Author Topic: Unable to "select required action" to remove virus.....please help  (Read 2317 times)

lee88

I ran a scan and it said "virus found." I went to results page and under file name, it is Process 1520 [teatimer.exe], memory block 0x00000000012B0000.  It says the severity is "high" and the Status is: Threat: JS:scriptSH-inf[Trj]. It says "select the required action for each result and click apply" but there is nothing at all to select, like a box, and I can't even highlight the file name. I can choose to repair, move to chest, delete or do nothing but when I choose one of those and click 'apply' nothing happens, probably because nothing is selected. Im sure this file is part of Spybot's program. But do I get rid of it if I can't select it? Please help, thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unable to "select required action" to remove virus.....please help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
- My guess is that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory or are listings of files that can't be scanned. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So this is teatimer loading unencrypted signatures into memory, you have a few options, a) ignore then when they relate to teatimer, b) disable the real-time scanning (teatimer) in Spybot S&D or c) don't do a memory scan in your custom scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee88

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:14 AM »
That's a relief, thanks for the info and reducing my stress level! After my computer was infected with malware a year ago (I was using just SAS)I added both MBAM and Spybot S&D because I was told what one misses another one might pick up. Do you think that is overkill? I'm thinking of removing Spybot altogther.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »
I recommend that you remove Spybot. It conflicts with avast for some people (esp. with teatimer). MBAM and SuperAntispyware are both superior when it comes to an antispyware program anyway.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:31:08 AM »
That's a relief, thanks for the info and reducing my stress level! After my computer was infected with malware a year ago (I was using just SAS)I added both MBAM and Spybot S&D because I was told what one misses another one might pick up. Do you think that is overkill? I'm thinking of removing Spybot altogther.

With MBAM and SAS I would lose S&D, there is too much of a good thing to consider.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security