Author Topic: Avast Pro ver677 questions  (Read 6412 times)

Offline jason7619

Avast Pro ver677 questions
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
Hello;

Have switched trying Avast free to Avast Pro for now and I saw a "process virtualization". Is this sort of a sandbox?

I have Sandboxie 3.5 paid installed and am wondering what is the difference between them(SBIE and Avast's).

SBIE has a "Drop My Rights" feature, is it the same with Avast or there is a slight difference?

Don't know if this question is right but...have anyone used a browser in process virtualization alongside a running sandboxed browser?

In SBIE you have to configure where to place items you download, how is it in Avast sandbox?

Please some insights here for I am new to Avast Pro....

Also, I am using Win7 and when I do a manual update Windows 7 gives a pop-up box asking me if the program installed correctly....when I check the update is not reflected but only after a retstart does it shows the correct manual update. Is this so?

Is it okay to delay Avast loading and let Outpost finish first? I seem to have read something about it here somehwere....What is it's benefits if I do that(pros and cons)....?

Is it advisable to delay it or is it alright as long as it protects me...?

AND,

If there are any Avast Pro settings that you can share with me so I can be more protected, please I'd be glad to hear it from you guys.

I have also excluded Outpost Pro/HitmanPro/Malwarebytes so there would be no conflicts whatsoever. Soon I'll be adding Prevx(remove HitmanPro).

Any tips and ideas here is deeply appreciated.

Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Pro ver677 questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
Have switched trying Avast free to Avast Pro for now and I saw a "process virtualization". Is this sort of a sandbox?
What is the avast! Process Virtualization (avast! Sandbox)?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=455#idt_09

If there are any Avast Pro settings that you can share with me so I can be more protected, please I'd be glad to hear it from you guys.
I recomend the default settings, the avast team play with malware 24/7 so they should know....

Offline jason7619

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for some more tips as the link was too "general" for me as a new user of Avast...

Also along the line of virtualization:

a) can I use more than 1 browser in the proces virtualization as in Sandboxie paid and at the same time run a program inside it also, say, PDF viewer (not in a browser)...?

I am observing that updating Malwarebytes is slow if I do not exclude the URLs for updates of Mbam....while webshield is "on".

b) I do not use email programs  so I am thinking of changing the setup and uninstalling the MailShield. How may I do that? How can I change the setup(custom setup)? When I go to the Control Panel>Uninstall/Change it needs to connect to the internet first....why?

c) How may I save my current settings prior to making changes to the set-up?

d) CanI copy the settings/configuration and store it in a backup folder and use it for future use?

Please bear with me as I do really need to understand the progrm and not just leave it and let it be. I don't do that. I need to understand it better in order to like it the reason I ask a lot of questions/ideas/help.

Thank you very much and regards to all!

Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
In SBIE you have to configure where to place items you download, how is it in Avast sandbox?

Hi, the Process Virtualization is avast's own sandbox. If you go into the Expert Settings, there should be a tick box that says "automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox". With this checked, intentional downloads will not be virtualized/sandboxed. With the option unchecked, intentional downloads will go in the sandbox. Malware that is silently downloaded onto your computer [not intentional] will always be sandboxed, regardless whether this option is checked.

Your other questions:
a) You can run any program (.exe files) in the sandbox, not only browsers. You can use more than one browser in the sandbox. You can right click a program and select "Always run in sandbox" to make it so that it will always run virtualized when you double click to open it.

b) You are doing it the right way. The setup needs to connect to the internet in case you want to install a new feature that you specified to not be included in a previous installation. If you have an account set up for an email program [even if you don't use it], DavidR suggests that you keep the MailShield in case a Spambot gets access and sends spam out using your computer. The MailShield doesn't even use resources when it's not checking for mail, so keeping it will not slow your computer down.

c) Your settings will not be modified when you change the setup.

d) Unfortunately no. Users have requested it on the wishlist. 

Offline jason7619

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Hi GloobyGoob;

Thanks for the reply and explanation. Really want to know how it works so I'll be able to use it's full potential and pardon for my comparison to SBIE (got used to it and it's the one I use with the exception of GesWall)

Further questions if I may thank you:-)

"a) You can run any program (.exe files) in the sandbox, not only browsers. You can use more than one browser in the sandbox. You can right click a program and select "Always run in sandbox" to make it so that it will always run virtualized when you double click to open it.

