Author Topic: I think Avast looped my computer  (Read 2679 times)

saison

I think Avast looped my computer
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:04 AM »
I downloaded the trial version for Windows XP Home. It ran fine after a reboot, but then it was doing an update, and the computer has suddenly gone into constant reboot. I did a windows recovery, and that went OK. But I'm still in reboot mode. Computer will not start in any safe mode. This computer came with XP preloaded and no CD, so I need a bootable repair. ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: I think Avast looped my computer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:28 AM »
came with XP preloaded and no CD, so I need a bootable repair.
you may have a recover partition on the harddrive.....
on some computers you access it by clicking F10 during start

did the computer come with a preinstalled virusprogram ?
did you remove it before you installed avast!

saison

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
That's what I did, I hit F10 to run the recover partition at startup. The computer was using Kaspersky, but I did the uninstall before running the Avast install.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
You may want to try running the uninstaller tool for Kasp. again or try these sites:

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/

I have found that KAV leaves many remnants behind and you can find them while in Safe Mode > Search > All files and folders > Advanced Options (all boxes checked off except case sensitive) > type in the top box in the Left pane Kaspersky and/or the name of the product you used like "KAV" or "KIS" > click "OK" > any files that come up on the Right window pane should be related to Kaspersky but in doubt you can right-click and see properties to double check and delete them.  Empty your recycle bin while in Safe Mode.  Reboot.