Author Topic: Media, Flash or Java do not work anymore after Avast 4.8 Pro deinstallation  (Read 4309 times)

PURM1

I like to upgrade from 4.8 PRO version to Avast 5 free edition but when I use the removal tool in save mode and deinstall 4.8 PRO it seems flash and Java are no longer working in Explorer 8. The buttons are no longer active and it also looks like WMP is removed as my mp3 files are no longer working (msg cant find media server). When I use a different mediaplayer the files are working again

It looks like AVAST removed more then I wanted and I'm only able to restore the situation via system restore.

OPS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits, acer M5811 2.67GHz I5 CPU

Who can help me?? Many thanks in advance....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
have you tried reinstalling IE8 and WMP ?

PURM1

have you tried reinstalling IE8 and WMP ?

PURM1: No my machine is brand new (1 week old) and I asume there must be an easier fix..

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
reinstalling IE8 and WMP is easy.....

brand new machine....was it delivered with a preinstalled AV ?
did you uninstall it before you installed avast! ?
did you use a removal tool to clean all leftovers ?
you can find one here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

PURM1

reinstalling IE8 and WMP is easy.....

brand new machine....was it delivered with a preinstalled AV ?
did you uninstall it before you installed avast! ?
did you use a removal tool to clean all leftovers ?
you can find one here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

PURM1: No I installed AVAST 4 PRO myself but want to upgrade to AVAST 5 free edition to disable the popup screen indicating my version requires system update.
Now I tried to deinstall 4.8 pro and also upgrade from 4.8 to 5 without any luck
The thing is that all options will cause the same issues as listed above
Many thx for your replies, much appreciated

Brgds Paul

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
I like to upgrade from 4.8 PRO version to Avast 5 free edition but when I use the removal tool in save mode and deinstall 4.8 PRO it seems flash and Java are no longer working in Explorer 8. The buttons are no longer active and it also looks like WMP is removed as my mp3 files are no longer working (msg cant find media server). When I use a different mediaplayer the files are working again

It looks like AVAST removed more then I wanted and I'm only able to restore the situation via system restore.

OPS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits, acer M5811 2.67GHz I5 CPU

Who can help me?? Many thanks in advance....
Avast does not touch any of those elements during an upgrade or re-install.  I am using it quite happily on 7 64bit and have experienced none of those problems.  As a test  uninstall 4.8 and reboot, check whether IE8 and WMP are working.  Install 5.0 and redo the checks - lets know the result 

PURM1

Thanks this resolved my problem.....