Author Topic: Avast Free AV v5.0.677 and OP FW Pro v.7.0.4 Conflict??  (Read 6082 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Avast Free AV v5.0.677 and OP FW Pro v.7.0.4 Conflict??
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
Hi: Been using Avast v.5.0,677 and OP FW Free for some time and worked great. I have recently purchased License Key for OP FW PRo V.7.0.4 and some wierd PCU spiking from AvastSvc.exe everytime(and only when)OP does its update thing or whatever when the arrows are rotating icon appears. The spike remains and does not level down to normal unless I shut down and reboot. All is normal(low) until that rotation thing starts...I think it is hourly update ??? not sure though.
I did not installed Web Monitoring module or the Anti Spyware module(unchecked them at installation)when installing OutPost FW.
I have "exclude" OP directory Folder from Avast File Shield as directed upon OP Installation process.
Anyone have any idea how to correct the CPU spiking as again does not happen upon start up.
I know lots of Folks and some Mods here use OP FW Pro so if anyone has the time I would appreciate any direction.

YoKenny

Re: Avast Free AV v5.0.677 and OP FW Pro v.7.0.4 Conflict??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
As you do not indicate the amount of RAM in your signature it is hard to help you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
Whilst I don't monitor my CPU activity I do obviously notice when things slow down. As you can see from my signature I also use OP Firewall Pro, I don't see this happen as I have my Outpost update schedule set to Weekly on a day and a time less likely to get in the way, see image.

Without the Outpost firewall web monitoring and anti-spyware modules, the outpost updates aren't so critical and I wouldn't allow them to be automatic or daily. That could mean that they also fire off shortly after boot when a connection is made and there are going to be times when this and the avast auto update and the file system shield (under the control of avastSvc.exe) still scanning program files that are loading are going to load the system and the outpost update.

You could try it Daily and at a time when the computer will be on and not under load. Personally I would opt for weekly or you could go for manually and fire it off when you want. See image2 as there are little in the way of updates without the web monitoring and anti-spyware modules, just the Presets and scripts and configuration files, which aren't likely to be frequently updated.

~~~~
This is unlikely to be RAM related, though you do need to update it and change outpost free firewall to the Outpost Pro version.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:31:25 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
As you do not indicate the amount of RAM in your signature it is hard to help you.
Old Model T OS with 512MB Ram
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:42:38 PM by schmidthouse »

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »
Put 512MB RAM in your signature.

With only 512MB RAM I hope you delay avast! from loading at bootup. ???

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
Thanks DavidR for your time. Also can no longer run Winpatrol Plus and PRocess Explorer... seems to conflict with OP FW Pro. Try to run Process Explorer but OS hangs.(Ran great with the Free version of OP FW).
Not sure why the differences between FRee and Pro on the OS ???
Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:52 AM »
You will see from my signature that I not only use winpatrol but the plus version and no conflict with Outpost. I also use Process Explorer and no conflict.

So if you can expand on the problem, e.g. what is this conflict, how does it present itself ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »
Please bare with me. The problem I'm having is on my Laptop. I am posting on my Desk Top.
Laptop is Windows XP 2002 Pro. Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz 1GB Ram. Avast Free AV, Outpost FW Pro v.7.0.4, SpywareGuard,Spyware Blaster,GhostSecurity RegDefend.
Tried to install OP PRo when WinPatrol installed but on reboot OS JUst hung, Uninstalled Winpatrol and no problem. As far as Process Xplorer with OP FW Pro installed I try to start PExplorer from icon and nothing happens,system hangs and Avast Icon ball turning extremely slow or stopped turning... it hangs too. Keep in mind none of these issues appeared with OP FW Free v.2009 installed.
I'm at a loss, the wonders of software programing... one version has no compatability issues while another version does ??? I din't know if this is any clearer now???
Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:39:35 AM »
Well I have no problem with either (image1&2) on OP Pro, so it isn't simply OP Pro, though it is tempting to think that when you get issues after installation.

I don't know if there is any combination of all three things together conflicting as OP has an and Application Guard, so you may need to exclude certain applications I have done that for WinPatrol, see image3. It also has a File and Folder lock, which I have disabled and I can't recall if that was the default setting.

With SpywareGuard (not something I have heard of, I would suggest temporarily disabling it to see if that makes any difference.
With winpatrol, try adding the exclusion I mentioned above.

When you launch these keep your eyes open as if OP Pro is blocking it you will get a very small popup with isn't there very long.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 02:06:19 AM »
Thanks very much DavidR. I will try what you suggest and get back to You.If I have issues I will take screenshots and hopefully attach them to the post. Have not done that yet??

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:00:59 AM »
You're welcome, good luck.

Don't forget to update your forum profile to reflect your new specs.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »
Well I have no problem with either (image1&2) on OP Pro, so it isn't simply OP Pro, though it is tempting to think that when you get issues after install
I know... other folks have said they also have no problem...thats what makes this so screwed up?!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »
You're welcome, good luck.

Don't forget to update your forum profile to reflect your new specs.
Not quite sure how to do that when I use 2 different computers..do you list them both :-[
I think maybe?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »
I would get rid of the non-essential like ancient os, motos, etc. ;D
If you are using winpatrol on both systems then ghostregdefend may well be redundant. Outside of that, use two lines with no line break (they will auto wrap).

Mine is somewhat over the top as I use it to give an idea of some of the other proactive measures and tools I use on the forums. But generally OS SP No (HomeEdition 32bit version 2002), firewall, security apps, etc.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 04:48:14 AM »

Mine is somewhat over the top as I use it to give an idea of some of the other proactive measures and tools I use on the forums. But generally OS SP No (HomeEdition 32bit version 2002), firewall, security apps, etc.

Somewhat over the top! Man I read that and I think I'm shopping at 'Future Shop'  ;D  LOL ...Just joking....
Anyway back to my issue with constant 95-97% CPU usage. I hope to attach a couple of screenshots.
Without Winpatrol running the usage is from AvastSvc.exe When I enable WinPatrol and run it the usage is from WinPatrol.exe And as far as Process Xplorer I can see its running in Task Manager but will not come up when I double click the icon. Unfortunately I fear I'll have to uninstall the Pro version and settle for OP FW Free version. Just ticks me off when I can't figure out whats mucking things up >:(
Thanks DavidR :-\