Author Topic: Help... Don't know where to start.  (Read 3260 times)

Probzzie

Help... Don't know where to start.
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
A friend of mine has recently had her email automatically sending emails to her contact list. I told her that there was more then likely a problem regarding her system, she indicated to me that an AV software was not present on her system. After I suggested her to download Avast! it gave her this message:

Suspicious files have been detected (using a heuristic method). This may be a sign of malware infection. Please allow the files to be submitted to our virus lab for analysis.

She did not send to the lab however she just exited and left it alone. What step should she take first in order to clean her computer?? Should she run a boot-time scan? Any ideas?
I wish I could give more information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help... Don't know where to start.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »
First we need information:
Like what was the file name and location referred to in the alert ?

The alert appears to be the anti-rootkit scan 8 minutes after boot and she should send it to avast so it can be analysed, this would confirm one way or another and not only that could help other avast users (support/help is a two way street ;) ).

A boot time scan is unlikely to find this as it was the anti-rootkit scan that detected it, which I don't believe can be run before windows starts. However, if email is actually being sent from her system then if the rootkit isn't present avast may be able to detect the process sending it out. The trojan Spambot that sends out email often come with a rootkit to hide the process sending out the spam.

I would also suggest that she increases the Mail Shield Heuristic sensitivity to High, this may be able to block the sending of spam and identify the file name of the process responsible for sending it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Probzzie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
Thank you so much. I'm going to encourage her to make an account and refer these issues to you.
Sometimes people are unaware of how bad malicious software is. She is on her second computer because the first one halted as she explained and her suspicions are viruses.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:23:29 PM »
Sorry for her problems.
Please advise her..on any computer..at all times..Anti Virus and Firewall are a MUST
Hope all turns out well ;)

Probzzie

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »
Apology I forgot to mention I have no other details besides the part I have givin you.