Author Topic: system lockup at boot (( cause related to aswDisp.exe ))  (Read 1559 times)

daaje

system lockup at boot (( cause related to aswDisp.exe ))
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »
I have a laptop that was infected with malware.  We use ADNM to deploy to domain workstations and servers, but since this computer is not a member of the domain I installed the software using an MSI file.

The software appeared to install correctly and, for a time it seemed, worked (I recall being able to trigger a disk scan from the ADNM console).  However, now when I try to start the computer, it gets to the login screen and - as soon as I enter credentials - the computer locks at "welcome" and never arrives at the desktop (Windows XP Professional, SP3).

I booted in safe mode and deleted the registry entry to Run "aswDisp.exe" ... the computer started and got to desktop without incident.  Once at the desktop, I manually started the aswDisp.exe (since the Avast icon was not in the taskbar); on reboot, the symptoms recurred (I'm assuming that, on starting aswDisp.exe, it re-installed the startup in Registry).

What can I do to troubleshoot the problem?  Am I forced, at this point, to run without Avast AV protection?