Author Topic: AVAST 5 vs AVAST 4.8 (Let's talk about it!)  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST 5 vs AVAST 4.8 (Let's talk about it!)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »
I've gotta say, I really like Avast 5  ;D
I was hesitant to update to 5, since 4.8 was so great, but I finally did, and now have it on all of my PCs, and like it.

Great...!
Thanks for your feedback..! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Yance

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »
You are speaking of upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0 but I am looking forward to upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 and 6.0.
The point of my post is that the ability of avast 4.8 to clean the virus is better than avast 5. I hope in 5.1 and 6.0 avast not 'weak' like the version 5.

personal experience??? possibly in the naked eyes but technically not :P :P :P

Reason --> 4.8 sniff virus only after the virus is infect the system so instead you have only one alert become 2 the system file and the executable file. that make the user think the attack is multiple

5.0 only 1 alert "block" so it means it does not infect your system. it is block before the process is done

so now i have my technical reason about those differences

now show us your reason why you can say that 4.8 is better than 5.0 technically ;) :D

Regards!!!!

In my experience using avast 5, my windows 7 ultimate (32bit) machine infected with same virus twice. Avast 5 did not block the virus. Avast can detect the virus after i run a mannual scan. I already submit the virus sample before but after in a few month my system is infected again with the same virus. Avast can detect the virus when i do the mannual scan, but why did not block it before the virus infecting my system?? Second, avast 5 service (real time scan)often can running if we install on infected system. In the past, i fully trusted with avast in my job to remove the virus from the infected system. If computer infected by the virus (even sality, virut, vitro, etc), i can install avast 4.8 and do the mannual scan or boot time scan, and avast almost can remove the virus and all infected file. Despite the consequences, sometimes the windows system also removed and windows were damaged. But, if i try to solve the infected system using avast 5, avast 5 can to install but the service (real time) even avast gui can't running. I think it some of weakness. Three, when i do a scan over the network, often avast not detect any virus on the remote/other computer. But avast 4.8 can detect it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:47:32 AM by Yance »

bong2x

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »
If computer infected by the virus like sality, virut, vitro, etc, i can install avast 4.8 and do the mannual scan or boot time scan, and avast almost can remove the virus and all infected file. Despite the consequences, sometimes the windows system also removed and windows were damaged. But, if i try to solve the infected system using avast 5, avast 5 can to install but the service (real time) even avast gui can't running. I think it some of weakness. Three, when i do a scan over the network, often avast not detect any virus on the remote/other computer. But avast 4.8 can detect it.
[/quote]

prevention is better than cure :D :D :D

there are some virus that is metamorphic, it can be identify only if infect your system. in avast 5 this virus do not have a change to infect the system because of file system shield this feature maintain the stability of every file that your system is executed. and do you think that virus definition of 4.8 is not present in 5.0??
will that is your observation ;)

the only fault you did is, you did removed 5.0 and yes metamorphic virus take an action because file system shield is removed infect your system hide it in your system driver then you installed 4.8 and remove infected files and system files. your system become unstable and now you told us that 5.0 is weak.
man think that 5.0 offer you the best protection why do downgrade??? maybe to get an alert that your system is infected??

i use avast from 4.5 until now 5.0 and all that version i experience and see the changes in every upgrade.

Regards!!!

Yance

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
and do you think that virus definition of 4.8 is not present in 5.0??
will that is your observation ;)
Why you can conclude like that? I never said so. I think all those who have been using avast definitely know avast 4.8 virus definitions are the same as the one on avast 5 (for now). The diffrent is on their engine. Instead you should conclude that there might be something better on the engine of avast 4.8, so it can detect it with the same virus definitions while avast 5 is not?

the only fault you did is, you did removed 5.0
Why you can conclude like that again? I never said so. I never uninstall avast 5 from my own pc. Please read my post carefully (sorry for my bad english). The case that avast didn't block the virus and avast 5 services can't running are in a diffrent computer and diffrent case.

prevention is better than cure
Yes, you are right. But people who are sick must be healed first, and then taught to make of prevention from disease. And also if we help other people if their computer infected by virus.

I also have been using avast since from version 4.5. But now in avast 5 I get a lack which I think is not good and it's some of setback. Indeed avast 5 has a much improved, but also there is some reduction, based on the things that I mentioned earlier. Please do not consider this posting as an attack on avast antivirus. I just write based on the fact that I got for use avast 5 from the earlier version until now. In fact I also the users of avast.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:50:39 PM by Yance »

Yance

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 03:54:10 AM »
there are some virus that is metamorphic, it can be identify only if infect your system.
Ok, but the antivirus from my local country can block this virus (same virus that infect my windows 7 machine). Avast 5 just detect it if i do a manual scan, but didn't block the virus from infecting the windows. Then, i think that is the function of anti rootkit for handle the metamorphic virus.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:59:11 AM by Yance »

dmoore102

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:59 PM »
Hello to all!  I think I have figured out why avast! 5.0 Internet Sec version doesn't play well with Win 2K.  Basically - the firewall appears to be shutting down my NIC connections.  Everything will appear fine from a hardware standpoint but I have no packets being sent or received.
Here is what I did to get avast! to release it's grip on my NIC connection:
   1.  Go to control panel, network & dial-up, LAN connection.
   2.  Right click on LAN connection to get properties.
   3.  Un-install 'avast! firewall NDIS filter miniport'.

When you restart your computer - you will notice that there is no more firewall tab or options (at least that what happened on my machine).

All internet connections and packets in-bound and out-bound are unencumbered!

Yes - eventually I will by a Windows XP license for that computer but $$$ is tight right now...

SKY - if you read this post - is your firewall fully functioning?  In your reply to me you said you had no issues with avast! 5.0 Int Sec / Win 2K Pro.   I wanted to reply to you personally - but since I am a 'newbie' I cannot do much yet.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

zron

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Good Evening ! Massive Meaningful Changes...to my mind's eye...Avast 5.0 is a masterful Gui...Easy on the eye,and even easier to navigate and utilize. But the main crucial component is the Virtualization and Sandboxing Feature...I've locked down all of my Browsers...Firefox and Opera and I.E.8. This will continue to evolve in future editions of Avast. And I'd be negligent in not mentioning the Superb Malware protection...the Hallmark of Avast's success. Also the application is highly configurable adjusting and configuring Scans and Permissions. Enjoy the Female Voice application in announcing updates. All in all a superb product from a superb organization. Sincerely...Zron

brhokla

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:13:12 AM »
I have to say the SandBox feature has saved my day a couple of times.  The program works and I can't say enough.  I can't believe I even take the time to say this stuff but I feel it's worth it.  Avast 5 Rocks and it has saved my computer.

michaelrock123

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:16 AM »
avast! 6.0 is now here so now give it a try. I think avast 4.8 looks like a media player. Try it and see in plus avast 5.0 is pretty good and avast 6.0 is way much better.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
avast! 6.0 is now here so now give it a try. I think avast 4.8 looks like a media player. Try it and see in plus avast 5.0 is pretty good and avast 6.0 is way much better.
Please check the dates on the threads you are replying to as this one is 6 months old.