Author Topic: FREE Tuneup tool  (Read 29925 times)

ziucqea

Re: FREE Tuneup tool
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Advanced SystemCare is actually fairly good... I've been using its pro version for over one year now, and no problem so far.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
Advanced SystemCare is actually fairly good... I've been using its pro version for over one year now, and no problem so far.
Does'nt take away the fact that they are a distrustful company who steal from other company's (MALWAREBYTES) in particular.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:35 PM »
The product might be, but the company has some moral bad form with intellectual property rights.

So for me it wouldn't matter how good a product is (aside from I wouldn't use any tuneup application) if there is any suspicion/history about the company, I wouldn't use their products. There are plenty of other applications without this question about moral/ethical activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DarkMasters

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

Advanced SystemCare is a good tools, assuming that you know what you're doing and what file and registry entry that is safe to delete or not. Most problem coming from it is because most user using the autocare feature (scan and clean/delete).

I've tried Advanced SystemCare out of curiosity that this application listed as the most downloaded in diagnostic software section.

@ happy avast user
Ashampoo WinOptimizer is a good tool (I've got it free from promotion, but it's not a free tool), again assuming that you know what you're doing.

CCleaner is a good Windows cleaning tool. I always use this for an easy way to clean junk file.

Microsoft Sysinternals is a good handy tools to have. It contains many small useful application. I always use this myself for tweaking and monitoring.

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
@ DarkMasters

You have much to learn :'(

Please read what DavidR and SafeSurf had to say:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66269.msg559123#msg559123
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66269.msg559046#msg559046

DarkMasters

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »
@ DarkMasters

You have much to learn :'(

Please read what DavidR and SafeSurf had to say:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66269.msg559123#msg559123
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66269.msg559046#msg559046

I know about IObit Security 360 which have a bad history for being caught using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware definition database. I know that at the time of MBAM forum members spreading the word in many forum and sites. I'm saying Advanced SystemCare being good is simply because I have try it and it's good. I do agree with many who said that the IObit and all it's child company products are not to be trusted since they stealing intellectual property right of others.

I'm commenting about Advanced SystemCare for anyone who want to use the product. I, myself didn't use the product because I know the company history and didn't like it. I merely trying it. My personal choice is what I'm referring to happy avast user in my comment above.

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
I'm commenting about Advanced SystemCare for anyone who want to use the product. I, myself didn't use the product because I know the company history and didn't like it. I merely trying it.
I can comment on Advanced SystemCare (ASC) because not only did I try it years ago, but now I am fixing many user's problems who have it on their system and it has caused numerous problems.  I do NOT recommend it, and if anything I suggest uninstalling it.  It conflicts with other security software and it is bloated (heavy on your system), not to mention it leaves remnants behind upon uninstallation unless you go into Safe Mode to remove them.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
I sent link to this topic to Auslogics and their response:

Hello Omid,
Thank you for your e-mail.

It is the Internet – lots of people, lots of opinions. Some people like BoostSpeed, some don’t. There are lots of people that do not trust system optimizing tools at all – maybe they had a negative usage experience from one of the tools in the past and now they blame all of such tools.

The amount of positive feedback is much greater, this is the thing that matters.

Good luck!

--
Best regards,
Gennady,
Auslogics Software Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia
http://www.auslogics.com
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
I don't understand why you guys are refering to CCleaner as a tune up program. It's not, it's a clean up tool, that's all it is. A tune up program usually includes some form of temp file cleaning(like CCleaner), allows you to change core windows system settings, change program icons, windows themes, cleaning and defragging of registry etc. etc.

Don't mix apples and oranges.

That said i agree that these tune up programs usually do more harm than good. At least when used by inexperienced users. I understand Omid's view though, being an experienced user he knows exactly with what he can play with. I used to use TuneUp Utilities myself but the only real function of the program that was actually usefull for me(i do my tweaking the manual way so i never let it change any windows settings) was the Turbo mode it has(disables Win Updates, Aero, postpones scheduled tasks etc.) since it was usefull for single player gaming. But that's about it, the rest of the programs functions i did not use(aside from testing them). Though to be fair the defrag in there wasn't really that bad and the program does explain in a very understandable way of what each individual tweak actually does. Still wouldn't recommend to the novice though. The potential for disaster is too great.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
I don't understand why you guys are refering to CCleaner as a tune up program. It's not, it's a clean up tool, that's all it is. A tune up program usually includes some form of temp file cleaning(like CCleaner), allows you to change core windows system settings, change program icons, windows themes, cleaning and defragging of registry etc. etc.