--How about programs that need to run with adminitrator rights? In SBIE it has a  "DropMyRights" feature...does avast sandbox has this one or something else like it or none?

"b) You are doing it the right way. The setup needs to connect to the internet in case you want to install a new feature that you specified to not be included in a previous installation. If you have an account set up for an email program [even if you don't use it], DavidR suggests that you keep the MailShield in case a Spambot gets access and sends spam out using your computer. The MailShield doesn't even use resources when it's not checking for mail, so keeping it will not slow your computer down."

--Does this mean that I cannot make any changes to the setup if I am not connected to the internet? I am not always connected to the internet and I surf only when I am not tired from the office(mostly)...Is there any other way to change such setup? This is the only software that I know and have used that needs to connect to the internet prior changing it's setup...hmmmm..

Will keep Mail Shield as per yur advice thanks for the explanation there.

"c) Your settings will not be modified when you change the setup."
--Okay. Thanks.

"d) Unfortunately no. Users have requested it on the wishlist."
--Tsk..you'd have to do setting up all over again when you uninstalled / install it again... I usually save my security settings like in firewalls for easy launching of configurations.

Thanks again for the help in understanding how avast works.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
Hello,

--How about programs that need to run with adminitrator rights? In SBIE it has a  "DropMyRights" feature...does avast sandbox has this one or something else like it or none?

Avast sandbox doesn't drop the users rights, it monitors its activities regardless WHO executed the process (admin or guest). It just virtualizes everything no matter which access rights have the executer. On the contrary, avast sandbox removes some process privileges (e.g. shutdown privilege, load driver privilege, etc).

Petr

Offline jason7619

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:44 PM »
Thank you for the reply guys, really appreciate it.

One quick question if I may add....

How can I check the update if I am really updated. Like today the GUI says, I am at 101125-1 Releasedate: 11/25/2010 11:29:38PM Number of definitions: 2245770.....

Where in the website can I check if I am really up-to-date? Can you give me a link please...?

I also do manual downloading of updates at:

http://www.avast.com/download-update

But there is no way for me to know or check(it does not show what version of the update) it is until I have finished downloading it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
1. Thank you for the reply guys, really appreciate it.
2. How can I check the update if I am really updated. Like today the GUI says, I am at 101125-1 Releasedate: 11/25/2010 11:29:38PM Number of definitions: 2245770.....
3. Where in the website can I check if I am really up-to-date? Can you give me a link please...?
4. I also do manual downloading of updates at:

1. You're welcome.
2. You can perform a manual update, to be sure.
3. http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history-2010
4. Not required, if you have an online-system...!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jason7619

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply. If there are any problems I encounter along my switch from avastFree to avastPro I'll post it here. Thanks again! ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »
No problem, Jason...

Offline jason7619

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »
Excluded Outpost Pro folder in File System Shield earlier. Incompatibility pop up alert from updating Outpost. I just re-enabled WebControl in OP Pro after the Program Files>Agnitum exclusion. Thanks all!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
I haven't excluded the Outpost Pro folder in avast's FSS and no issues, some considerable time ago I excluded one Outpost file and that was the C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall Pro\wl_hook.dll, that is the only outpost file I have excluded.

The WebControl on OP Pro is unnecessary when you have the avast Web Shield and I think that it is that which OP is talking about in its compatibility. When you first install OP Pro part of the compatibility check and installation shouldn't install their anti-spyware and webcontrol modules if you have avast installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jason7619

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
@DavidR

I was using both Webguard (Avira)/WebControl(OP Pro)before and didn't had any issues. Sometimes I disabled Webguard when traffic is heavy. I just need to have a birds-eyeview of avastPro's WebShield / WebControl(OP Pro) in action together. Just new with avastPro and want to test more. But I agree with you that having both is redundant. Just like to see more observations then check observations if: (a) WebShield is disabled , (b)WebControl is disabled. Should have let it be when during the update WebControl got disabled but it would ruin my observations so I'd have to set it back. I'll get there.

Seems to be working fine and my trial of avastPro is not bumpy as when Avira ver10 came out..(man..that was different..but learned more!)

Thanks for the reply!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
You're welcome.

Well I don't know how avira's webguard works so I can't say if it would have potential for conflict with OP's webcontrol. I'm only stating what OP's installation did in compatibility mode.

However, I basically want my firewall to be just that a good firewall, I don't want it trying to be all things to all men.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security