Author Topic: "Rootkit scan for 64 bit Win7"  (Read 5344 times)

NTxLS

"Rootkit scan for 64 bit Win7"
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
I am on Win7 64bit and wonder when there will a pre-windows install rootkit scan available for the 64 bit systems?  Also have been alerted to the "Alureon Rootkit Finds its Way into 64-bit Windows" as reported in the latest SANS NewsBites Vol. 12 Num. 92:
that appears to be a rather bad one.  Plus they give some links to go and read about how it works as well as where to expect to be infected.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:24:03 PM by NTxLS »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Rootkit scan for 64 bit Win7"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
As has been mentioned in numerous forum topics the boot-time scan for 64bit OSes is scheduled for introduction in avast 5.1, a beta of which will hopefully start soon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NTxLS

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
As has been mentioned in numerous forum topics the boot-time scan for 64bit OSes is scheduled for introduction in avast 5.1, a beta of which will hopefully start soon.

Thank you for this rapid reply, I had not been able to complete my posting as it was posted by my too large fingers for my keyboard before I was able to complete it.  I did a search for the subject line and found nothing.  I guess I do not know how to word my searches well enough to find what I am looking for.  

Again, thank you,

P.S. May I request links or at least one to the other postings?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:33:18 PM by NTxLS »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »
Most recent:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66329.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66203.0

When searching it is often helpful to use the " quotes " for specific terms, like "avast 5.1" which is what turned up a lot of hits including the ones above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NTxLS

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
Thank you for this HELP!  I did use the quotes as shown in the subject line, that is a copy/paste of my search.  As you can tell from my wordings I am not a programmer nor any other cute titled hacker.  Just a very curious user and over my time on these systems have learned much about them and keep mine own system running with little difficulties.  That ability also comes from  many of these forums where I ask my questions and those like yourself provide me with what I need.  If it were not for those like you I would be totally lost . . well mainly lost.  I have learned much just from crashing my own system and recovering, best of all over the years I have had to reload my O/S only once and that was with Win98SE about 2005.  I dabbled in WinME, XP and Vista SP1 & 2 then jumped into Win7 64bit, all others were in 32.

I keep getting messages from Dell about my desktop is out of warranty and they will not support any problems I have on it because they never sold that desktop with Win7 64bit even though the system is a 64bit AMD Dual core processor, like I need support from someone that will not even support what they sell or manufacture.  I am not stupid like they think of me, Journeyman Electronics Technician with about 62 years experience with extensive troubleshooting experience and can repair any thing as long as it is not totally burned.

Enough, just wanted to get that off my chest, Dell computers are very good, but; their support leaves much, much to be desired,

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »
The rootkit that is prevalent at the moment is not really 64bit - it exploits the lack of protection for the MBR, hence all varieties of windows are now getting bitten 

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
@ NTxLS

Your signature
TIA, CU L8R,

NTxLS
is not very helpful and I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then  and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice like DavidR's signature.