Author Topic: Avast update sound file is too loud  (Read 15045 times)

AvastUser777

Avast update sound file is too loud
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
"Avast virus database has been updated."

Great, but the file's volume is way too loud. My speakers aren't even turned up halfway, and neither is my soundcard controls.

How do I turn the Avast update sound file, down?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast update sound file is too loud
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
No problem on mine, but I only use the monitors speakers, turn them down more, there is no volume control on the avast audio files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24:53 AM »
I completely turn off all system and startup sounds as well as Avast! sounds. I have no use for any of it.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
My speakers have a volume control so not a problem. ???
printed on 100% recycled bytes

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:12:26 AM »
we can use the silent/gaming mode to off the the avast sound ;)

AvastUser777

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
My speakers have a volume control so not a problem. ???

Cute. Mine has a volume knob too as I imagine all of them do. However--as I clearly stated--my speakers are not even turned up half way, and that's more than an adequate setting. The problem is the sound file, not the difficulty of turning a volume knob to the left... I'm not about to turn my volume knob to zero and not be able to hear anything on my computer just because Avast's sound file is too loud, which is what I'd have to do since the updates come in throughout the day and night.

No problem on mine, but I only use the monitors speakers, turn them down more, there is no volume control on the avast audio files.

No.

"Turning them down more" is not a solution... I'm surprised by a response like that.

My speakers are already set at a reasonable volume (as I pointed out before), and turning them down at the amout needed to reduce this Avast sound file volume would cause me not to hear every other sound which isn't set as ridiculously loud as Avast's sound file. Instead of your suggestion which would actually create a new problem, how about Avast looking into it and seeing what they can do on their end for their customer? It would be pretty simple for Avast to just reduce the volume of its sound file in an update. Very simple. Problem solved for everyone.

AvastUser777

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
Thanks. I'm out.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:55:26 AM »
This problem has not previously come to my attention. I know a number of users who have avast! sounds turned off but I can't say whether or not it's because of the volume level. My wife has unchecked "Use voiceover sounds (when available)" on her laptop and the ding is not noticeably louder than the email notification from Thunderbird. I find the "Pirate Talk" language to be easier on the ears but that may not be a suitable workaround.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:03:20 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

echosonic

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:17:55 AM »
Avast is so loud it startles me, makes me mad and makes me hate Avast, regardless of how wonderful it might otherwise be.  And another thing, what's wrong with Avast engineers and marketing people?  Don't they read their own blogs?  Where do I go to read what Avast has to say about their unwelcome invasion of my privacy.  Oh, I know what happened, a hacker got into their site, set the virtural announce volume fader on 11 and then wacked access to the volume control.  Avast can't admit they got hacked and wacked.  Remember you guys, things haven't changed that much, the customer is still always right.  So fix it!!! 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:00:10 AM »
There is a thread at techguy forums where suggestions are made for programs to adjust individual wav's. Several links to various programs proffered, there, too.
You might want to choose one of them and try it out.

(Yeah, I know, shouldn't have to. But you do, if you want to moderate them. I have the same issue, but not with Avast sounds. More other files; there are large variations in volume of source sound files at times. Eg: some youtube videos are so loud they distort, some can be barely heard.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:13:23 AM »
Avast is so loud it startles me, makes me mad and makes me hate Avast, regardless of how wonderful it might otherwise be.  And another thing, what's wrong with Avast engineers and marketing people?  Don't they read their own blogs?  Where do I go to read what Avast has to say about their unwelcome invasion of my privacy.  Oh, I know what happened, a hacker got into their site, set the virtural announce volume fader on 11 and then wacked access to the volume control.  Avast can't admit they got hacked and wacked.  Remember you guys, things haven't changed that much, the customer is still always right.  So fix it!!! 
If avast is to loud for you and you dont want to turn down your system sound's then just disable avast sound's, easy as that :), iv got my system volume set at about a third and it is quite reasonable.
By comming here and stating demand's you are more likely to have people ignore you, better to ask nicely :)

Kilia

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 09:14:37 AM »
Huh??

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
He's sounding off.  :-X
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »

What's the big deal anyway?

Just turn off avast sounds in the GUI and stop crying.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:35:24 AM by CharleyO »

Silk0

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
Avast is so loud it startles me, makes me mad and makes me hate Avast, regardless of how wonderful it might otherwise be.  And another thing, what's wrong with Avast engineers and marketing people?  Don't they read their own blogs?  Where do I go to read what Avast has to say about their unwelcome invasion of my privacy.  Oh, I know what happened, a hacker got into their site, set the virtural announce volume fader on 11 and then wacked access to the volume control.  Avast can't admit they got hacked and wacked.  Remember you guys, things haven't changed that much, the customer is still always right.  So fix it!!!  

Haters gonna hate... :)  If you don't like, change it. Simple, hein?

Sorry but i had to say that cause it's true.  :P

Happy New Year.  ;)