Author Topic: New zip with exe emails  (Read 3795 times)

larrylwill

New zip with exe emails
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
Today I got 2 deferent emails with 2 files inside
one was from admin@manufacturer.com
and the message was file .zip contain all information!
and the file was password_log.txt.zip and inside the zip was password_log.txt.exe
The 2nd was from julia@hotmail.com
and the message was 'r you in the pict ?
:)

and the file was IMG-280710.jpg.zip and the file was IMG-280710.jpg.exe
Avast did not flag them. Does anybody know what they are?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New zip with exe emails
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »
At the very least they are social engineering attempts to get you to run the two files inside the .zip and these may well then go on to download malware.

If you still have copies of these two .exe files, add them to the chest and send to avast.

Send the sample/s to avast as a Undetected Malware:
Open the chest and right click in the Chest and select Add, navigate to where you have the sample and add it to the chest (see image). Once in the chest, right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nez Man

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
How about you hide your hotmail.co.uk email address to prevent spammer and scammers harvesting your address ;)

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your email address.

Dividing by Zero is infinitely questionable :o
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:39:54 PM by YoKenny »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bong2x

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
Dividing by Zero is infinitely questionable
Actually variable divide by zero is the variable you think is right  or derives as whatever you said as the  answer is right

Showing that  Variable/0=∞ but ∞ can be 4/0 also

So Variable/0=4/0
multiply both side by zero you get variable  = 4

because I make it 4 so the answer is four

even we going to check replace Variable by 4

we got 4/0=4/0 and it is correct

kidding ha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry off topic

Nez Man

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »
How about you hide your hotmail.co.uk email address to prevent spammer and scammers harvesting your address ;)

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your email address.

Dividing by Zero is infinitely questionable :o

Haha.

Naa, I'll keep my E. mail address totally public. I appreciate your advice, but I simply let all of the junk and spam E. mail I get go right into my Junk folder. The small 10% or so of junk and spam E. mail that manages to scrape by into my Inbox folder gets swiftly marked as Junk, so it's no hassle for me.  ;)

The spam E. mails I get from time to time are actually so bad and unconvincing, they're hilarious to read and really brighten up my day. So much so, that spam really doesn't bother me at all. I find it rather entertaining that people think obviously fake bank websites and fake pharmacy products are something I'm going to fall for.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:49:46 PM by Naean »

larrylwill

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »
The internet has been down since about 1pm. I just got back up and submitted the files, since then I just got another image file from a different hotmail account.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I may copy them to a laptop I don't use and try to find out what they are.