Author Topic: Best Firewall to use with Avast 5, Comodo or Online Armor?  (Read 17296 times)

YoKenny

Re: Best Firewall to use with Avast 5, Comodo or Online Armor?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »
Go with Online Armor and stay away from Comode ;)
Is that a Freudian slip ???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=comode

hayc59

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
LOL !! hehehe

Tenko

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
I recommend comodo firewall. You have to disable Win firewall manually. Don't forget that you get cloud scanner as a plus.

It's true that comodo needs to learn how your computers work and your programs.

I find the firewall very good and the firewall you get is more than a firewall.

Regards,
              Tenko

hayc59

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 03:24:23 AM »
Comode was good for a second when they first hit the web..then
well we all know where that went!!
grab a copy of Online Armor..you wont look back jack

brhokla

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:35 AM »
I'll be honest here.  I love the new Comodo, the interface, the look, the power it has but the constant pop-ups are what is keeping me away.  Online Armor learned my system when I configured the program during the install.  As long as your system is clean you can set it to do it automatically. This is the part that separates it from everything else.  If Comodo did this same thing, I'd be using Comodo.  Maybe one day it will.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:52:13 AM »
Well after learning about the problem with Comodo and the registry if you use Avast!, I decided to try Online Armor. It just finished installing, and although it takes the most memory of any firewall I've used, it's still a negligible 6MB. I like how it monitors your IE add-ons, and autoruns. It's like WinPatrol combined with a firewall. As long as the HIPS is good, I will stick with it.

Tenko

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
hey there again:)

I am happy to hear you found your choose. Comodo does give pop ups but not as many as before. Those who have had v3 and v4 know what I am talking about. I will show you a link where you can config comodo so that it doesn't give any pop almost.

http://www.youtube.com/languy99#p/u/20/Bj_Tg8EeY-s (there you go:) )

Regards,
              Tenko

brhokla

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
Tenko,

Thanks for that link.  Those video's are absolutely awesome.  I appreciate it and will spend some time watching those!  Thanks

Tenko

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
I am glad to hear that i could help and don't forget that comodo's forum is active.

Regards,
              Tenko

Offline jason7619

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
Along this line, if you wanna consider something else there is Defensewall and Private firewall(free). You can check out some changes in the new version for Private firewall here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=279923&highlight=Private+Firewall

Defensewall is not freeware but many are using it. Have not tried it yet.
Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Sammo

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
Running tests on your security software can also help in determining what to use. One of the tests I ran on both Comodo and Online Armor was the Comodo Leak Test (CLT). On my system Online Armor scored higher that Comodo did with CLT. Other firewalls like Zone Alarm totally failed the test.The SpyShelter tests are also good ones to try (SpyShelter is a free anti-keylogger software - http://spyshelter.com)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:07:26 PM by Sammo »

Offline jason7619

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 04:30:23 PM »
Yeah. Definitely agree with Sammo there. Testing via PCFlank/GRC ShieldsUP! would be good. Comodo has it's own leaktest but haven't used it yet. Masoutec's has a couple of guides you can check out.
Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

twl845

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
Go with Online Armor and stay away from Comode ;)
I advise the same, but have to mention that I have been running Outpost with Avast for almost a year with no problems.
When I used OA I found that every upgrade was a crap shoot. Some new versions created annoying problems because of bugs. I can't speak for them since they were bought out though. Maybe the new owner has eliminated the bugs.

The Dude 321

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 06:37:52 AM »
I use Comodo and Avast Free. I have never had a problem.

SafeSurf

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »
When I used OA I found that every upgrade was a crap shoot. Some new versions created annoying problems because of bugs. I can't speak for them since they were bought out though. Maybe the new owner has eliminated the bugs.
The real bugs you mention do not exist now with the new owners as they run a different ship these days with more rigorous testing before a release is put out to the public.  The current OA v.4.5.1.431 is very stable and many OA users also use Avast since there is no conflict.

As with any product you select, trial it before you purchase it to see how you like it and how it plays with your other software in your system.