Author Topic: Format a laptop  (Read 6945 times)

Avastfan1

Format a laptop
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
Dear Forum,

Three quick questions:

1. What is the easiest way to format a laptop hard drive and reload Windows?

The laptop currently has a version of Windows in another language. I would like to wipe the hard drive and install a fresh version of Windows XP.

2. How many 'real' drives does my laptop have?

In Windows Explorer, I see C: and D:, although I am not sure whether it has one physical hard drive. For the new install of Windows XP, I only want ONE drive. However, I don't really want to muck around with drive partitions etc. I don't really know how to either :-)

3. Is it possible to keep the drivers which are currently installed? If so, how?

Thank you for you suggestions!

Avastfan1

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Format a laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
If it has a recovery partition, you just reboot and hit the F10 during start. It should take you to the recovery start, where you can sett it back to factory spec
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:51:25 PM by Pondus »

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
You will have to explain that more clearly for a newbie like me! :-)

1. What is the easiest way to format a laptop hard drive and reload Windows XP?

3. Is it possible to keep the drivers which are currently installed? If so, how?

Thank you!

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:00:39 PM »
1. What is the easiest way to format a laptop hard drive and reload Windows?

The laptop currently has a version of Windows in another language. I would like to wipe the hard drive and install a fresh version of Windows XP.

**if your CD is Bootable then its easy to format from CD,
(Don't Delete any partition if you need the file from other partition)

In Windows Explorer, I see C: and D:, although I am not sure whether it has one physical hard drive. For the new install of Windows XP, I only want ONE drive. However, I don't really want to muck around with drive partitions etc. I don't really know how to either

**** It is practical to put 2 partition one is use for back-up, and other partition use for windows operation.

if you are not sure then right-click the drive and look for properties to make sure if it is Physical or vertual.

and if you have enough space in your drive

*** if you don't have the back-up file of that driver, then keep that driver for your re-installation.
but its beter to find new to avoid retain preview infection. XP is easy to find the driver through device manager connect to internet.

important to have back-up driver of all network card you have.

Regards!!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
1. What is the easiest way to format a laptop hard drive and reload Windows XP?
The recovery partition if it has one, it will then be sett back to how it was when it was new.........
you then have to download all updates again and also remove all crap software....if any...

Avastfan1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Will Windows XP format the whole physical drive and remove both the current 'C:' and 'D:'?

How can I save the drivers which are currently installed?

Will I need to change any BIOS settings whilst installing the new version of Windows XP?

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:38:26 PM »

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Will Windows XP format the whole physical drive and remove both the current 'C:' and 'D:'?

The format will only clear the C: drive.

How can I save the drivers which are currently installed?

Save the installer you downloaded to a Flash drive.

Will I need to change any BIOS settings whilst installing the new version of Windows XP?
I do't think so.

Avastfan1

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
Thanks again.

1. How can I easily clear both C: and D:?

2. Could you please tell me how to save the installer?

I am unsure which installer you mean. I would like to save all the drivers which are installed currently on the PC (if that is possible).

Cheers.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
I would not clear the D: drive as that maybe is the Restore drive and will be real hard to recreate.  :o

I know as I did it on my XP Pro system by mistake and had to call IBM for the set of CDs to restore the partition that cost me about $100.00 and a week long wait for them to arrive as it is an IBM ThinkCentre system.  

You can select the language when you install.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:57:57 PM by YoKenny »

Avastfan1

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
The laptop is an ASUS laptop.

Could you recommend how to save the drivers? I was unsure which installer you meant...

Thanks.

Avastfan1

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
How can I or should I write down all the drivers that I have installed before I format?

How can I be sure I will find them all again?

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
How can I be sure I will find them all again?
Thanks!

Go to the ASUS HP, search for the drivers for your machine and download them...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bong2x

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
the original driver of the machine must have back-up by the time you bought it.
if not included in the package then the system must have a restore drive.
if do not have restore drive then to their web site support
Consumer rights ;)

the only way to retain your driver is to fresh install the OS to other partition. leave the old partition to be your back-up but before you install you must create a partition first using partition software. and do not create partition using CD it can wipe out all the Drive.

your previews driver it cannot be gather, the only things you can use is the .inf and that the guide of the system to trace where all the file to be copied.

if your machine is user friendly you don't have to worry just search the number of your machine in manufacturer site and you can download the driver for your machine.

Regards!!!

Avastfan1

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
The support is much appreciated.

Is there any way which I could build a complete list of the specific drivers which are currently installed?