Author Topic: Avast, and RPC  (Read 3102 times)

BlitzenZeus

Avast, and RPC
« on: August 15, 2004, 11:42:28 AM »
Sorry if its covered somewhere in a FAQ I didn't find, but why does Avast need to attach itself to RPC?  On 9x systems it causes rpc/dcom to start listening on two ports, and one of those is a targeted port, however users should run a firewall anyway.  On NT systems if rpc hangs for any reason, like a error running a network service it won't run until its resolved.  It would seem that this dependency would is more of a crutch than anything else.

I usually have the dhcp service set to manual since I'm not on a network or broadband, but when I was going to borrow a friends connection to download a huge update there was a problem.  When I started my computer on his connection my system was hanging a little bit, and the reason was it was trying to use the dhcp service when it wasn't set to automatic startup.  Well I also got an avast error....  I set the dhcp service back to automatic from manual, and started it.  Everything was fine again, but this dependency sure seems to be a possbile problem.

Is there a reaon it needs to attach itself like this?  Hypothetically if a program could cause rpc to hang, could it cause avast to not be effective?

This was on XP SP1, and SP2.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:23:33 AM by BlitzenZeus »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast, and RPC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:07:22 AM »
avast! uses (L)RPC to communicate between its components. Vlk may have more info... I think it's used e.g. for communication with the Chest.

BlitzenZeus

Re:Avast, and RPC
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:20:03 AM »
Thanks, I'm not the only one who finds this to be a problem, but I solved my issue on my own.
Problem with RPC error startup
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:20:21 AM by BlitzenZeus »