Author Topic: I am REALLY disappointed, and of course, SAD  (Read 11680 times)

12-es_csaj

I am REALLY disappointed, and of course, SAD
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1781700&postcount=1

As I see avast! is getting worse and worse, but other antiviruses are getting better and better.  :'(

What will happen to you, avast?

bong2x

Re: I am REALLY disappointed, and of course, SAD
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
yes its so sad :'( :'( :'( :'(

but i will give you reason to be happy ;)
all that AV have release their new Version,
that makes their rating high.
and avast we are still waiting :D

Regards!!! 

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
yes its so sad :'( :'( :'( :'(

but i will give you reason to be happy ;)
all that AV have release their new Version,
that makes their rating high.
and avast we are still waiting :D

Regards!!! 

But... will avast!5.1 be better?

Some years (1-2-3) ago I could read more good opinions about avast, and it did better on tests.
Other AV's are getting stronger; they are very strong.. But it seems that avast! doesn't increase...

G-DATA will change the avast! motor into Kaspersky in v2012. AVAST Software will get less money.  :'( :'(

Sad future? :'(

Alan Baxter

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

Don't worry yourself too much, 12-es_csaj.

The post you linked to doesn't have much credibility.  This is just a summary of how some anonymous poster on Wilders interpreted a group of studies.  We don't know exactly what process was used to combine them or how accurately it was done.  The poster even made a few spelling errors.  I shudder to think how carefully the data was aggregated or how well it was weighted.

Avast is doing just fine and is continuing to get even better.

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
Some years (1-2-3) ago I could read more good opinions about avast, and it did better on tests.
Other AV's are getting stronger; they are very strong.. But it seems that avast! doesn't increase...

avast are getting stronger just like special weapons against Cyber Crime  :D

The situation now is not yet in red alert :D
but cyber criminals upgrade also their tools

if you have super weapons. are you going to show it to your enemy???

12-es_csaj

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
avast are getting stronger just like special weapons against Cyber Crime  :D

The situation now is not yet in red alert :D
but cyber criminals upgrade also their tools

if you have super weapons. are you going to show it to your enemy???

Well... avast!5's protection against zero-day malware is not better than 4.8's.
It will have full 64bit support only from v5.1.
If there is a new sample, it takes a long time to add it to the database.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »

Don't worry yourself too much, 12-es_csaj.

The post you linked to doesn't have much credibility.  This is just a summary of how some anonymous poster on Wilders interpreted a group of studies.  We don't know exactly what process was used to combine them or how accurately it was done.  The poster even made a few spelling errors.  I shudder to think how carefully the data was aggregated or how well it was weighted.

Avast is doing just fine and is continuing to get even better.

I couldn't agree more, rather than arbitrary tests of which settings you know nothing about and for the most part don't replicate real life; yet you have to consider your own personal experience (over six and a half years in my case). If that isn't good then you would have something to worry about and cause to look elsewhere.

<snip>
Well... avast!5's protection against zero-day malware is not better than 4.8's.
It will have full 64bit support only from v5.1.
If there is a new sample, it takes a long time to add it to the database.

I really don't see how you can say that as avast5 has numerous other generic, heuristic and algorithmic signatures that simply aren't in the avast 4.8 virus definitions.

If you are unhappy then there is absolutely nothing stopping you looking elsewhere (no one is holding a gun to your head) and I'm sure you will find that grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bong2x

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
5.0 definition is upgraded and high tech than 4.8.

example: if VD of 4.8 detects threats because the threats is executed in your system so you got 2 alerts
1 in the files that is executed and
2 is in a system file, host or you called it a mechanism of executed file :)
that makes you think you are in multi-attack

in 5.0 there is a file system shield, this system block the infection so you got only 1 alert that make you think 4.8 is better than 5.0.

Regards!!!

12-es_csaj

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:30:14 PM »
Lots of avast-users get viruses and they complain and go to the forums to ask for help. More virus problem with avast than all the other AVs.
Administrators and computer techinicians say that their experiences with avast are not so good.

avast! gives to its users complete protection, with daily twice updates, file system, web and network shield and boot-time scan (x86) but if it doesn't block a LOT OF pieces of malware, then PCs will get those malwares.....

:'(   :'(

bong2x

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
Lots of avast-users get viruses and they complain and go to the forums to ask for help. More virus problem with avast than all the other AVs.
Administrators and computer techinicians say that their experiences with avast are not so good.

not all are avast user, commonly user of other product and wanted help for removing and changing AV  :D
others have conflict with another software.

For anyone seeking help, they come here and ask for help. even you are not a avast user this forum still will help you. in the other forum they donot give an attention to thier free user, or other brand user.

but ofcurse we will recommend to use avast. as per our experience we trusted the service and the choice is your's  :D

Regards!!!

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:53 PM »
avast! gives to its users complete protection, with daily twice updates, file system, web and network shield and boot-time scan (x86) but if it doesn't block a LOT OF pieces of malware, then PCs will get those malwares.....
Spend the one time fee for Malwareytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and your system will be protected with Website Blocking as well plus automatic updates and scan sheduling.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
Spend the one time fee for Malwareytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and your system will be protected with Website Blocking as well plus automatic updates and scan sheduling.

Tell all avast users that they must have other on-access scanner with avast unless they will become infected.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

I'm both, and I'd have to fully disagree.

To each, his own.

Find another A/V if you're unhappy.  I'm sticking where I am for now, unless of course Avast delays this 5.1 release another few months...  ;D
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
<snip>
Tell all avast users that they must have other on-access scanner with avast unless they will become infected.

It is called a multi-application approach to security, as you are more than likely aware no single application will give 100% protection as you are also using MBAM.

If you don't like the 'free' version of avast, you can choose another or buy a different AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

12-es_csaj

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
It is called a multi-application approach to security, as you are more than likely aware no single application will give 100% protection as you are also using MBAM.

If you don't like the 'free' version of avast, you can choose another or buy a different AV.

I like avast, but it seems it is weaker than others.
I think the good combination is a firewall, an antivirus and an on-demand scanner. But if somebody's av is avast, it is sometimes not enough.

I use only the free version of MBAM to scan my system sometimes.