Author Topic: Is avast! 4 Server Edition right for me?  (Read 7267 times)

mikeh80

Is avast! 4 Server Edition right for me?
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:45:04 AM »
Being one of the “computer guys” at church I get to help run the network here.

The network consists of two churches and one school, three separate locations connected through VPN’s.  The network is fairly new and we don’t have an antivirus solution yet.

Here is what I have:
- One Microsoft 2003 server; It’s a file server and controls the user groups.  (I hope that makes sense)
- 15 to 20 on site computers connected to the server
- 2 pc's using the server, as a file server only (no login yet), through a VPN
- 5 pc's using the server, as a file server only (no login yet), through a different VPN
- Somewhere between 50 to 80 users.

Here is what I need:
- Something to scan the files stored on the server as well as the files stored on the workstations.  
- Something to scan incoming email attachments.  Our email is handled off-site, not through the MS 2003 server.

I’m confused as to what I need to get an antivirus/email filter running on each client machine.  Avast! 4 Server Edition just sits on the server correct?  What about the client machines?

Thank you for your help!  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Is avast! 4 Server Edition right for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
Yup you need the server edition. Home/Pro won't work on a server os. A server edition will also take care of the clients. The server edition will take care of everything you want.

Just a hint: Be prepaired to spend some time reading the manual to configure it to your needs. A little configuration error is easily made.

Looks to me you got qiuet a community there in those churches, perhaps running a website from your (the churches) server with a board is an idea :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:29:15 PM by Eddy »

mikeh80

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:00:28 PM »
Great, thank you!

I figured that there might be another manual to read.  There are four of us running this network and I don’t think any of us are qualified.  I’ve had to bang my head against a few manuals already.  :)

As for the website and community; we have a website up and running on a shared host.  (I don’t know enough to maintain a secure web server.)  A sister congregation is setting us up with a MS sharepoint account on their servers.  They have a qualified MS employee to take care of their network, too bad they are 150 miles away!

Thank you again, I’m going to write up a proposal.  We are trying to get this network as secure as possible before school starts back up again.  So much to do in so little time!

mikeh80

One last question
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 02:56:55 AM »
Do I need 25 licenses for “avast! 4 Professional Edition” as well as one for “avast! 4 Server Edition?”  Sorry, I’m still a little confused as to what’s included in the server edition and how the client pc’s are scanned.  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 03:13:29 AM »
For the server edition you need the the same amount as you have clients on your server os.

I think (not sure) you can put XP home on the clients for free if you want. But to make sure send a email with this question to   sales@avast.com

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 09:38:10 AM »
Eddy, sorry but some of your posts are confusing (if not wrong). In this case, you're simply not right again. Please refrain from answering questions you don't know answers to... :-\

Mike, the Server Edition is only what the name says -- i.e. a version of avast designed for server OSs. To protect the workstations (which is usually the case), you need a workstation-based product (avast Professional Edition in case of avast).

Currently, there're no bundles offered (server + N workstations) but this may change in near future.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
I didn't redirect him to Alwil for nothing Vlk :D
If I'm wrong with this
For the server edition you need the the same amount as you have clients on your server os.
well then you are wrong also. That's what you explained to me in another thread.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 09:51:56 AM by Eddy »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 10:15:55 AM »
This only applied to the "Small Business Server" Edition that uses a different pricing model (per-user). The Server Edition has a fixed price, independent of the users connecting to the server.

But they always need to purchase the licenses for the workstations. Neither Small Biz Server Edition nor Server Edition includes these!
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.