Author Topic: new install on Server 2003 Ent. freezes machine?  (Read 4491 times)

liquidcherry

new install on Server 2003 Ent. freezes machine?
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
Hi y'all,

I just downloaded the trial version of the Standard Suite and installed the standalone Server 4.8 version on to our Server (2003 Ent.) and after the installation (what went smoothly) i restarted and a minute after installation and vdb update the machine started freezing until it became completely unresponsive, (with opened windows staying on the screen) all i could do was starting the TM, but every instance stayed on the screen) and i had to hard reboot into safe mode.After removing Avast in safe mode no problem occurred...

The only thing i could think off is that during the setup i chose "terminal Server" as my Server role (had years ago the SBS version installed and no problems)

The server runs as terminal server, file server and print server on a quad Intel with 6 gig, shouldn't be affected by AV soft, right?....

Anyone who can help me or do i have to go back to the crappy ESET biz suite? :-)

Cheers

Liquid

wpn

Re: new install on Server 2003 Ent. freezes machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »
sounds like you are trying to run 2 antivirus packages at the same time
you sure its uninstalled completely?

liquidcherry

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
Hi wpn!

greetings to Holland(i miss the coffee shops lol)

I uninstalled the crappy ESET stuff and ran some cleaners prior to the install of A., checked that no unwanted service is started etc.....but i can check it again maybe i missed something?

Again, this sort of confuses me since i had no problems in the past with installing and running avast, home/professional or server versions...maybe it has something to do that i wasn't the one who setup the server, i recently "took over"(still figuring out the sec./user settings)...other things i can think of is that the users who log in via Term Services are logging in over a VPN and after installing Avast server version one user logged in immediately? (maybe his update of the vdb was not finished?) well, questions over questions :-)

H E L P lol

Cheers

Liquid

liquidcherry

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
hmmmmmm, no one else has a clue/idea?

Cheers

Liquid

wpn

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
you checked nothing else was running?
neither the new microsoft tools for av or malware that come with the windows updates?

maybe you can see in the performance counter or task manager which proces is running high CPU/Disk access right now

which program are all installed on the server (which use disk access or a lot of CPU)?

run the ESET cleaners again, to see if its for sure removed...

what kind of server is it ?  DC Exchange DB ?
how much memory?
what CPU?

Krisrvftun

new install on Server 2003 Ent freezes machine
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:59 AM »
so that means well have tons of room for all the people playing and loving Crysis right?