.

After I clicked on Finish it worked!

I restarted the computer and everything updated automatically.
I registered no problem and thats it.

(For those that want the long version will have to wait for the novel)

P.S. by the way under my name...shouldn't Newbie be replaced with Super-Advanced-Avast-Problem-Solver?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:06:02 PM by tinytim101 »

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Access Denied?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
Even though you resolved your problem, it shouldn't have taken this much effort.  Do you by any chance have another AV or another security software on your machine that you never uninstalled or uninstalled it NOT using the vendor's tool?  I noticed that you are using third-party uninstaller software (JV_Power, Revo), and these are NOT good to use for security software because they do not get the registries uninstalled like the vendor's uninstallers do.  You could have remnants on your machine from prior software if you ever had them on your system and this could have created your "novel."

I would suggest that you give Avast a good workout to make sure it is working properly over the next day or two.  Do a Quick, Full, and Boot-time scan (if 32-bit) to make sure your system is clean and working correctly.  Leave your settings at default for now.

If after using your machine for several days and all seems well and you feel that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

tinytim101

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
No I've never uninstalled,installed Avast before.  I upgraded from 4.8 about 5 months ago, but I let Avast do the work not Revo.

I won't stop using Revo, since its able to find so much junk and software remanents leftover of software.  Although I'm using the Free version of Revo, the paid version apparently does a much more thorough job.

Microsoft uninstaller simply relies or trusts a software programs uninstaller to uninstall itself.  This has proven to be a disaster from personal experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.S.S

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

....but you say Revo bad, Microsoft Add/Remove and applications own uninstaller good?

If you used Revo before you know actually Revo doesn't have its own uninstaller.   Like Microsoft Add/Remove it runs a applications own uninstaller.   After that is finished it looks for remanents to see if the application left any of its signatures or programs, registry etc left behind, then two windows come up listing them and you have the option to delete them...

So if I did use Revo 10 or 11 months ago with Avast,  I'm saying I did, but IF I did then it would have used the Avast internal uninstaller...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:24:14 PM by tinytim101 »

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
@ tinytim101
P.S. by the way under my name...shouldn't Newbie be replaced with Super-Advanced-Avast-Problem-Solver?

You will become an avast! Evangelist after 20 or more posts I believe.

It seems you have much to learn from avast! Evangelists like SafeSurf and DavidR an avast! Technical advisor.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
You will become an avast! Evangelist after 20 or more posts I believe.

LOL... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0