Author Topic: Is Avast sufficient protection?  (Read 10446 times)

petertree

Is Avast sufficient protection?
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
Hi. New here, so apologies if this has been covered before. I need to renew my virus software urgently (currently use Norton). A friend has recommended Avast (free version). Is this version of Avast sufficient to protect my PC? Does it act as a fireall and does it protect from viruses, malware, phishing, spyware, spam? (Have I missed anything?) Otherwise I'll need some more programs. Another friend recommended Spamfighter. But I don't want a whole lot of software that gets in each others' way. Sorry if this all sounds inane.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Is Avast sufficient protection?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Hi. New here, so apologies if this has been covered before. I need to renew my virus software urgently (currently use Norton). A friend has recommended Avast (free version). Is this version of Avast sufficient to protect my PC? Does it act as a fireall and does it protect from viruses, malware, phishing, spyware, spam? (Have I missed anything?) Otherwise I'll need some more programs. Another friend recommended Spamfighter. But I don't want a whole lot of software that gets in each others' way. Sorry if this all sounds inane.
Hi petertree, this should answer your question's http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart , and when you delete norton from add remove programs then reboot and run the norton removal tool from here,
http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
If you dont understand firewalls your better to stick with the windows one, never heard of spamfighter.
Most users here on the forum run avast with malwarebytes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
The free version doesn't include any ant-spam function it is scanning email for malware not spam. I use MailWasher Pro (a paid option) that pre scans a small part of the email to determine if it were spam. Then it deletes the spam at server level and you download only the remainder.

The free version of avast is a stand alone anti-virus (incorporates anti-spyware) application, it doesn't have a firewall. However, the Network Shield provides limited protection against attack from common malware/exploit ports (Worms and viruses, etc.), but it isn't a full firewall which is essential.

Although avast incorporates anti-spyware/malware within the main program, many also use the likes of MBAM or SAS to compliment avast. Check my signature below my post.

Your biggest issue would probably be ensuring you have gotten rid of all of Norton.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

somesome11

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 07:56:56 PM »
For malware protection, Avast is one of the best around; its resident scanner, IMO, is the best around (I've used most others, Norton, McAfee, AVG). I'm not sure if others will suggest the paid versions, but I use the free version on several PCs. Avast has blocked numerous malware attempts on sketchy sites for me, and has a very low false-positive rate (I torrent, and Avast is excellent).

Norton is fairly bloated, and depending on which OS and browser you're running, a lot of it is redundant. Windows Firewall is all I use, never had an issue. Several mail programs already have their own anti-spam, and browsers have their own anti-phishing, so really, Avast free, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes for on-demand scans, CCleaner to keep temp files and the reg clean, and you should be good to go  ;D

somesome11

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Oh, and from what I've seen, "malware" is essentially the new term, since the lines between spyware, adware, and viruses is pretty blurred. Avast protects from all of the above. If you really want a seperate anti-spyware program, most use Ad-Aware, a free program, it shouldn't interfere with Avaast.

gentle4ug

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
I agree with SomeSome, I use the same setup.  Just keep autoupdates turned on and you are good to go.  Never had any problems worth mentioning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
Oh, and from what I've seen, "malware" is essentially the new term, since the lines between spyware, adware, and viruses is pretty blurred. Avast protects from all of the above. If you really want a seperate anti-spyware program, most use Ad-Aware, a free program, it shouldn't interfere with Avaast.

Unfortunately adaware was great many years ago, but it really hasn't kept pace with malware developments with the two options I mentioned (MBAM & SAS) being the current best of breed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

somesome11

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »
Unfortunately adaware was great many years ago, but it really hasn't kept pace with malware developments with the two options I mentioned (MBAM & SAS) being the current best of breed.

Yeah, I just mentioned Ad-Aware since its more of a mainstream product people are likely to be familiar with. I haven't used it in a while, nor have I used SAS. I personally just use Malwarebytes and Avast, haven't had any issues. A lot tend to think of adware/spyware as completely separate from the rest of malware, but now its kinda become all the same crud, some are just worse than others.

hmonk

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
@Petertree

I think one of the difficulties you are apt to experience in posing your question is the discovery that one person's food is another's poison - where few, if any, of the responders have subjected AV/malware apps to controlled testing. Don't misunderstand, experience is a wonderful teacher but not everyone surfs the Net in the same way, at the same sites, with the same apps.

