Author Topic: [Resolved] Avast suddenly stopped working  (Read 8955 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
[Resolved] Avast suddenly stopped working
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
Been using Avast Internet Security for the past 8-9 months with no problems. This morning i turn on my computer and Avast come up with a red cross saying my system in unsecured. When i click 'Fix Now' nothing happens.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Would it help going to control panel - repair installation??
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:40:19 PM by justinlee »
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

osants911

Re: Avast suddenly stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
Been using Avast Internet Security for the past 8-9 months with no problems. This morning i turn on my computer and Avast come up with a red cross saying my system in unsecured. When i click 'Fix Now' nothing happens.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Would it help going to control panel - repair installation??

Yes, try a repair of avast! first.

EDIT: Don't forget to reboot your computer after repair is completed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:25:51 AM by yodaosan »

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:58 AM »
Tried that but nothing. When you go to repair the installation just hangs.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Reboot your machine, then try the Repair again.
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If this fails, then you will need to uninstall and do a clean install:
1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  If you had previous products of Avast, uninstall AIS and the other products at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

osants911

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »
Do you have any security program installed on your machine other than avast?

Have you installed any new software, driver or updates recently?(before problem started this morning)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
Ok, i am back in business. I recently went on a classifieds website called 'Gumtree.com' and Avast reported it had been infected with Malware but it had blocked the threat. Obviously on a re-start the Malware was able to disable Avast. The Malware found was called Broken.OpenCommand, which is a registry data item. Also used SUPERAntiSpyware and Hitman Pro, which found approx 200 Tracking cookies, which probably wouldn't have disabled avast but anyway.

Uninstalled Avast then re-installed and it now works again BUT i have 2 questions...

1. Windows 7 Action Centre is not recognising Avast Anti-Virus or Firewall. It reports that they are both turned off even though they are on

2. In Real Time shields > Sensitivity > Heuristics Sensitivity what is the major difference between the NORMAL AND HIGH settings. After this episode I am thinking of setting them all to HIGH.

Thanks all.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
I suggest you leave your Avast settings to default.  My concern is that some malware will disable your Security Center.  Please make sure your Avast definitions are up to date and run a Quick scan, then update MBAM again and run a FULL scan.  Post your MBAM log here in the thread.  Make sure if any infection comes up, that you put it in the Virus Chest for Avast and quarantine it with MBAM.

If you do not come out clean from the scans above, I would like you to also run an OTL log:

- Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

- Follow the directions for obtaining the OTL logs.  Post the MBAM log here and the two (2) OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Browse (the logs will be on your desktop > Post).  I will then refer you to our Certified Malware Removal Expert.

You can also try this regarding your Security Center (assuming you have no malware):

Sometimes, Windows Action Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.
1. Go to Control Panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on Services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop the Action Center service too.
    Let them Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY.  Leave the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/, Delete FXP http://www.jrtwine.com/ or KillBox http://killbox.net/ you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (you might need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database.  Once restarted, Windows Action Center should show the correct information, and antivirus and firewall should now be recognized.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »
Thanks. Windows 7 Action Centre is now recognising Avast again. Running all the scans again and so far so good computer is now clean :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:35 AM »
At least one problem is solved.  Let me know when all scans are done and if you come out clean and if your machine is working normally again.  Thank you.  :)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
All scans complete and system now clear of any malware/spyware/viruses. Thanks all.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast suddenly stopped working
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
I'm glad everything is now working properly again.  :D

Now that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.