Don't mix apples and oranges.

That said i agree that these tune up programs usually do more harm than good. At least when used by inexperienced users. I understand Omid's view though, being an experienced user he knows exactly with what he can play with. I used to use TuneUp Utilities myself but the only real function of the program that was actually usefull for me(i do my tweaking the manual way so i never let it change any windows settings) was the Turbo mode it has(disables Win Updates, Aero, postpones scheduled tasks etc.) since it was usefull for single player gaming. But that's about it, the rest of the programs functions i did not use(aside from testing them). Though to be fair the defrag in there wasn't really that bad and the program does explain in a very understandable way of what each individual tweak actually does. Still wouldn't recommend to the novice though. The potential for disaster is too great.
The conversation turned to ccleaner because where suggesting that it is safer to keep your system clean and running fast rather than installing dodgy and useless tuneup tool's, and technicly a cleanup of your system is like a tuneup.

iRonzel

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
Everybody here talk only about open source applications. What about TuneUp Utilities and System Mechanic? (I am NOT promoting these programs, only for your opinions)

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

http://iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/?utm_content=homebanner#New-Features

Nesivos

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
For cleaning the registry I use on both 32b and 64b XP and W7

iObit Toolbox - Its free and has 20 useful tools

iObit and Malwarebytes settled their differences amicably about a month after the stink hit the internet.  There was never a lawsuit or anything like that.  Malwarebytes issed a statement saying it was no longer an issue after the iObit Security360 signature database was reduced in size significantly.

Even if we assume that iObit was using Malwarebytes signatures to my knowledge it was never publicly stated how iObit came by the signatures.

It could have been new iObit employee who had left Malwarebytes took the signature database with him/her out of spite.  It could be that this person was part of the design team for iObit Security360.

Then once this issue became public iObit management like everyone else found out what happened.  iObit management could then have immediately terminated that employee and removed the signatures from their iObit Security360 databsse.

The points are

1.  The whole issue lasted only a month
2.  No lawsuit ever came out of it
3.  To my knowledge it never became public how iObit obtained those signatures.

It would not be the first time :) that a tech person has left one company and taken stuff with them to their new company.  I know that this happens for a fact having worked for decades in the high-tech industry in California USA

I also use Wise Disk and Registry Clearners.  Both are free and to my knowledge the free versions have to restrictions.

Both the Registry Cleaner in iObit's Toolbox and Wise Registry cleaner make a backup of your registry before cleaning it.

If you want to be super paranoid you can always use Windows to make a backup of your Registry before cleaning it.

I do have Windows make a daily backup of the Registry on each of my computers.  This would fall more under the heading of prudent rather than paranoid. :) :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:52:45 PM by Nesivos »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »
The conversation turned to ccleaner because where suggesting that it is safer to keep your system clean and running fast rather than installing dodgy and useless tuneup tool's, and technicly a cleanup of your system is like a tuneup.

Maybe i should've quoted...

CCleaner is the safest tune-up tool to use imo.

Agreed.

It's not a tune up tool it's a cleaning tool. It's not tuning anything, it's deleting junk(temp files). The correct term for CCleaner would be system cleaning tool.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:21:28 PM by El Nano »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »

+1  ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

Maybe i should've quoted...

CCleaner is the safest tune-up tool to use imo.

Agreed.

It's not a tune up tool it's a cleaning tool. It's not tuning anything, it's deleting junk(temp files). The correct term for CCleaner would be system cleaning tool.
It does a bit more than just deleting junk files, you can also use it to uninstall programs, modify your startup's,cleanup restore points, cleanup the registry and there is now a drive wiper included to. Best little tool around i think's  :)