Author Topic: [RESOLVED]strange behavior report file, then no reports  (Read 15781 times)

balm

Re: strange behavior report file, then no reports
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 01:28:19 AM »
ok thank you gentlemen :)

so the actual registry value in the computer now should be there and should = (1)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 01:38:14 AM »
1. ok thank you gentlemen :)
2. so the actual registry value in the computer now should be there and should = (1)

1. You're welcome..! :)
2. Yes.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

balm

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »
1. from what i read its no conflicts using Avast(free), Windows 7 Defender (real-time), and MBAM(free) all at the same time,correct??? (even if warning slow system)

2.will adding Spybot S&D (free) - (which has schedule update, and schedule on-demand scans, i think)-  plus the above, cause conflicts?

thnaks for your input

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »
1. from what i read its no conflicts using Avast(free), Windows 7 Defender (real-time), and MBAM(free) all at the same time,correct??? (even if warning slow system)

2.will adding Spybot S&D (free) - (which has schedule update, and schedule on-demand scans, i think)-  plus the above, cause conflicts?

thnaks for your input

1. Correct.
2. I wouldn't use Spybot.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 08:54:23 AM »
@ balm,

I agree, do not add Spybot as we have seen problems with this and Avast.  You have good protection using Avast and MBAM now.  What are you using for a firewall...the Win7 firewall or something else?

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
2. I wouldn't use Spybot.
+2

Keep Windows Defender definitions up to date with its portal:
Latest definition version: 1.95.656.0
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

balm

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »
Asyn, Yokenny, Safesurf, thank you all for your recommendations,

1. yes i am using Windows & "Defender" so far, but i was letting it auto check for updates before running scan - but i notice the definitions dont match as per YoKenny

2. so i WILL follow your recommendations re. Spybot (free), the reason i was thinking Spybot was this:

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/general-security/antimalware-programs.html

and this,

Any effective antivirus does a good job protecting from viruses and basic malware, but they often lack detection of seriously dangerous malware. While there are no free and effective real-time (scanning all items when they enter your computer; not just on-demand scanning) antimalware programs, you should still run an antimalware scan at least once a month. And you can do this for free!

If using terms "antivirus" and "antimalware" confuses you, read our article about how viruses differ from other malware.

For security purposes, I recommend having two different antimalware programs installed - Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes' Antimalware. As they do not do real-time scanning, they do not slow down your everyday computer usage. Both have their strong points and complement each other.

Spybot Search & Destroy
It was a flagship of antimalware programs a few years ago, but now its age starts to show. Spybot Search & Destroy (often called just "Spybot" or "Spybot S&D") has still a good detection and removal rate, but its main strong point is adding a special blacklist of malicious sites to Windows hosts file and Internet Explorer's list of Restricted sites - a process called Immunization.

A malicious site included in hosts file by Spybot S&D cannot be resolved to a working IP-address, so you are protected from entering the site and therefore chances of getting your computer infected there are zero!

Immunization by Spybot S&D actually does a good job preventing malicious software from getting into your computer in the first place!  Combine this with McAfee SiteAdvisor and you get a much safer Internet experience.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:26:42 PM by balm »

YoKenny

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
When I see
Immunization by Spybot S&D actually does a good job preventing malicious software from getting into your computer in the first place!  Combine this with McAfee SiteAdvisor and you get a much safer Internet experience.
I know that SpybotS&D is useless as much as McAfee SiteAdvisor is.

Malwarebytes is miles ahead of Spybot S&D.

balm

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
YoKenny,

ididnt realize Mcafee Advisor was that useless,

but ill take your word for it...thank you, also remember its the MBAM free version so no extra real-time scan

while we are on the subject of security, what you think about these (free):

-KeyScrambler Personal (seems to freexe IE8 though)
-MS EMET
-Secunia PSI

thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:52:03 PM by balm »

YoKenny

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
-KeyScrambler Personal <== don't use it
-MS EMET <== don't use it
-Secunia PSI <== quite good and I use it

balm

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
are you telling me that you havent used it or are you telling me not to use it?

YoKenny

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »
I meant have not used it not don't use it.  :-[

English is a funny language where things have very different meanings when used in different context.

SafeSurf

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
Many of us here use Secunia PSI, and it comes highly recommended since software changes so frequently.  We like to keep our software current (up to date) as this reduces the chances of a security risk.

There has not been any mention on the forum regarding the other two software you mentioned, nor have I heard of them.  Since we do a lot of fixes and malware removal, that doesn't say too much about them I guess.  ::)  Perhaps looking at user's Signatures (at the bottom of user's posts) to get an idea of their system set up might help.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »
1. Many of us here use Secunia PSI, and it comes highly recommended since software changes so frequently.  We like to keep our software current (up to date) as this reduces the chances of a security risk.
2. There has not been any mention on the forum regarding the other two software you mentioned, nor have I heard of them.

1. +1
2. Sorry, SafeSurf, but I have to correct that. EMET is a well known MS-tool..!! ;)
You can read about it here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63221.msg536887#msg536887
as well as in some other topics on the forum and it's worth using it, if one understands what to do with it, imo...!! (I don't know anything about KeyScrambler Personal though...)
Have a nice weekend,
asyn

MAG

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
I've used keyscrambler in the past and had no problems with it - if you're concerned about keyloggers it should be effective.

(I removed it because it isn't compatible with Trusteer Rapport (which has its own scrambler for protected sites)).