Author Topic: think it was think point...  (Read 19045 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: think it was think point...
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
Still so far so good, but you know it has brought another question up for me to ask all of you experts...am I running to much or to little for protection programs...?  I know this one probably started from clicking the wrong thing on a social network site, and we won't be doing that again..but anyway we are running: avast (live), and the free on demand (they are only running when I open them i presume) programs are MBAM, ccleaner, tdss killer, hosts man, superantispyware and hitmanpro 3.5., defogger.  They seem to be interacting ok, and I do not see any negative interactions at this point. 
     Should i be putting zonealarm or sandboxie on this mini laptop as well?  Too much here??  Overwhelmed with overkill? probably.
Thanks all.
If you really want to add some extra protection to your system you could add the pro license to your MBAM, about $20 for lifetime.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
To remove all tools then

• Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave:

B_in Ohio

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
Thanks all. and craigb i might do the $20 for a lifetime on the mbam.  I think my buddy must have done that b/c his seems to run live and my free version does not.

Anyway essexboy, so you like spywareblaster better than hitmanpro and/or superantispyware? (i ask b/c those are already installed and seem to be ok.) does it use less resources? have you had better luck with it?  I guess it may come down to 6 in 1; 1/2 a dozen in the other?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
Spywareblaster just places killbits in your registry to stop spyware installing, and is totally passive.  I use this just as a backstop

I have some doubts about hitmanpro as I have seen it remove system files leaving the computer unbootable..Mind you it is easier to clean in that state  ;D

MBAM is the leader of the pack at the moment with SAS coming second, but positions change with time  ;D

B_in Ohio

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »
First of all, all - Thanks. thanks thanks.  I guess from you guys that have read the logs and the way my machine is behaving, i guess i am clean........yay :)

OK, i'm a bit of a novice compared to you folks, so  here is what is on there now, "Running avast (live), and the free on demand (they are only running when I open them i presume) programs are MBAM, ccleaner, tdss killer, hosts man, superantispyware and hitmanpro 3.5., defogger.  They seem to be interacting ok, and I do not see any negative interactions at this point."   So I think i get what you say about spywareblaster being passive.  The superantispyware comes up when i turn on the machine...
So am I running too much? It seems some are not doing anything until opened...I just d/l'd online-armor and installing that...(is the superantispyware going to interact with online armor if running at the same time?  I guess i will see in a bit.

should i delete anything that may be an interaction?  And i have installed some of the firefox adons, no script and adblock.

B_in Ohio

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
well online armor just blocked something...i have no idea what this is...(i will hit block)....computer was just sitting on avast website, in firefox and the following was blocked..."program deploy.jar"wants to run'.  located in c:program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy.jar.  the parent program listed as:"c:program files\java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe"...again i will hit block...but does anyone know what this is or how to rid it?
is something hiding in java?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
It is part of Java - to be honest if you do not use Java bin it - I have

B_in Ohio

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »
"Spywareblaster just places killbits in your registry to stop spyware installing, and is totally passive.  I use this just as a backstop"

About the spywareblaster and the killbits in the registry; I am a bit of a newbie..so I was wondering does that mean that once you install the program, it is in there or you have to "have it running" for it to put in the backstop/killbits..?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:09:40 AM by B_in Ohio »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »
Killbit is a registry clsid/activeX registry entry with an annotation after it stating that is never to be run or changed 

A small nearly legible explanation from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240797

B_in Ohio

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
Well all was good for a while, and now online armor asked if something was ok to access the internet and i did not answer, i went to get a cup of coffee and i came back and the computer was restarting itself,

only the HP message comes up and then it goes to a blank screen and a cursor in the upper left....

thats it....

How messed up is it???? :(

.....update.....I did a bit of searching...its either a really bad virus, but a scan with mbam and superantispyware did not reveal anything this morning just before it died.....or it is a hard drive failure..... I can get to the f9 at start up....but that's it....any ideas? anyone?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:10:44 PM by B_in Ohio »

YoKenny

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
It sure would help if you go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
I can get to the f9 at start up....but that's it....any ideas? anyone?

You mean F8, or what does F9 do on your system..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
A sudden break like that does sound like a hardware problem

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »
@essexboy and superhacker:

Latest Hitman Pro release:
Changed the default "Delete" action label on infected critical system files into "Replace". The old text confused some users. Please note that Hitman Pro never deletes critical system files or the master boot record. By design, Hitman Pro replaces (when available) infected files or code with verified clean safe versions and data.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
@essexboy and superhacker:

Latest Hitman Pro release:
Changed the default "Delete" action label on infected critical system files into "Replace". The old text confused some users. Please note that Hitman Pro never deletes critical system files or the master boot record. By design, Hitman Pro replaces (when available) infected files or code with verified clean safe versions and data.
Thanks for info I will download and try ;D
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.