Author Topic: Mail Protection Wizard - it's been awhile ...  (Read 4057 times)

Dirigo

Mail Protection Wizard - it's been awhile ...
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:35:30 PM »
Howdy All!

How do I initiate the "Mail Protection Wizard"?  I'm not sure if it is even called that, but did find two references to that term.  

It's been awhile since I actually installed  avast!, but I do faintly remember going through the process of running that wizard or something similar ... at least I think so.  Anyway, if I change my ISP, thus my POP3 and SMTP server names, how do I simply change the necessary parameters in the [Mail Scanner] section of the avast4.ini file.  I recognize it is a text file and could probably do so via a text editor, but, OTOH, is there a way to activate this "Mail Protection Wizard" to do the job?  Myself, I would go the text editor route, but am interested in being able to talk a few users through this wizard approach, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Dirigo

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Mail Protection Wizard - it's been awhile ...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:45:52 PM »
Real easy.
start > programs > alwil (avast) > mail wizzard

And if you had selected "protect future mail accounts" when you installed/configured Avast the first time, the new mail addresses should be protected already.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:47:33 PM by Eddy »

Dirigo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:14:10 AM »
Well, that sure would be easy ... but for whatever reason it doesn't look like I have that option available via the path you suggested!  I seem to have only thre (3) options here:  avast! Antivirus, avast! Web Site and  Help option!!!  It has been awhile since I installed avast!, and then there was that semi-fiasco where I inadvertently managed to d/l the Pro Edition and then reverted to the lastest and greatest Home Edition freebie.  Oh well ...

Hey Eddy ... did you change you name here?  I seem to remember another name with that image ... but just can't remember it quite right ... Arias .. am I even close?   ???   Anyway, thanks for your response.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:18:29 AM »
Hey Eddy ... did you change you name here?  I seem to remember another name with that image ... but just can't remember it quite right ... Arias .. am I even close?
Close but no sigar  ;D It was Artras. :D

Easy solution. Remove Avast, reboot, reinstall. That will ask you again to setup the mail protection from the start, removing the old email setting and set new rules for mail protection. It will also (re)create the items in the "start" menu and add the mail wizzard again which seems to be have gone for some odd reason.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:25:37 AM »
You can find and run the Mail Protection Wizard from here.

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashPopWz.exe"

Don't forget to close your email program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 12:34:30 AM »
Don't forget to close your email program.
Before you run the wizzard that is  ;D

Dirigo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 12:51:22 AM »
Eddy and DavidR ...

Thanks guys ... really do appreciate it!

Hey Eddy ... I was close enough, right?  We have a saying here "Close enuff 4 gub'mint work."   ;D

Yet, no "sigar"  ;D

Well, I'm off to try your suggestion(s).

Take care and thanks again!