Many of the apps mentioned here are not met with the same enthusiasm by testing labs which even differ amongst themselves. Regardless, unless you frequent risky sites (torrents, dot ru, XXX, etc.), any of the better known stand-alone apps or suites (Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo)will serve you well. Basically, there are three walls of protection that I employ: AV (e.g. Avast, Avira, Comodo, AVG, etc.), firewall (ZA, Comodo, PCTools, Windows, etc.) real-time/off-line malware (SpywareGuard, Spybot TeaTimer, WinPatrol, Malwarebytes, AD-Aware, Windows, etc.).

The best thing for ME to do is to review data from testing sites. Why? Less bias - not fool-proof - but less bias. Let's face it, if you visit an Avast forum, most will recommend Avast; visit Avira, most will recommend AntiVir; looking for a firewall and visit Check Point, most will recommend ZoneAlarm.

Let me suggest four starting points:

Matousec http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/ is an excellent source of data. Under the heading "Proactive Security Challenge," there are several links to products, testing, and results.

AV-Comparatives http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests is another good site. Under the Main Menu, you can select any number of links to the various tests and results in the form of PDF downloads.

AV-Test http://www.av-test.org/certifications also has PDF DLs of their test results.

Not specifically a testing lab but another good site to visit is Gizzmo's http://www.techsupportalert.com/ On this home page there are four categories from which you can search. One of these is a wizard which, based on your computing habits, suggests apps that you might consider. It is, of course, just their opinion but you may find it quite helpful. 

If it matters, I vary my protection from time-to-time depending on the performance of the current versions of what is available. Currently I use AntiVir, Comodo firewall, WinPatrol, SpywareGuard, Spybot Search & Destroy TeaTimer, and SuperAntiSpyware - all free editions.     

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, post back.

Monk

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
As someone who helps people on the forum, I can tell you the following:

1. TeaTimer(TT) has caused MANY conflicts with Avast, so if you install SP&D, do not install TT.

2. As for third-party firewalls, the ones that have caused the least amount of headaches with Avast are: Online Armor (free or paid), Outpost (free or paid), Comodo (without AV - free or paid).  There have been recent problems with PCTools and numerous problems with ZA.

3. Most of us use MBAM as posted above as an on-demand (some use as Pro/paid).

4. You can also add protection by using add-on's in your browsers (look at my Signature).

Basically, you want to layer your security for your machine without overkill or conflict.  Test a product on your machine before purchasing to see if you like it and how it "plays" with your other software.

When looking at some of the comparative sites listed in the prior post, you need to look at the version used in testing, which is often obsolete.  Therefore, use them as you wish.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

petertree

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
Many thanks for all these posts. Even though I've used computers for a long time I find my knowledge quickly overtaken by changes and PC protection is one such area. Nevertheless, I think I can distil enough from all replies to effect satisfactory protection. (Well, I blooming well hope so!)
 :)

hmonk

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »
@Petertree

Just two quick points: I have NEVER experienced conflicts between any of the apps I mentioned - NEVER! What happens on my machine, your machine, or anyone else's machine depends on too many individual factors to justify blanket statements - apologists notwithstanding.

Secondly, there is a "rule" named after the MIT professor who developed it (whose name eludes me) that declares that computing equipment becomes obsolete within six months of deployment. Soo too the software (especially drivers) that operate the equipment. If you wish to maintain your computing experience at the highest possible level - to serve your needs - you must continuously research (Google, Bing, e.g.) and update your system, mindful of your components, software, and primary use.

You are correct, changes can quickly overtake all of us. Changes occur in the virus/malware arena on a daily basis; the "best" apps are those that not only update their definitions database to keep up but are also written to be able to "sense" threats even though they are not specifically defined. For those who do not test AV/malware apps, a meta analysis is a useful tool.   

Monk         

brhokla

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »
I have used many AV products and will say my least favorites have been Norton and Symantec.  AVG was ok but caused conflicts with Outlook 2007 and would crash at least once a day due to the Outlook plugin part of the program from AVG.  Comodo IS, was ok but newer versions tended to lock up for me.  I'm very intrigued by the newer version 11 of Comodo but with the past experience will wait to see what issues this version has. 

I have found the Avast Pro to be the most stable, never causing crashes and easiest on resources.  It has saved me a couple times and I have never had any issue's with viruses, malware or any other bugs on my computer.  I also have Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Super AntiSpyware installed but I leave them off so they don't use resources.  I use them about twice a month to run scans.  Both these Malware programs have helped me to fix relatives and friends computers and are a MUST HAVE!!!!!! I use Avast Pro with the Windows Firewall this setup seems to run smooth and without any hiccups.  I recommend Avast, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as the programs you need.  The Comodo Firewall has also been used on my system and gives you added protection but it can annoy you with many warnings all the time.  I would think Avast Free would be a very solid choice and combined with these other programs listed above, very solid protection! The Sandbox feature has also saved me....  Great product!