Author Topic: Lightweight, easy-to-use firewall  (Read 12378 times)

Tenko

Re: Lightweight, easy-to-use firewall
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
okey. I understand what you are trying to get at :)

Avastfan1

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

I installed Online Armor successfully. Rebooted and the system loads into Windows, but the screen freezes on the desktop and Avast has the yellow warning sign on the icon near the clock.

Booted into safe mode, uninstalled Online Armor and the computer is booting correctly.

Online Armor does not like the laptop (or Avast!).

Should I try Comodo? I really think the Laptop is too old to handle a 3rd party firewall and Avast.

It is an ASUS laptop Intel Pentium M Processor 1.6GHz with 1.0Gb Ram and a hard drive of 76Gb. Windows XP SP3 fully updated is loaded on the system!

Best regards,

Avastfan1

Avastfan1

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
Tenko: Är du verkligen svensk? Var bor du i Sverige? Kan jag anta att du är 08? :-)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

I installed Online Armor successfully. Rebooted and the system loads into Windows, but the screen freezes on the desktop and Avast has the yellow warning sign on the icon near the clock.

Booted into safe mode, uninstalled Online Armor and the computer is booting correctly.

Online Armor does not like the laptop (or Avast!).

Should I try Comodo? I really think the Laptop is too old to handle a 3rd party firewall and Avast.

It is an ASUS laptop Intel Pentium M Processor 1.6GHz with 1.0Gb Ram and a hard drive of 76Gb. Windows XP SP3 fully updated is loaded on the system!

Best regards,

Avastfan1
Only having 1gig ram is feesable as long as you dont have to many startup's turned on, you can look at startup's in msconfig/startup's and see if there is anything there that you do not need, otherwise just stick with the windows firewall/avast/malwarebytes :)

Tenko

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »
Ja, jag är svensk och bor i Tyskland för tillfället och jag är född 88 :)

Jag föreslår att du försöker med Comodo firewall. Kopiera länken nedanför för att hämta comodo.

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cfw_installer_x86.exe

Jag rekommendera att du köper två 1Gb's ram minne (jag antar att datorn har minst två minne-slots) så att datan har tillräckligt med minne; när jag var yngre då Vista var rätt så ny frågade jag en expert vad en dator ska ha för ram minne och han svarade: minst 1,5Gb.

MVH,
        Tenko

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
Try the Sunbelt (previously Kerio) firewall. I used to use it on a 2003 laptop.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »
Ja, jag är svensk och bor i Tyskland för tillfället och jag är född 88 :)

Jag föreslår att du försöker med Comodo firewall. Kopiera länken nedanför för att hämta comodo.

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cfw_installer_x86.exe

Jag rekommendera att du köper två 1Gb's ram minne (jag antar att datorn har minst två minne-slots) så att datan har tillräckligt med minne; när jag var yngre då Vista var rätt så ny frågade jag en expert vad en dator ska ha för ram minne och han svarade: minst 1,5Gb.

MVH,
        Tenko
This is a english forum guys. Extra ram would be a good option depending if you have DDR2.
Avastfan1 you would also have to add avast to the exclusions in online armor after the install and before the reboot. Once it reboots open the online armor gui and untick programs,make sure that anything related to avast is green then reboot again, online armor requires two reboots to install as well as uninstall.

Tenko

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »
I know this is english forum but I wanted to answer swedish since he asked me if I am from sweden :) I didn't know that sunbelts firewall for free? Nice
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:44:06 PM by Tenko »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »
I know this is english forum but I wanted to answer swedish since he asked me if I am from sweden :) is sunbelts firewall for free?

Yup.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Aethec

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
I never saw the point in monitoring outbound connections...if a virus is on your computer, you're screwed anyway  :-\

Tenko

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »
infected computer yes but it can protect other from getting infected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »
I never saw the point in monitoring outbound connections...if a virus is on your computer, you're screwed anyway  :-\

There is every point in doing it if for no other reason to stop it downloading more malware (making cleaning even harder) or as has been mentioned infecting other systems.

Any outbound connection from the local system will have any associated inbound connection pass straight through your firewall as the request came from the local system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dansorin

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
...I installed Online Armor successfully. Rebooted and the system loads into Windows, but the screen freezes on the desktop and Avast has the yellow warning sign on the icon near the clock.

Online Armor does not like the laptop (or Avast!)...
had the same problem with OA some time ago. ZoneAlarm gave me the exact same booting delay. but Outpost Firewall Free worked great, it might be an option to try. other than that, XP's firewall is not that bad. I saw computers running for years with XP firewall and had absolutely no problem. and when it comes to resources, you can't beat XP's firewall, it's very light. but when considering what security to install, it greatly depends on the user habits.