Author Topic: Avast Blocked on Startup [SOLVED]  (Read 20995 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Blocked on Startup
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:28 AM »
I was kind of hoping that it would have a 'remember' this choice, e.g. allow it in the future, too simple I guess.

I don't thing turning off defender would be enough as many security applications still have low level elements that will still be running and or the setting changes that they made would still be in effect. So I don't know if going back into WD and resetting those security changes or lowering them might allow avast.

There must also be a section in WD to allow the avast start-up items.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Probzzie

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
okay I'm attempting a restart with Windows Defender ON But with ALL options turned off like asked hopefully I come back with an automatic avast start up.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 12:50:39 AM »
Fingers crossed, as I'm running out of ideas.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Probzzie

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
No luck.. Still blocked the program. User Account Control is preventing start up.

Nesivos

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 01:47:19 AM »
Try looking at this even if you are using another Firewall.  If you are you many want to go through the same steps with regard to that Firewall and Avast.

To unblock any application (in Vista), go to:

1. Start --> Control Panel
2. Double-Click Windows Firewall
3. On the left-hand side pane, click "Allow a program through Windows Firewall"
4. When the "Windows Firewall Settings" box pops up, you'll see a list of apps that are or are not being blocked by the Firewall. If it is, go to step 7.
5. If it isn't already in the list, then click the "Add Program..." button, and see if it's listed. If yes, click it and highlight it and click OK. Go to step 7.
6. Click the "Browse" button and browse for the .exe file. Click OK, make sure it's highlighted and then click OK again.
7. In the "Program or Port" listbox, click on the checkbox next to it so that it's checked off, then click Apply then OK.

http://bit.ly/hfkULJ

Probzzie

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 02:29:56 AM »
I was sure this was the problem considering avast was not on the windows firewall allow list.
However this did not fix my problem any other ideas perhaps?

Probzzie

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »
Nesivos. I forgot to thank you for your advice and like I said the firewall was not set up to let Avast! So I thank you because I predict this would of eventually become a problem.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »
Hi bigbear, if you type msconfig in the run box and go to startup's, is avast allowed to start?, another option could be to disable uac http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/
You do not have to add avast to any exclusion's in the windows firewall either, this is only needed in 3rd party firewalls.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:29:56 AM by craigb »

Probzzie

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
If UAC is off a red X appears at the taskbar. Is there anyway of removing the X? Probably not its a safety feature. User Account Control being off would indeed fix the problem but lesson my systems security wouldn't it?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
If UAC is off a red X appears at the taskbar. Is there anyway of removing the X? Probably not its a safety feature. User Account Control being off would indeed fix the problem but lesson my systems security wouldn't it?
There is a way to disable it permanently, type msconfig in run box, go to tools, scroll down to disable uac, click and it should ask for reboot.
UAC does not stop any infection it just gives a security warning to ask if you really want to run a program and if you have clicked for a program to run then who need's a secondary program to ask if you really want to run it.
UAC was the biggest annoying program on vista, at least they made it easy to turn off in win7 :)

YoKenny

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
UAC was the biggest annoying program on vista, at least they made it easy to turn off in win7 :)
UAC is a lot less invasive in Windows 7

Note: Disabling UAC will lead to a less secure system, so be warned.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
If you have good protection on your system UAC is useless i feel, never used it on any of my own systems and iv disabled it on everyone's computer that i know of and no one has ever had a problem. It's just a warning mechanism, i trust avast and MBAM as my warning mechanism's :)

Nesivos

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
Nesivos. I forgot to thank you for your advice and like I said the firewall was not set up to let Avast! So I thank you because I predict this would of eventually become a problem.

You are welcome.

Is your version of Vista completely updated?  Make sure that it is updated.

When you uninstalled Avast and then reinstalled it did you use the Avast uninstall utility?
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Also after running the uninstall did you clean your registry?

After using the Avast Uninstall Utility run at least one registry cleaner program using/including "Deep Scan"

Sorry I will not recommend any Registry cleaner programs because I don't want to be responsible if using the one I recommend messes up your registry.

You might also want to run a anti-rootkit program before rebooting.

After doing the above and before rebooting recheck the setting on your Windows firewall to see if there has been any change.

Reboot, using a "cold reboot" and again check your Windows firewall to see if the settings are different from before the reboot.

If everything looks okay you could then try and reinstall Avast.  

What I am not sure about is if you can or should reinstall it in the "Windows Safe Mode".   If you can you might want to consider that and then see what happens in the "Windows Safe Mode"  I would however, double check this with someone who knows more about installing Avast.

Safe mode will not load all the Drivers on your system.  There could be a Driver conflict in your system causing the problem but the conflict may go away loading Windows in the Safe Mode.

If the problem has gone away loading Windows in the Safe Mode then reboot normally and see if there is still no problem.  If there isn't you are good to go.  If the problem returns then you might have a Driver conflict.  If that is the case I think you might have to compare what Drivers are loading in the Safe Mode and which ones are loading in the regular mode but not in the Safe Mode.   You could then go from there, find the Driver conflict and eliminate. 

The above is probably a long shot, but Driver conflicts have been known to cause all kinds of weird things to happen to the computers that the conflicts are on.

Just some thoughts.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:37:47 PM by Nesivos »

Probzzie

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »
Awesome thanks, No I didn't use the tool however I will attempt to reinstall after using the avast remove tool.
Safe mode is a bright idea too. Maybe even before I install to see if a driver is the problem.
ALSO I use AML Free Registry cleaner is this a suitable cleaner for the clean?

Probzzie

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
Okay and as I said I would just turn off the UAC but I get that annoying red X stating to me that it is off.