Author Topic: Avast Pro versus other paid for AntiVirus Suites!  (Read 5731 times)

brhokla

Avast Pro versus other paid for AntiVirus Suites!
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
Just trying to find some test results that compare the paid for versions of Avast to others such as AVG, Avira, Comodo, Norton and any others.  Figured this is the best place to ask for those links, test results.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Pro versus other paid for AntiVirus Suites!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
There isn't a non-biased place to look for it.
Even links available on Internet could be paid by some manufacturer.
The detection could be compared at http://www.av-comparatives.org/
The best things in life are free.

brhokla

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
That's the problem Ive been having.  Seems like far too much favortism in one program or another.  Trying to find something that's unbiased if such a thing exist.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
The other aspect is that you can't compare avast Pro with other AV Suites (as in your title) as avast pro isn't a suite but a stand alone Anti-Virus, any comparison would have to be based on the Avast Internet Security (AIS) suite and not just the Pro version, which is included in the AIS suite.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brhokla

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »
Understood, I use Online Armor for my Firewall and really wasn't trying to compare Avast Pro to a complete Internet Security Suite even though with Online Armor I feel like I have a full Internet Security Suite. Just looking to compare the Pro versions of other companies AV products to see actual test results.  I never see Avast do anything but update so I get bored. No infections to clean, nothing getting through so I figured I'd look at some data or something about how it does compared to others! 

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »
Understood, I use Online Armor for my Firewall and really wasn't trying to compare Avast Pro to a complete Internet Security Suite even though with Online Armor I feel like I have a full Internet Security Suite. Just looking to compare the Pro versions of other companies AV products to see actual test results.  I never see Avast do anything but update so I get bored. No infections to clean, nothing getting through so I figured I'd look at some data or something about how it does compared to others! 
Noticed youre post, specifically the getting bored part and not seeing Avast doing anything...that might be a good thing ;D  I posted and experience I had where Avast did a great thing..involving The Boot Time function..Maybe you might want to take a peak under the TOPIC..Questions about Avast...
No worries ;)

The Dude 321

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »
Well, I have used Avira, it gave me a lot of Ads, some of my friends had AVG, and it was absolutely horrid for them. But with Avast, I have had no problems at all.

So, I hope that answers your question.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »
Yes, bored with Avast! not doing anything....that is new post I have never seen.  That is the goal of Avast!, to be good but inconspicuous, so this is a good thing.

Pro's sandbox is good extra protection for the browser, and something they call Secure Desktop, an expanded sandbox, is coming. (not sure if that will be for only AIS or if Pro's sandbox will be upgraded also, but I think it will.)

All opinions are biased, but for more varied biased opinions, try here>>http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
All opinions are biased, but for more varied biased opinions, try here>>http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
This is true.
Here is an Avast comparison chart of the different products as they stand now: http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart.  Avast will be releasing new versions in the near future with more features, so this will change.

I also use OA Premium, so you are very well protected using Avast with OA with their latest versions.  As mentioned earlier, being "bored" is a good thing; it means your security software is doing a good job. :D

brhokla

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Oh, I'm perfectly happy with Avast so far. It's fairly powerful yet still easy to use for the general public.  I like the features it has, the fact that you have advanced settings you can tap into and it runs so silent and uses much less resources than most other AV products I have used over the years.  Sure, most of them have probably improved but I would never go back to using AVG or Norton.  Just seemed to really be resource hogs.  I don't want my AV taking my system hostage.  That's what happens with many of these AV products.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
Oh, I'm perfectly happy with Avast so far. It's fairly powerful yet still easy to use for the general public.
Glad to hear you like Avast.
IMHO Avast is easy to use...easy to uninstall and 'very' powerful...and still getting even more powerful with every upgrade. ;D