Author Topic: Avast Blocked on Startup [SOLVED]  (Read 20991 times)

Probzzie

Avast Blocked on Startup [SOLVED]
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
Hey how is everyone today, good I hope.
Need some help with my computer. First of all I'm running Vista Ultimate pretty freshly installed (about two months) The problem I am having happens on start up. The blocked programs icon shows in my taskbar and the program blocked is Avast! I tried adding Avast to the startup folder but no luck... Can anyone offer help?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:53:25 PM by Bigbear_0488 »

Probzzie

Re: Avast Blocked on Startup
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »
Also it is set up to always run as administrator under the compaitability tab.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
What version of avast are you using and firewall? what does the blocking message say exactly.

Probzzie

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »
Thanks so much for responding so quickly!!!!
Avast 5 is the version and windows defender is my firewall.

Windows has blocked programs that require permission to run when windows starts.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
Is it 5.0.677 free/pro/IS ? defender is antispyware not a firewall, personaly i would disable windows defender, it's not much good.

Probzzie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
Really? I can do that and restart, could that possibly be the problem?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
Really? I can do that and restart, could that possibly be the problem?
Defender shouldn't be the problem but if we get rid of it we'll see what happens.

Probzzie

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
Ok rebooted. Defender is now disabled under Administrative Options in Windows Defender however no luck.

Probzzie

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
Is it 5.0.677 free/pro/IS ?

Its Avast free 5.0.677

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
I'll have to leave you in the capable hands of other forum members who will be along soon, sorry. It's 4.30am here and i need some sleep, bye for now.

Probzzie

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
Thank you so much your help was greatly appreciated. Understand the time again Thank You so much for your help

Probzzie

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
Update! I reinstalled avast with no luck when i restarted the blocked programs icon wasn't showing up. I then installed updated my Avast and rebooted my PC. The blocked programs then showed back up still blocking avast from starting on start up by itself unless i choose to run the blocked program... . . UGH frustration
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:36:15 PM by Probzzie »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »
I would have jumped in earlier, but I don't use Vista and I don't know what this icon is or if it is a Vista OS icon/message ?

However, I would have though it would have given a little more reason why it was blocked ?

The "Windows has blocked programs that require permission to run when windows starts" doesn't say what permission is required, so I was kind of hoping that there might be a windows event viewer entry that might give more information. Have you applied any additional security settings that might actually be blocking avast, etc. ?

There must be literally millions of Vista and avast5 users and this is the first instance I can recall of this problem you mention.

Check out this Microsoft KB article on this error and see if it is any help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930367.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Probzzie

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »
I have to slim it down to this occurring roughly around the period I attempted to use Windows defender to its fullest extent (everything it offers in use) But I recently turned defender right off and its still not working. Darn vista! hah

Probzzie

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Thank you for the link, howver my problem cannot be fixed by the article simply because its methods are Allow the program (this only runs it because I allowed it, restarting will bring up the same occurrance) Blocking will stop it from starting and disabling won't work as i will manually have to start the program...
When I put Avast in my startup folder all that happened was when I went to run blocked programs there was TWO blocked programs both being avast.