Author Topic: Avast 5 Behavior Shield vs. Comodo 5 Defence+  (Read 3749 times)

Xarx

Avast 5 Behavior Shield vs. Comodo 5 Defence+
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
Hello.

I use Comodo CIS 5 (firewall and Defense +), and now I've upgraded to Avast 5 Home. In the new version of Avast, the Bevior Shield has been introduced. Is it better to turn the Behavior Shield off in order it does not interfere with Defense+, or does it provide a complementary functionality to Defence+? I do assume that the other shields do not conflict with CIS.

Thank you,
       Martin.

GloobyGoob

Re: Avast 5 Behavior Shield vs. Comodo 5 Defence+
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
Hello,

None of the Real-time Shields confict with Comodo Firewall/D+
Many users here use both products without issues.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
No conflicts between the behavior shield and the HIPS part of CIS (Defense+).
The best things in life are free.

Xarx

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Thank you.

But does it provide a different functionality not covered by CIS? If not, it would be better to turn it off, because it might begin to clash in future versions of Avast as the Behavior Shield gets extended. And as it uselessly consumes processor time.

And what about the other shields, e.g. the Network Shield? Are their functionalities covered by CIS (fw + hips), or are they based on the anti-virus (i.e. search signatures of known viruses)?

Martin.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »
Well, now the Behavior Shield focuses mainly on exploits. But in the near future it will be used to determine whether something should be run in the sandbox [which is coming to the free version] using heuristics.

The Network Shield blocks known malicious URLs, which CIS (firewall/D+) doesn't cover.

Xarx

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »
The Network Shield ... I use Firefox, and it blocks malicious sites by itself. But perhaps the Network Shield does more...