Author Topic: AVG 7.0 release !  (Read 31137 times)

Waldo

AVG 7.0 release !
« on: July 09, 2003, 11:13:00 PM »
Saw this on the Wilders forum...let's hope the guys from "Grisoft" can now offer a product that can alteast be compared to the master > AVAST!4.0.

I'm not sure, if they gonna release a freeware version of 7.0 also ? doesn't seem so...But If they do, AVAST!4.0 home could have some little competition  ;)

AVG's home page : http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_index.php

Wilders : http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=24;action=display;threadid=11174

Waldo
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 11:14:07 PM by Waldo »

techie101

Re:AVG 7.0 release !
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 11:24:59 PM »
Waldo,

AVG is a good product.  It's just that Avast 4 Home is better!  AVG has no present comparison to the Pro version of Avast, so Avast still rules!
Not all Avs like the system you try to put them in.  I have a W98 that does not like Avast, no matter what I do to it, but runs fine with AVG.

My Me and XP like Avast to no end!  You always need to use what works best with your OS and be willing to accept a lesser degree of protection for stability and reliable operation.

but thanks for the "heads up".

;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 04:24:42 PM by techie101 »

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 03:20:12 PM »
AVG is a good product.  It's just that Avast 4 Home is better!  AVG has no comparison to the Pro version of Avast, so Avast still rules!

Damn right ! :)

I have been a former AVG 6.0 user (home and PRO) and it did offered me some good protection these days, but now as a AVAST PRO user, I really see the difference in quality.

-Avast offers verry fast updates, as AVG released updates sometimes 1 time/month :(

-AVG gave me much more false alerts. (because it uses heuristics)  

-Support of AVG is not good (there is none)

-It whas not free for everyone.

-unpacking engine is not the best....etc...

-I'm still surprised though that AVG 6.0 is the most used "free" AV of all...although there are much better around.

Btw , Techie, why would you think that AVG7.0 is no comparison to AVAST 4.0 ? did you already tested it ? Did you already read some kind of test, done by some respected forum or website. Do you have some "inside" information, i don't have ?  

If so, please share it whith us...

I didn't see any of these yet...(maybe i missed them) But i think the guys from Grisoft did a geat effort to make their product better...and solve some of the well known problems. it even seems they are gonna offer some support also...

After reading the product possibilities, it seems many of the great future's included in AVAST are also in AVG 7.0. So why couldn't AVG 7.0 be a comparison to AVAST ?

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the greatest AVAST supporters. And i never will go back to AVG, but saying that the product is not much better that there previous version without giving
a full statement why, is no good in my eyes.

yours sincerly,
Waldo
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 03:40:07 PM by Waldo »

techie101

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 04:19:15 PM »
Waldo,

Waldo Quote {Btw , Techie, why would you think that AVG7.0 is no comparison to AVAST 4.0 ? did you already tested it ? Did you already read some kind of test, done by some respected forum or website. Do you have some "inside" information, i don't have ? }

Don't be so hard on me!!

Opinions are just that. I am always skeptical of a "giant leap" version of any program.  As I have said, I do use AVG, but prefer AVAST more because of the support that has ALWAYS been available, the stability it has shown me, and the reliable manner in which it treats viruses!
The awards and benchmarks that AVAST has attained are bonus points as far as I am concerned.

Does that mean that AVG 7 will not be better than AVAST PRO.......only time will tell.

AVG is one of the top "free" avs because AVAST is not well publisized.....but its' getting there.  The other free avs are not as reliable, tend to be unstable or lack support.  I have tried many of them and that is how I eventually was lucky enough to find my true love...AVAST.

AVG does give false positives because of the heuristic scan, but that function can be turned off.
Avast can also give an occasional false return as well if you set the Resident Scanner sensitivity up too high!

It certainly is not anyone's intent in this forum to criticize any av vendor.  They are ALL trying to help us.
We may comment and voice opinion as users, but those comments and opinions give us more information as to a programs promise and weakness.

Waldo Quote {but saying that the product is not much better that there previous version without giving
a full statement why, is no good in my eyes.}

For the record....I never said that AVG 7 was no better than previous versions!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 04:30:04 PM by techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 04:21:39 PM »
No hard feelings!

;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 04:30:57 PM by techie101 »

Waldo

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 04:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the fast respons.

you said, you are being sceptical about a program making giant leaps. This is
a thing i can understand. I also feel that. Its always better to be causious. Especially on internet security isues.

A whise sentence you used > only time will tell.

And this is why i don't like that this product is broken off, before it is actualy tested and used by hundreds of persons. (I don't mean or say, you broke the program off, not at all !)

Whe just have to give it a fair change...it could be a wonderfull product or it could
be a security dragon :) Just give it the benefit of the doubt.

You said AVAST is not that that good published as AVG...that's correct :( but like you said, where getting there. And it's only a mather of time before AVAST is the most used free AV of all. If they keep up the excellent quality.

I used AVG and ANTIVIR PE and INOCULATE and AVAST 32 as free scanners, but
3 moths ago i bought PRO of AVAST4.0 (after using home) and I have NEVER regretted my desiccion.

Maybe its not bad that AVG7.0 get's better, after all, good competition is supposed to be a good thing.

And for the people using AVG its better if the program improves. So the security forums (Wilders, DSL repport,..) aren't filled anymore with support questions about AVG.

Now, i'm off to enjoy AVAST :)

Nice talking to ya Techie.

Waldo

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 04:58:45 PM »
Btw, forgive my bad Englisch and gramar mistakes, This is not my mother language. (I'm Dutch)

Waldo

techie101

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 08:26:36 PM »
Waldo,

Your points were well made and cheerfully accepted.

and.....your English is fine.  My Dutch is worse!  ;D

jdong

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 10:30:44 PM »
From the Security forum community at DSLReports.com (I'm a regular visitor there...), I was informed by a user that the AVG 7 free will be released in september

Waldo

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 10:50:42 PM »
september you say...well, i  for one will give it a run, and if it's good > gone is Antivir PE as second scanner (backup) and welcome to AVG 7.0.

From time to time i like to do a full system scan, with another program as AVAST4 PRO...just to make sure :) Overkill ? could be....but altleast it makes me sleep good.

Waldo

Artisan

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 11:02:31 PM »
These might be a dumb questions for you guys.  Is it possible to have Avast 4 and AVG 6 on one computer at the same time?  If so, are there any type of conflicts that might arise?  Does having two different AV programs running in the background effect virus detection rate?  Thanks.

Waldo

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 11:30:25 PM »
AVAST doesn't  particulary like other AV's to be installed...

But you can use 2 scanners > but NO 2  residents guards and NEVER do a system scan with the 2 AV's on the same moment.

If you keep that in mind, there is not much to worry about...

Waldo

jdong

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 11:41:39 PM »
But you can use 2 scanners > but NO 2  residents guards and NEVER do a system scan with the 2 AV's on the same moment.

2 system scans at the same time????

I can understand precaution #1, but why the heck would you scan with two programs at the same time?  ???

Waldo

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 12:15:09 AM »
I have no idea, I would never do it...but if somebody asks me if running 2 scanners is good or bad...I answer them : Never run them at the same time.

I dunno why somebody would do it at the same time, but if you do > its bad (and sad) !

I have no crystall ball you know, and i CAN'T predict other users doings... ;) not yet....

Waldo
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 12:24:12 AM by Waldo »

Artisan

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 03:07:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Currently, I am using just one AV  :), but I wanted to know what will happen if two AVs ran in the background at the same time.  Just out of curiousity!  By the way, out of all AVs out there, I have to give two thumbs up for the programmers of Avast 4.  Superb job guys!