Author Topic: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update  (Read 12518 times)

bridezilla924

Avast 5.0.677 cannot update
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:43:34 AM »
Hello,

I just installed Avast Pro on Vista Ultimate32bit and I cannot get it to update. I'm using windows firewall and have allowed the majority of .exe's to access outbound connection. Maybe I'm missing one I don't know. I have set the ports to 80, 443, 12080. Do I need to add a missing port?

See attachment. I can't make out the date of the definitions.

osants911

Re: Avast 5.0.677 cannot update
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »
Hi, bridezilla924

Are you sure that AvastSvc.exe is allowed to connect the internet?

If not, you should allow it to connect to the internet.

If you you have installed with defeault setting, it is located under

C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast5

Hope this helps

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
Hello bridezilla924 and welcome to the forum.  :)

In situations like this, it is usually the person's firewall (FW) causing the problem, but it can also be a problem with the install since you just installed Avast Pro, remnants of previous security software, or malware can be an issue.

1. First, as the previous poster noted, make sure your FW is not blocking anything related to Avast.  If you made changes in your FW to block certain exe. files, change things back to default for now unless you absolutely know the file is not Avast-related.

2. Second, make sure you use the default settings listed below for connections:

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

3. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs, including trial versions?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

4. Forth, did you reboot after your installation and put in your license information? 

If you have done all of the above, I'd like you to try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Please report back with your findings.  Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
Hello,

I just installed Avast Pro on Vista Ultimate32bit and I cannot get it to update. I'm using windows firewall and have allowed the majority of .exe's to access outbound connection. Maybe I'm missing one I don't know. I have set the ports to 80, 443, 12080. Do I need to add a missing port?

See attachment. I can't make out the date of the definitions.
If your using the window's firewall you shouldn't have to add any exclusion's to it for avast,best to restore default setting's to the firewall and follow the instruction that SafeSurf has provided for you  :)

bridezilla924

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
Hi, bridezilla924

Are you sure that AvastSvc.exe is allowed to connect the internet?

If not, you should allow it to connect to the internet.

If you you have installed with defeault setting, it is located under

C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast5

Hope this helps

Yes, this is the first thing I did.
[/quote]

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Did you check the settings that I posted for you in my prior post?

I also asked you several questions that you have not answered yet (#3 & 4). 

If your problem are not yet resolved, please respond to my previous post and I or other Avast Evangelists will help you.  Thank you.

bridezilla924

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
I was in the middle of posting screen shots to you of what I had and I lost my whole network. I'm using a live cd right now.

Avast became unusable because I constantly got "not responding" when I tried to open the gui for anything.

I'm using windows advanced security for a FW in Vista and it is set up with all incoming connections blocked and all outbound is blocked that doesn't have a rule. I done a little test before I lost my network. I switched the outbound blocked to allow and avast updated which tells me that there is a .exe for a avast that needs access to the net or maybe a loopback rule.

The FW rules are made or linked to specific .exe in each program.

Another major problem I ran into that made everything worse was avast detected the shortcut to SuRun (as bad) as I was putting it on the desktop. I reported it as a false positive but it couldn't be sent cuz at the time had no connection. I forgot I had this live cd (thank god I did).SuRun is a program that is used to elevated priviliges to your programs only when needed when running a standard account and Software Restriction Policy. Because of avast doing this I cannot use my standard account at all until they fix this FP.

SRP (Software Restriction Policy) will only let programs run that are in C:\Program Files or C:\Windows so if avast is running something from some where else there has to be a path rule set. Since I have never used avast with this type of setup I wouldn't know.

As far as any other security program I had running is sandboxie, WF, avast that's it.With SRP you don't a bunch of security programs cuz nothing can install unless I install it and you need SuRun to install any program or run it.

I'm going to restore a image and start reinstalling everything over again but I will have to use the AV I was previously using until the FP is fixed and we figure out what and where .exe needs access to the net. I just bought a 2year license of avast. It's going to be a long next few days. It will take some time to figure this all out.

I'm going to try to resend that FP from avast before I restore a image.

EDIT:

Where is .exe for web shield? What is the abbreviation for the file? I looked in program files and it's not there.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:54:30 PM by bridezilla924 »

bridezilla924

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
I turned off the web shield and I get the net so web shield is blocking access. Where and whats the name of the file so I can add it to the FW and have internet access?

