Author Topic: How stay protected when uninstalling before installing security programs?  (Read 3032 times)

lee88

When downloading new versions of security programs, I go online (I have dialup) and download the program I want to install and save it to desktop. Then I go offline and uninstall the program I want to replace and reboot. Then I install the new program, BUT if for some reason there's a problem and the new program doesn't install (that recently happened to me with Avast 5.0) and I have to go back online to download the program again or to do anything online, I am unprotected. In the instance with avast 5.0, I had to download it again, which took hours, and I was vulnerable to viruses all that time. If you need to uninstall the old program before installing the new one and then the install fails, what's the remedy for staying protected, especially for all those with broadband?  ???

BRANDONN2008

Re: How stay protected when uninstalling before installing security programs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:04:41 AM »
I'd say as long as your computer wasn't infected before uninstalling the programs, you should be fine, as long as you only go to the manufacturer websites of the security programs you're downloading, and nowhere else.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 04:09:45 AM »
Surely you still have the copy that you first downloaded, unless that was corrupt and you had corruption errors (you never mentioned what the problem was) then you can reuse that.

Up until just over two months ago I was on dial-up (only then was I able to get a slow broadband service) and that was what I always did download the new version and save it so it can be used again if required. I also usually have a copy of the avast uninstall utility squirrelled away to, so I can do a clean reinstall. Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one, aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD.

Above all else if you can't get broadband, find a friend with broadband or local library, etc. so if you do have to go on-line where on dial-up it would take hours, ask them or use their service and save the file to a USB stick.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »
I'd say as long as your computer wasn't infected before uninstalling the programs, you should be fine, as long as you only go to the manufacturer websites of the security programs you're downloading, and nowhere else.

I would say that would be absolutely crazy on dial-up, not you should be fine, going on-line unprotected could see you infected in minutes, when on dial-up it could take hours and that is too much of a risk.

It isn't the manufacturers website that you should be worried about but other attacks. I can recall getting infected many, many years ago when I still had AVG installed when visiting the Windows Update site to get the latest security updates after installing XP Pro. I got hit by the Sasser worm within minutes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

timcan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

and I have to go back online to download the program again or to do anything online, I am unprotected. In the instance with avast 5.0, I had to download it again, which took hours, and I was vulnerable to viruses all that time. If you need to uninstall the old program before installing the new one and then the install fails, what's the remedy for staying protected, especially for all those with broadband?  ???
Hi, you can run your browser sandboxed.http://www.sandboxie.com/,the unregistered version is a free limited version.
And of course have your firewall active. Hope this helps.