Author Topic: Updating free Version 5 before it expires  (Read 4750 times)

Sweetpeeps

Updating free Version 5 before it expires
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help me, please? 

I have free Avast Version 5.0.677 which is due to expire on 1.1.2011.  I am going away in a few days and won´t be home until March 2011 so I can´t renew Avast just before it expires.  I have tried to update/re-register this morning and have been sent a new key, but when I right click on the orange avast ball in the icon tray...and then click "registration information" there is nowhere to insert the new key.

I don´t want to return home next year and have no current anti-virus protection when I try to start up my computer.  Does anyone know how I can update my registration before I go?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Updating free Version 5 before it expires
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
?

You shouldn't have a key for the free version.  All you need to do is enter your name, email address, and other details (optional) and click the register or submit button (can't remember what it's called).

There is no email to receive, and there are no keys.  It should be registered after that.

If not, take a look at this support page: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459&nav=0,1,22
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Sweetpeeps

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »
OH, well that´s even more confusing then :(

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
It shouldn't be.

I guess you were trying the offline registration... if you have internet access on that PC, just follow the online instructions.

It's far simpler and only takes a minute.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Sweetpeeps

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I really appreciate your help, thank you.

I am not new to Avast - I am already registered and have been for the past year or so.  When I right click the orange Avast Icon and then "Registration Information" it shows the current status as "registered" so therefore there is no "register now" box (as shown in the "how to register online" information).  What I am seeking to do is renew my registration for a further 12 months. 

In the meantime, I have downloaded the current version of Avast 5.0.677 onto my desktop, but when I have double clicked it to install, it is first wanting to uninstall the one that is already installed (which is also 5.0.677), but I am scared to do that as it will leave me online and unprotected.  I hope I have explained clearly.

dansorin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
the real problem is that if avast 5.0 is not "talking" to the avast servers for 21 days, it gets disabled. I saw this information lately. according to avast, release 5.1 will not have this limitation.

LE: sorry, this is related to the centrally managed clients.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:55:59 PM by dansorin »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
The short answer is that you can't update the current installation early, it will notify you at 14 days to go and at that point the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration interface will change to allow for on-line or off-line re-registration.

Unfortunately that won't help you as you won't be present at that time. However, since you have already got the new key you should still be able to input that (as the registration interface should have changed) without having to go on-line. Once you do that then you can get your virus definitions update.

By that time there should also be a Program Update available (version 5.1.xx), so just do a manual program update as that will also update the virus definitions.

I haven't heard of this no communication with the servers for 21 days and it is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sweetpeeps

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
Thanks David, I´ll do that.

The strange thing is that when I had version 4.8xx my expiry date was sometime during the summer of 2011,  but when I upgraded to version 5.0.677 a few months ago,  it brought the expiry date forward to January 1st 2011, unfortunately for me whilst I am away.  Just my luck!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
That's strange...

I guess an alternative would be to fully remove avast while also using the uninstall tool, then re-installing.  That would allow you to register the program today, and not have to worry about until next year.

It's a bit more effort, but it might work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Thanks David, I´ll do that.

The strange thing is that when I had version 4.8xx my expiry date was sometime during the summer of 2011,  but when I upgraded to version 5.0.677 a few months ago,  it brought the expiry date forward to January 1st 2011, unfortunately for me whilst I am away.  Just my luck!

You're welcome.

Yes you could do that with avast 4.8, but you only had the option of registering and getting sent the key by email in 4.8. When avast 5 introduced the ability to register through the avastUI that was obviously dropped.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security