Author Topic: Web Shield blocks browser in Windows 7  (Read 3224 times)

trainingwheels

Web Shield blocks browser in Windows 7
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:31:20 AM »
I found other posts regarding this problem. The fix utilities from 3rd parties did not work for me.

Now the data for my circumstance.

As you may guess, Avast Free version 5.0.677 blocks browser traffic (except for Chrome) when the Avast Web Shield is used. The only alternative is to disable the web shield (which I don't really want to do, but...)

Products which may be contributing to the problem:

1.) Windows 7 (fully updated as of 11/24/2010)
2.) Avast Free (fully updated)
3.) Comodo Firewall with Defense PLus
4.) Norton Online Family (monitoring and blocking material not appropriate for my kids)

Thanks for any help you may offer.

I Love Avast! Thank you!

TW

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Web Shield blocks browser in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
I found other posts regarding this problem. The fix utilities from 3rd parties did not work for me.

Now the data for my circumstance.

As you may guess, Avast Free version 5.0.677 blocks browser traffic (except for Chrome) when the Avast Web Shield is used. The only alternative is to disable the web shield (which I don't really want to do, but...)

Products which may be contributing to the problem:

1.) Windows 7 (fully updated as of 11/24/2010)
2.) Avast Free (fully updated)
3.) Comodo Firewall with Defense PLus
4.) Norton Online Family (monitoring and blocking material not appropriate for my kids)

Thanks for any help you may offer.

I Love Avast! Thank you!

TW

Hi trainingwheels,

Welcome to the avast forum,

By the way, whether the Norton Parental Control is like 3rd party application which installed on your system?
If Yes, then have you trying to activate avast webshield and turn off the Norton Parental Control?

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield blocks browser in Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
I don't know who Norton Online Family (monitoring and blocking material not appropriate for my kids) goes about doing this, but I suspect it uses some form of proxy so I don't know if there might be a clash between the two functions as they are both effectively trying to monitor web traffic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security