Author Topic: AVAST 5 vs AVAST 4.8 (Let's talk about it!)  (Read 13080 times)

Yance

AVAST 5 vs AVAST 4.8 (Let's talk about it!)
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:52:49 AM »
For many reason, i think Avast 4.8 still better than Avast 5. Yes, avast 5 has a good & new feature, no doubt about it! But in my experience, avast 4.8 more useful to solve the virus problem than avast 5.

It is just my opinion and experience, what about the other people??
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:08:24 PM by Yance »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: AVAST 5 vs AVAST 4.8 (Let's talk about it!)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
I find that avast 5 loads faster and scans faster for me on my computer. And It protects you more with the feature on it called the Shields.
Plus its easier to use. i have avast! free version if you want to see what the interface of avast 5 looks like see picture below :)
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Yance

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
I find that avast 5 loads faster and scans faster for me on my computer. And It protects you more with the feature on it called the Shields.
Plus its easier to use. i have avast! free version if you want to see what the interface of avast 5 looks like see picture below :)

Yes, avast 5 is very light and easy to use than avast 4.8. But i have found many times that avast 5 can't to install in infected system to clean the system, but i can do that with avast 4.8. Avast 5 also highly dependent on the condition of windows system. If windows system are good, then avast works fine. too I often find that avast to be not functioning well when the windows have a slight problem, especially on a network problem.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:46:07 PM by Yance »

jds

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
I've just posted something relevant here :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63377.msg559468#msg559468

The only other comment I would make is that when I install avast 4.8, I always opt to NOT install the 'skins'. The user interface is much better that way!

Joe.

dmoore102

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
Well - it could be something I am doing but I found that even though Avast! says that Win 2K Pro is supported (using Avast! 5.0 Internet Security version) - alas - it is not. 
I can install it on my system but it disables my LAN connection.  Again - perhaps a cockpit error on my part perhaps.   To get things back up and running - I have elected to go back to Avast! 4.8 on my Win 2K Pro machine.

As far as my Win XP computer (another machine entirely) - Avast! 5.0 installed OK and I don't yet have any issues.

I am a somewhat skilled user - but not a computer pro.  More like a 'hacker' who puts his systems together for a hobby.

Cheers
Don

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
Well - it could be something I am doing but I found that even though Avast! says that Win 2K Pro is supported (using Avast! 5.0 Internet Security version) - alas - it is not.

Hi Don,

avast! Free (actual version) is working on my Win 2k Pro machine very well.
I use it since a few months an I never had special problems with it.
There were a few bugs in the past/at the beginning of version 5,  but the avast!-Team did a great job and repaired all these bugs in a very short time.

And I asked the avast!-Team with E-Mail, if the following version 6 will support Win 2k, too.
They answered very fast, that version 6 will support Win 2k, too.

Because of this points, I don't think, that your problem is avast!.
In my opinion anything else is wrong...
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »
I have never used Avast! 4.8. I was a user of BitDefender, Norton, and McAfee. Will never go back to these. Two in particular. I really like the simplicity of AIS 5.0. User interface is top notch. Uncluttered! Had some problems in the beginning that were very irritating but that seems to have worked itself out. I would like to see some higher quality reporting though. Avast! continues and continues to improve. You are speaking of upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0 but I am looking forward to upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 and 6.0.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:20:07 PM by Charyb »

spede1

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »
I wouldnt used Avast 4.8.  I installed it once and I hated the MP3 player look for an antivirus program. I'm glad they changed it to look like a real application now.  As far as Avast 5.0, I bought a 2 year license but wont use it because it doesnt clean cookies (I dont need to hear that cookies arent a threat).  Currently using Norton IS 2011.  I do plan to try 5.1 when it comes out to see if the added changes make it worth using.  Other than that I like avast 5.0's interface and it's light on the system, scans are relatively fast.   I dont like the Avast 5.0 desktop Icon, it looks like I was visited by a bird.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:54:28 PM by spede1 »

bong2x

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:23:28 AM »
(I dont need to hear that cookies arent a threat).  Currently using Norton IS 2011.
is norton can clean cookies in 64-bit system? i don't believe it. i never noticed that??? because my friend laptop core i3 win7-64 bit has norton 2011 and all day updating so we cannot test if it is can remove 64-bit tracking cookies ;D

spede1

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »
Norton can and does clean cookies on Windows 7/Vista 64bit using a 32bit browser.  I dont know if it does with Internet Explorer 64bit, I dont use it.  I mostly use Firefox,
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:34:29 AM by spede1 »

bong2x

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 12:57:44 AM »
will is your web browser can still surf faster as you remove this cookies???

::) im thinking that cookies in 32-bit is stored in C:/Document and setting/user name/cookies and it is load to browser only if you going to log-in. but in 64-bit this folder cannot be physically access you need some process.
and 64-bit cookies is intact in the browser itself ;) so if you going to remove it by using some process can cause surf slowdown :)

By the way we can manually remove cookies in the browser itself if we are 64-bit user

if you are FF user you can access it here
Tools>Option>privacy>removed individual cookies. there you can choose the cookies to be deleted

if you are IE user you can access it here
Tools>developer tools>cache  there you can clear session cookies or cookies for domain.

question: why do you need to be worried about cookies in 64-bit system if this system do not stored cookies in windows folder or function???

can you give me the correct answer?

Best Regards!!!

Yance

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
You are speaking of upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0 but I am looking forward to upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 and 6.0.
The point of my post is that the ability of avast 4.8 to clean the virus is better than avast 5. I hope in 5.1 and 6.0 avast not 'weak' like the version 5.

bong2x

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
You are speaking of upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0 but I am looking forward to upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 and 6.0.
The point of my post is that the ability of avast 4.8 to clean the virus is better than avast 5. I hope in 5.1 and 6.0 avast not 'weak' like the version 5.

personal experience??? possibly in the naked eyes but technically not :P :P :P

Reason --> 4.8 sniff virus only after the virus is infect the system so instead you have only one alert become 2 the system file and the executable file. that make the user think the attack is multiple

5.0 only 1 alert "block" so it means it does not infect your system. it is block before the process is done

so now i have my technical reason about those differences

now show us your reason why you can say that 4.8 is better than 5.0 technically ;) :D

Regards!!!!

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »
4.8 - Ads on the program is terrible to see compared to 5.0. which is perfectly fit on it.

5.0 - Mores protections, better detection, better cleaning for somes heavies viruses, scan speed, low ram, clean interface, help center for beginners, etc.

Web - New forum design. More professional.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:12:45 PM by Mr.Agent »

somesome11

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
I've gotta say, I really like Avast 5  ;D

The GUI is much improved, the defacto voice is better (seems more volume appropriate too), and both Avast versions seem to offer great protection, perhaps 5 is a little better? I mainly care about avast's resident scanner, its stopped countless malware attacks for me, so I'm a happy camper.

I was hesitant to update to 5, since 4.8 was so great, but I finally did, and now have it on all of my PCs, and like it.