Author Topic: Can Norton Anti-Virus prevent an Avast Download from accessing the Internet?  (Read 5635 times)

pawprints43

Hey everyone,

About three months ago I purchased a new computer running Windows 7 (64bit)with a 90 day trial of Norton Anti-virus pre-loaded and recently my trial expired. Well, truth be told, I had 5 days left so I thought I would download the free edition of Avast and install it early. I thought I could un-install Norton early too, but then started the problem. After I uninstalled Norton every time I downloaded/installed Avast I could not access the Internet. I would click on IExplorer8, and I could not connect. Once I would un-install Avast...problem fixed. A few minutes ago I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool and totally removed (at least I hope so) Norton from my system. Here is the message I was receiving before I un-installed Norton: Error Unspecified. C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86) \NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\ENGINE\17.8.0.5\uistub.exe

Do I dare try to download Avast again?

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003-2010 products from your computer.

1) (If possible) Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.
The best things in life are free.

nil117

Hey everyone,

About three months ago I purchased a new computer running Windows 7 (64bit)with a 90 day trial of Norton Anti-virus pre-loaded and recently my trial expired. Well, truth be told, I had 5 days left so I thought I would download the free edition of Avast and install it early. I thought I could un-install Norton early too, but then started the problem. After I uninstalled Norton every time I downloaded/installed Avast I could not access the Internet. I would click on IExplorer8, and I could not connect. Once I would un-install Avast...problem fixed. A few minutes ago I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool and totally removed (at least I hope so) Norton from my system. Here is the message I was receiving before I un-installed Norton: Error Unspecified. C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86) \NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\ENGINE\17.8.0.5\uistub.exe

Do I dare try to download Avast again?

Thanks!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Just follow Tech's direction exactly to rid all possible leftovers....and an install attempt/success is not likely to cause any problem. Probably work out fine ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
I agree with Tech also. You will find avast is a much better anti-virus than Norton. I had to use the Norton removal tool to get rid of Norton. Another utility is WinUtilities Free which can be downloaded from CNET.com. Good luck.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

SafeSurf

Another utility is WinUtilities
Third-party uninstallers are not recommended for security software, especially antivirus. 

Therefore, use the suggestion given by Tech. 

Should you continue to have errors with Symantec/Norton after using their uninstaller, you can do the following:
- Create a restore point.  Go into Safe Mode > Search > All files and folders > Advanced Options (make sure all boxes on the bottom are checked off except case sensitive) > type in the TOP box in the left pane "Symantec" or "Norton" or NAV (Norton Antivirus) > click "Search.  Anything that shows up in the right window pane should be related to Symantec/Norton, but if in doubt, right click it > Properties to see.  If it is part of Symantec/Norton, delete it and put in the Recycle bin, and empty the bin while in Safe Mode.  Reboot.