Author Topic: unable to start firewall  (Read 4449 times)

REDACTED

unable to start firewall
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:22 AM »
I had to reset, and now I can't restart The avast! antivirus program, I tried to click on the "fix now" button and a message saying "The following component could not be started: Firewall", and when I go to Firewall sttings and click on start a message saying "unable to start Firewall" comes up.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: unable to start firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:52:22 AM »
I had to reset, and now I can't restart The avast! antivirus program, I tried to click on the "fix now" button and a message saying "The following component could not be started: Firewall", and when I go to Firewall sttings and click on start a message saying "unable to start Firewall" comes up.

What do you mean by "reset"? Have you tried restarting your computer?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:41:30 PM by Charyb »

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »

Maybe try a repair?  Begin as if you are uninstalling Avast! normally, but choose the repair option when it presents itself.

osants911

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
Do you have any third-party firewall installed other than avast! Internet Security?

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
annette1020@hotmail.com,  (NOTE:  You should change your user name to a name that no one can use as a link...not your email)

Do you have Avast Internet Security (AIS) installed on your machine?

Please try to Repair Avast:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Did you just install AIS?  If so, did you have any problems installing it?  Did you reboot after your install?

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus, firewall, and other security programs? 
- How did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

Let us know if the Repair fixed your problem.  Thank you.