Author Topic: Help Avast put a file I need into Virus chest  (Read 2181 times)

gregoates1953

Help Avast put a file I need into Virus chest
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
Avast put a file that is part of my scanner program into the Virus Chest. It is a perfectly legitimate file. I now cannot run the program. I need the program for my business and cannot find the virus chest to mark the file as OK. When I click on virus chest all it gives me is virus chest settings, not the chest itself.  I desperately need to get this file out of the virus chest.  Where the heck is it?.............

Gargamel360

Re: Help Avast put a file I need into Virus chest
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »
Are you using Avast! 5?
The chest is accessible through the UI.  Open Avast!, it is in the maintenance section.

Avast put a file that is part of my scanner program into the Virus Chest. It is a perfectly legitimate file.
You say this, but are you aware the are viruses that infect legitimate files on your PC? Could you post a screenshot of the detection?
What is this "scanner program" you speak of?   If it runs on-access, extracting it from chest, Avast! will likely just throw it back in again.  Thus you would also need to set an exclusion for it.

ps/your email address is showing, you may wish to hide it (Profile>>AccountRelated Settings>>Check "Hide Email") to avoid getting spam harvested.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:35:33 AM by Gargamel360 »

gregoates1953

Re: Help Avast put a file I need into Virus chest
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
Gargame........Thanks for the quick response.  Yes I finally did find it int the Maintenance section.  The program is old Page Manager 98. I use it for scanning and filing checks I have received from my customers. The file that Avast moved IS part of that software. I think that possibly because it is so old it was flagged by Avast. I restored the file and everything works well now.  Thanks so much for your help...............Greg