Author Topic: Cannot resume downloads  (Read 6838 times)

hmonk

Cannot resume downloads
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »
In searching this forum for answers to dialup download issues, I am struck by the ubiquitous advice (tendered by newbs and gurus alike) to employ that APC known as the DL manager, although some suggest that certain browsers and/or one's OS will suffice. This advice is often given in face of one's lament that he or she cannot resume a DL.

The fact is, in the first place, in order for a DL to be able to be resumed, the host server must permit it. When one clicks on the Avast DL link, one is ushered to download.cnet.com, WHICH DOES NOT SUPPORT RESUMABLE DLS! "Managers and acceleraters: At this time CNET Downloads does not support download accelerators and download managers. Part of the effort to make our site trusted, safe, and secure was moving our files onto our HTTP Hosting servers. These files are automatically scanned for viruses during the upload process, allowing us to distribute products to our users securely and safely. In addition, our HTTP servers block all additional, unauthorized traffic from accessing our HTTP network including warez sites, and also may block certain download accelerators and download managers." So much for ubiquitous advice. Furthermore, mirror sites, i.e., softpedia, majorgeeks, etc., likewise do not support resumable DLs - and they tell one so.

I am one whose remote locus and satellite-blocked-view limits me to dialup. Depending on the site (49MB at cnet, 45MB at softpedia), I cannot DL v.5.0.667 before an imposed 4-hour log off strikes. When I am automatically reconnected one minute later, the DL WILL NOT resume because the host will not permit it, notwithstanding the presence of my DL manager(s).

So I have DLed and installed Avira Antivir and its virus definitions database, having been permitted to resume the interrupted DLs. Perhaps, at some future date, Avast will permit DLs from a server that permits resumable DLs. Need I mention that I did not find a link here to a resumable server?

Monk

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Cannot resume downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
In some of the threads, direct links to Avast servers have been mentioned.  I use GetRight download manager,  and just downloaded the English 5.0.677 Free version from the link below.  It supports resume.

http://download833.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
Direct download (multilingual) from the official avast servers here:
avast! 5.x Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
avast! 5.x Pro Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
avast! 5.x Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
Maybe GetRight download manager for $19.95 is worth it for dial-up users:
http://getright.com/buy-getright.html

Once the avast! database is up to date then updates are incremental.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
Maybe GetRight download manager for $19.95 is worth it for dial-up users:
http://getright.com/buy-getright.html

Once the avast! database is up to date then updates are incremental.

I purchased it long ago when I was on dial-up which would log the user off every two hours.  One could log right back on if a connection was available and usually there was one available.  It saved a bunch of time.  I still use it now on cable, as it retains the download URL and allows a right click "Check for Updates".  As with hmunk's situation, if the dl server doesn't support resume this doesn't work because the link is dynamically created by the server.  If the program version is included in the filename, "Check for Updates" obviously is of no real use.

FileZilla may be a good free alternative download manager.  http://filezilla-project.org/

i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

hmonk

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will investigate the links provided but do remember: in discussing DL managers, the host server - not the DL manager - dictates the ability to resume DLs. For example, a sticky at Majorgeeks identifies the issue: "People with dialup connections often have trouble using a download manager. The reason for this is that download links expire to protect us from other websites linking to our files. In other words, after a few hours your browser and download manager are trying to download from a link that no longer exists."

As long as one is connected to a time-dependent link, the server will maintain the connection regardless of the time connected. After a set period, as Majorgeeks notes, an interruption will permanently close the link. Notwithstanding the capability of a DL manager, if the link to the DL no longer exists, there is no source from which to resume.

Thanks again for your responses.

Monk

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »
hmonk,  you are correct in that the server must support resume.  Avast itself has several servers that support resume.  The link that I provided is live and does support resume.  I've tested by stopping the download, restarting Windows and resumed later, even several days later.  The link provided by me and those by Asyn are for the current release.  The only reason that those wouldn't resume is if you were downloading one version and it was stopped for any reason and the download server was updated to a newer release in the period before resuming.

A download manager simply makes things simpler.  Most can be set to start a download and turn off the machine when done, and can redial the ISP if connection is lost.

hmonk

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »
@Gopher John

Thanks for the link. Curiously, the download.cnet link on the Avast DL page refers to a DL of 49MB; a softpedia link to a DL of 45MB. The link you provided was for a 41MB which Orbit handled in just over 3 hours. I presume that the other links included bloatware (toolbars, etc) that pushed me over the 4-hour connect limit. So, after all, I was able to DL v. 5.0.667 without incident.

Thanks again,

Monk

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Monk,

I'm just checking to see if everything is working for you now.  If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:34:04 AM by SafeSurf »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »
@Gopher John

Thanks for the link. Curiously, the download.cnet link on the Avast DL page refers to a DL of 49MB; a softpedia link to a DL of 45MB. The link you provided was for a 41MB which Orbit handled in just over 3 hours. I presume that the other links included bloatware (toolbars, etc) that pushed me over the 4-hour connect limit. So, after all, I was able to DL v. 5.0.667 without incident.

Thanks again,

Monk

Glad to see that you got it. :)

No toolbars.  The link that I provided is for the English only version of the install.  The others include multiple languages, which account for part of the increase in size.  I don't know why there is a difference between cnet and softpedia.

Perhaps Avast should post file checksums on their site, so we can verify our downloaded install programs regardless of source.  The differences in size have been a source of concern on this forum before.