Okay, I have the web shield working but still cannot update.

Can you please give what .exe's with what ports are needed for inbound and outbound and I will be out of your hair.

I found this on the net but don't know if it still applies:

Allow aswWebSv.exe or ashWebSv.exe to TCP port 80 and permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from local host on TCP port 12080.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:38:54 PM by bridezilla924 »

bridezilla924

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »
Hello bridezilla924 and welcome to the forum.  :)

In situations like this, it is usually the person's firewall (FW) causing the problem, but it can also be a problem with the install since you just installed Avast Pro, remnants of previous security software, or malware can be an issue.

1. First, as the previous poster noted, make sure your FW is not blocking anything related to Avast.  If you made changes in your FW to block certain exe. files, change things back to default for now unless you absolutely know the file is not Avast-related.

No, I don't have any .exe's blocked.

2. Second, make sure you use the default settings listed below for connections:

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

I'm not sure what you mean here. Maybe you can tell from the screen shot I will post.

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

Both unchecked

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Auto-detect settings

3. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs, including trial versions?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

Sandboxie, that's it.

4. Forth, did you reboot after your installation and put in your license information?

Yes

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
I found this on the net but don't know if it still applies:
Allow aswWebSv.exe or ashWebSv.exe to TCP port 80 and permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from local host on TCP port 12080.
I'm sorry, I come on the forum at late hours.  Yes, you are correct with your above quote. 

Your settings from your screen shot looks good.

When you uninstall Avast, follow this procedure:

1. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.
- Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
2. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
3. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
4. Reboot.

Make sure when you uninstall your old antivirus (AV), that you follow your vendor's uninstaller tool prior to re-installing Avast so that no remnants remain in your machine.

How to reinstall Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for Pro and save it to your HDD:
Pro –  http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4
2. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
3. Get Internet access and add the license key for Pro.  You have the option of installing Chrome with your Avast install (default) however you can untick this if you do not want to install it or have it already.
4. Update the Avast definitions.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

bridezilla924

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
I mentioned in my post third one up that when I change outbound blocked rule to allow avast updates fine. Avast does not need to be uninstalled.

It's missing a rule that's why I asked previously what .exe's & ports for inbound and outbound does it need.

Which of these (aswWebSv.exe or ashWebSv.exe) are we supposed to use?

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »
Which of these (aswWebSv.exe or ashWebSv.exe) are we supposed to use?
In looking at my FW, the Avast related services that need to open for in/outbound for Avast to work is: AvastSvc.exe, avastUI.exe, and aswRdr.sys.

Again, if you are using Windows FW and you just installed Avast Pro, you should just use the default settings for your FW and Avast...you should not change any settings.  It sounds like you made multiple changes to your machine since you installed the software; hopefully you kept track of everything so you can un-do it. 

If anyone else has any other comments to add for this OP, it would be appreciated.  The OP is using Windows FW.

bridezilla924

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
I mentioned in one of my posts above that I don't use the default settings for WF cuz it allows all outbound that does not match a rule and it's not safe or secure. It's wide open. I have inbound & outbound blocked with the exception of rules made for my programs so nothing else can get in.

You have no rules for aswWebSv.exe or ashWebSv.exe?

Do you have any outbound rules? I know you wouldn't if your using WF default settings.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
@ bridezilla924
From your first post, re ports, get rid of the additions you have made.

Port 443 is associated with https, secure connections and avast can't scan encrypted traffic.

Port 12080, is a localhost port and that is where the web shield redirects port 80 traffic, so you have a circular redirection, which is likely to go round and round until it disappears up its own backside ;D

So set it back to its default of only port 80 being in that field.

The ashWebSv.exe doesn't exist in avast5 that is a throwback from avast 4.8, you were given the correct one before, avastSvc.exe as that controls all the avast shields. However the avast.setup file requires outbound permissions as it is that which does the actual updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bridezilla924

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:04 AM »
Hi David,

okay, this explains everything; I had port 12080 as a remote port not local. And port 443 will be deleted.

No need for ashWebSv.exe or aswWebSv.exe.

Thank you for the useful information.