Author Topic: questions about Avast  (Read 15165 times)

SafeSurf

Re: questions about Avast
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
@ bobginger,

Here is the information for uninstalling Spyboot SD:

Uninstall Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html. In addition, you need to go into Advanced settings to disable the resident protection (2 areas to possibly disable – Teatimer and some IE blocking), then de-immunize if the immunity has been set.  That takes a minute or more sometimes.  The run the program’s own uninstaller, which should be in the Add/Remove Programs.
Also see this recent thread in Avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65833.30 - See Post #31.

bobginger

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »
Hi,
 I read the uninstall instructions on the Spybot web page, at the end is the following statement;

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you cannot find this folder please check your folder properties.)

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.

I would think that as long as I am not reinstalling I would be safe to delete this folder correct, my concern would be putting suspicious files back into the system.
Thanks Bob

SafeSurf

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 08:38:01 AM »
You may want to ask that question on the Spybot forum http://forums.spybot.info/ to be sure since it is their product.

bobginger

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
I asked yesterday, waiting for a reply, just wanted to know what you thought. I am thinking maybe just leave it.
Bob

SafeSurf

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
I understand your point of view in waiting to hear back from the other forum.  I don't mind waiting until you hear back from them.  Just post back at some point so this thread doesn't stay in limbo.  Thanks.  :)

bobginger

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »
Here is the question;

I am asking because I am wondering about this statement in the knowledge base

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.

Response;

If you do not need Spybot - Search & Destroy any more and do not want to use any backups then you can delete that folder safely.

Bob

SafeSurf

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »
Bob,

I will contact one of our other Evang. who used to have SB and get his opinion on this or see if he can post in this thread.  I can see that you are hesitant in uninstalling it, and no one is pushing you to do so.  I'm not sure when he will be on the forum again, so please be patient until he receives my message.  Thank you.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
First thing to ask is: Is there actually anything in the folder?
If so what?
If it's in cryptospeak, have a look in the program GUI under "recovery". If there's nothing there, no reason not to delete the folder. (No hurry to delete it, either, it's not going to have the slightest effect on the computer, apart from occupying a little disk space. If it were me, tidiness would dictate its removal.)

I've actually got S&D installed myself, with the teatimer off. (Don't use it much, except if someone else needs to know stuff about it.)

So far, no problems noticed. However, you can have too much of a good thing. MBAM and SAS are more than adequate (should you get an infection.)

Definitely if you are going to uninstall it I would undo the immunity. It sets something called "kill bits" in the registry, which can probably only easily be removed using S&D. It would take a long time to manually remove them.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bobginger

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
First thing to ask is: Is there actually anything in the folder?
If so what?
If it's in cryptospeak, have a look in the program GUI under "recovery". If there's nothing there, no reason not to delete the folder. (No hurry to delete it, either, it's not going to have the slightest effect on the computer, apart from occupying a little disk space. If it were me, tidiness would dictate its removal.)

I've actually got S&D installed myself, with the teatimer off. (Don't use it much, except if someone else needs to know stuff about it.)

So far, no problems noticed. However, you can have too much of a good thing. MBAM and SAS are more than adequate (should you get an infection.)

Definitely if you are going to uninstall it I would undo the immunity. It sets something called "kill bits" in the registry, which can probably only easily be removed using S&D. It would take a long time to manually remove them.
Thanks for the reply,
 So, I could leave it installed and use Malwarebytes in addition? I use S&D with Tea Timer disabled now, I usually just get their updates and do a weekly scan.
Thanks Bob

SafeSurf

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 07:17:33 AM »
Bob, this is why I asked Tarq57 to post to the thread to give you a different perspective.  Now you can make an informed decision. 

Yes, you can use MBAM with SB and Avast.  Let me know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.