Author Topic: windows media player / avast  (Read 3078 times)

greengadabout

windows media player / avast
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »
My problem started the other day when i picked up some spyware online. I couldnt get rid of it with avast so i did a system restore point and that solved the spyware problem. However my avast then said it was unsecured and would freeze, so i uninstalled then reinstalled it. Thats when I started getting an IE message when my computer booted up saying that using activex might have unsafe interactions with this page. I also couldnt open aim or windows media player. I couldnt find any spyware but i tried a variety of things and decided to restore (again) and the same problem happened with avast as the first time. When i uninstalled avast i could open windows media player and aim, but once reinstalled the problems re-emerged. Any ideas?
I have a dell inspiron windows vista program.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: windows media player / avast
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »
I would do a scan with malwarebytes if you haven't already, download a fresh copy of avast 5.0.677 and the removal tool then delet avast though add remove programs and reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool and reboot again, cleanup any leftovers with ccleaner and now reinstall avast :)