Author Topic: Avast 5 vrs Comodo  (Read 17826 times)

brhokla

Avast 5 vrs Comodo
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
Been toying with the idea of trying out this new Comodo product.  I hear it's almost hard to get it infected even if you are trying too.  Anybody with any experience using Comodo's newest AV product?

YoKenny

Re: Avast 5 vrs Comodo
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »
You can not use 2 anti virus applications.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
Been toying with the idea of trying out this new Comodo product.  I hear it's almost hard to get it infected even if you are trying too.  Anybody with any experience using Comodo's newest AV product?

Forget about it... ;)
The firewall is ok, though.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SteveNChamp

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
In addition to running 2 antivirus programs, I have not had the best of experiences with Commodo products. The firewall is almost too aggressive. In addition, it has caused every version of Windows I've had to crash and has also caused system file errors that running sfc.exe thru command prompt (administrator mode) cannot repair, causing me to have to reinstall the OS from scratch. Ever since I discovered Avast back in 2003, starting with the free version, it has never caused problems with the various computers that I have owned. I finally got the paid version of Avast Internet Security Suite, and it has been incredible on my home network. I can't brag enough and it has never caused a single error on my OS. My only dissapointment, is that the system I have upgraded to is a 64 bit system and I can't run a boot-time scan. I can see I am going to be posting something to the "Wish List" now.  :) But, back to Commodo products...this is my own opinion...they really need to find out what is causing their products to create errors and system file corruptions before the even release another product. Hope this helps in making a decision.  :)

Sammo

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »

Comodo AV and CIS both failed the latest VB-100 test. Avast, as usual, passed it.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/2010/10

I also find that if you use Comodo firewall only and avast that Comodo seems to cause a lot of CPU activity constantly. That's why I use Online Armor along with avast.

Here is a link to tests of several av's including avast and Comodo. Avast gets the Gold award.

http://translate.google.pl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://www.dobreprogramy.pl/Test-darmowych-programow-antywirusowych-2011,Artykul,21381.html&act=url

Also, see the attached graphic for a test results grid with many of the popular av's.

hmonk

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
I have used both Comodo suite and just the firewall. You can go to Matousec http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php and note that the free Comodo Suite is the highest rated of any available, free or retail. You can read a short blurb of who they are at http://www.matousec.com/matousec/about-us.php.

You can also go to AV-Comparatives at http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews and in the left frame click on various tests to see how various apps performed. AV-Test at http://www.av-test.org/certifications is another good testing site.

Although it is very highly rated, I dumped the Comodo Suite primarily to get rid of the AV component; I do use the stand-alone firewall only (which is identical to that which is bundled in the suite). I did this because I live in a very remote area with no broadband access so I am limited to dialup. The issue with Comodo has always been its cmdagent.exe which can be a bit of a bandwidth hog. Apart from that, I never had any issues with it and suspect that with a broadband connection it would function very well.

You can read over the various reviews which you may find very interesting: Avast is rated anywhere from so-so to OK depending on the site . In the end, I think be it Comodo, Avast, Avira, AVG, you are not going to get into any trouble unless you frequent torrents, dot ru sites, or other obviously risky links.

Monk     

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
avast! will automatically protect your machine, stopping most malware most of the time, with little or no user intervention, and come up with the occasional false positive.

In order for CIS to stop almost all malware, they haven't made it any more intelligent, what they've done is move the goal posts! - and added the D+ "sandbox" as a damage-limiting safety-net.
CIS's target area is anything that it doesn't know and trust, which includes many safe, clean & otherwise non-malicious files. Anything not on its whitelist will be stopped or "sandboxed" in partially-limited mode, which is not truly virtualized, it's just given limited system access rights.

My opinion then? If you like to spend a lot of time fiddling with your security application(s), setting permissions, manually adding items to "My Trusted Files", responding to inanely worded alerts offering a range options which though similar sounding - are clearly intended to be understood to be different, reading "leak tests" which co-rate the ability of AV products to "perform" in the same manner as a dumb firewall or HIPS, I could go on... If you trust Comodo with your OS installation - give it a go. If you like it, keep it.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Yance

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »
Yes, Comodo Internet Security make the windows become very slow if we are do the mannual scan. But i use it with avast 5 free in my computer. It help avast blocking the virus when not yet known by avast and vice versa. I think the result is very good!

Katt.is.here

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
Hi I just joined yesterday, because I just moved from comodo to Avast. I used CIS for about 4 years everything was great until they decided to change it. I tried the sandbox lol things still got through, cloud scanning froze my computer to a standstill. I really don't advice using it, but to each his own. I'm using xp , but that doesn't seem to matter. My daughter called me today after she updated to comodo version 5. Her whole hard drive crashed, she can't even start it in safe mode. And she is using vista. My advice is please don't try it. I went back to an older version of comodo and using the firewall only, but after doing a lot of research I am thinking about using Outpost.  

osants911

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
Yes, Comodo Internet Security make the windows become very slow if we are do the mannual scan. But i use it with avast 5 free in my computer. It help avast blocking the virus when not yet known by avast and vice versa. I think the result is very good!

You should not use 2 AV applications on a OS!

But, you can combine Comodo Firewall, D+ with avast free.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:26:51 PM by yodaosan »

Yance

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »

You should not use 2 AV applications on a OS!

But, you can combine Comodo Firewall, D+ with avast free.
But so far everything is going well, even better. Do I have to uninstall the Comodo Antivirus and just intalling their firewall?

osants911

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
But so far everything is going well, even better. Do I have to uninstall the Comodo Antivirus and just intalling their firewall?

Yes, having 2 AVs might cause driver confliction between avast and comodo.
And you can uninstall Comodo AV by going to add or remove program->Comodo Internet Security->deselect AV component and you are done!

ronnycopeh

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
I am using Comodo firewall with avast pro and its great and fast, no slow downs.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
@ ronnycopeh: Update your Firefox or update your sig... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ronnycopeh

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
firefox always updated just hadn't changed it here! thanks but does it matter?