Author Topic: Would appreciate help. Extremely slow start up since installing avast.  (Read 9445 times)

the1n_only_adrian

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so please forgive my "newbieness". I recently purchased a used computer for pretty cheap because it was infected with a virus and running sluggish. Since my old computer motherboard gave out and i dont have much money right now, i decided to clean it up myself to replace the old one. I successfully cleaned the system and it ran like new, however i now needed to install antivirus software. After installing the latest version of avast free antivirus I'm now experiencing extremely slow startups. I've searched the forum but found nothing like the 5-7 minutes that my computer takes to start up. All my icons load quick but stays really slow until the avast logo appears on the right lower corner which usually takes around 5-7 minutes. then and only after then can i start to use my computer with the regular speed. Haven't noticed anyother slowdowns during usage but on startup. I'm running windows vista service pack 2, 32bit. Any help is extremely appreciative. Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Would appreciate help. Extremely slow start up since installing avast.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
Hi adrian, how much ram do you have, what was the previous av and has it be fully removed with the proper removal tool.
You may also like to look in msconfig-startup's and see if there is anything that you don't need starting.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
...usually takes around 5-7 minutes.

Huh... That's really slow...
Which other security related software is installed..?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

the1n_only_adrian

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
hello craigb, i have 1gb ram. The previous av was an expired mcaffee that was uninstalled with a program i downloaded from mcaffee that was an unistaller since i could not remove it myself from the add/remove programs menu. Here is what i have at startup: windows defender, hpsysdrv, hpwuschd application, avast antivirus, nvidia media center library, nvidia compatible windows vista display driver version 175.21, google update, and microsoft windows opperating system.

the1n_only_adrian

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
Hi Asyn, i also have installed malwarebytes and advanced system care oh and SuperAnti Spyware, but these were installed a few days after i installed avast, and the problem was there before. I only installed them to make sure avast didnt miss anything that would cause the slow startup.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:51:29 AM by the1n_only_adrian »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
hello craigb, i have 1gb ram. The previous av was an expired mcaffee that was uninstalled with a program i downloaded from mcaffee that was an unistaller since i could not remove it myself from the add/remove programs menu. Here is what i have at startup: windows defender, hpsysdrv, hpwuschd application, avast antivirus, nvidia media center library, nvidia compatible windows vista display driver version 175.21, google update, and microsoft windows opperating system.
1gig is very low, thats barely enough to run vista, would be money well spent to add at least another gig.
If you have nvidia gforce the latest driver is 260.99 http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us    if you can do the update it will get rid of those nvidia startup's that you have also.
Unless your running google chrome you dont need the google update.
I would also disable window's defender from within defender gui tool's/option's, iv never had defender ever detect anything and with avast and malwarebytes your pretty well covered.
Would also delet advanced system care, iobit is an untrustworthy company, you can also do a good cleanup of your system with ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds   
scroll down to the slim as there's no toolbar.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:04:41 AM by craigb »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »
Hi Asyn, i also have installed malwarebytes and advanced system care oh and SuperAnti Spyware, but these were installed a few days after i installed avast, and the problem was there before. I only installed them to make sure avast didnt miss anything that would cause the slow startup.

Set avast to start after other services. (settings-troubleshooting)
Does it start faster now..?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

the1n_only_adrian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
Sounds good, now i have other options. Thank you. As soon as i finish updating the nvidia driver, removing some of the startups, running cccleaner, and everything else i will post an update to see how it goes. Also i will look into upgrading ram tommorow. Once again, thanks ill keep you posted. Asyn, i have seen that option in settings but hadnt tried it yet. One more on my to-do list. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
Sounds good, now i have other options. Thank you. As soon as i finish updating the nvidia driver, removing some of the startups, running cccleaner, and everything else i will post an update to see how it goes. Also i will look into upgrading ram tommorow. Once again, thanks ill keep you posted. Asyn, i have seen that option in settings but hadnt tried it yet. One more on my to-do list. Thank you.

You're welcome.
Btw, I agree on every single point with craig..!
Keep us informed...
asyn

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »
Also remember adrin that if your computer is a laptop you'll need the M versions for nvidia. My laptop is eg GeForce 9500M GS.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:23:42 AM by craigb »

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
Your problem most likely is Advanced System Care (ASC).  ASC is a security software that users here have reported being a problem and conflicting with other software as well as Avast, and they have needed to uninstall it for their machines to work properly.  Not only is it a hog on your system, but it also leaves remnants behind.  It is related to IOBit, which is doing some shady business lately. 

To uninstall ACS, follow the vendor's instructions, then reboot.  I also recommend going into Safe Mode > All Files and Folders > Search > Advanced Options (make sure all boxes on the bottom are checked off except case sensitive) > type in the top box Advanced System Care > click "OK."  Repeat the same steps but this time type in ASC.  Anything that comes up in the right-hand pane you can delete, however if in doubt of a file, right-click it and check "properties" to see if it belongs to ASC...if it does you can delete it.  Empty your recycle bin from Safe Mode.

Also, check to see what you have running on Start Up (when you machine boots up).  Any unnecessary programs, you can "disable" (NOT delete) to speed things up.

Let us know if this helps you.  Thank you.

the1n_only_adrian

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 02:26:40 AM »
ok everyone i apoligize for the delay. I ordered a 1gb memory stick and it arrived yesterday, unfortunatly it was the wrong one so i have to send it back tommorow and wait another week for the correct stick. Also i uninstalled asc and removed some unneeded programs from start up and ive knock down the start up time to about 3 and a half min which is much better than before. Hopefully the extra 1gb ram will help out also and cut some of that startup delay. I'll keep you updated as soon as it is installed. How much of a performance difference should i expect with the added ram? I always figured since 1gb was stock on my desktop with vista, it would be more than enough, so are companies giving customers just the bare nessesities to be able to run windows? I know dumb question but im learning alot. Once again thanks everyone.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
Extra ram will make a huge difference to your system, an extra 1gig would of been just a starter for me, your system might have bee able to take an extra 2gig giving you 3gig all up as that is the most you can use on a 32bit system but you will still see a great improvement with what you bought.
The amount of money that you spend when buying a computer usually equates to wheather your getting a high or low end system, speed, graffic's and the list goes on.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »
bump
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:57:33 AM by SafeSurf »