Author Topic: VRDB settings  (Read 6897 times)

Philidor

VRDB settings
« on: August 15, 2004, 08:15:30 PM »
I've read some references to VRDB before asking.

As I understand it, the VRDB keeps copies of some files which are likely to be damaged by a virus, so that they can be replaced as part of the repair process.  (I'm curious about which files because I could do a separate backup if something goes wrong with VRDB, so a listing might be useful if someone has the time and knowledge.)

My first question:  3 back copies are maintained.  Does this mean the VRDB program automatically deletes priors, or that it will look at only 3 past?  I'm wondering if the folder would become huge with old backups.

The ordinary time for updating the listing is 3 weeks, but this can be changed in the avast4.ini file.  The backup will be made on selecting generate now, which may take an hour, when the screensver runs, or when the computer is idle.

My second question:  Screensaver or idle, the update process could take a long while.  Am I best off making a backup myself every 3 weeks?  Otherwise, I'm wondering what would happen if it's not complete in 3 weeks.

Third question:  I had VRDB set to go with my screensaver, but it shows up on the screensaver list as avast! screensaver.  I have a program called Screensaver Druid, which rotates my screensavers, and I hadn't included avast! on the list of selections.  Not sure if it would do anything even if I did.
I've changed the program to back up when the computer is idle, but can you say that any screensaver rotating program would probably keep VRDB from working?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:VRDB settings
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 08:34:09 PM »
As I understand it, the VRDB keeps copies of some files which are likely to be damaged by a virus,
Not exactly files that are likely to infected, but important system files that can be infected.

Does this mean the VRDB program automatically deletes priors, or that it will look at only 3 past?
Yup, all others should be deleted, if not something is wrong  ;)

Screensaver or idle, the update process could take a long while.  Am I best off making a backup myself every 3 weeks?
That is hard to answer, it depends on how YOU use the computer. Consider the following things:
Is the system on 24/7 or eg. just 1 hour a day?
What applications are running besides Avast?
What is the idle time of the system?
How fast is the system?
etc....

I hadn't included avast! on the list of selections
If you set the VRDB to run with the screensaver, the screensaver must be active. Since you forgot to include Avast it isn't working.

I may be not entirely correct about everything, but you will soon find out when others respond also  ;D

Philidor

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 08:49:40 PM »
Let's see...

System is a 2.0 gig CPU on for some hours every day, but in use most of the time it's on.  The screensaver is usually activated only when I want to watch fish swim etc.
Because VRDB seems important, the issue of whether a backup ever gets completed is significant.

A program like Screensaver Druid IS the screensaver itself.  So there's a question how VRDB would know something is running in the first place.  Also if I have to select Avast! screensaver in the list of screensavers to run.
If the answer isn't "makes no difference", then anyone with this or a similar program wouldn't be making backups.  That would be worth knowing.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 08:56:03 PM »
A program like Screensaver Druid IS the screensaver itself.
No it is not. It only select which screensaver will become active and than that screensaver runs.

Looking at what you told us. I would say, generate the vrdb manually.

I don't know if it is possible to start the vrdb generator manually with some switch or if it is a seperate .exe in the Avast folder, but if so, you should be able to shedule the generation with the taskmanager. Let's hope someone can tell us. Would be a interesting option.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 09:30:44 PM »
Correction:

If you set the vrdb to run when the screensaver is active, it doesn't matter which screensaver it is.

From the manual:
VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRBD is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 09:55:48 PM by Eddy »

Philidor

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 09:40:37 PM »
Sorry, I meant that if you were to right click an open space on the desktop and click Properties and the Screensaver tab, you would see that Screensaver Druid was the selected screensaver.
Also, if you opened Screensaver Druid you would see a list of selected Screensavers.  Avast! is on the list of screensavers available, but would not be included on the selected list unless I designated it.
If Avast! has to be designated, then anyone who had such a program and did not identify Avast! would not be making a backup.  
Even if I did, I'm also uncertain whether Avast! could run as the screensaver by itself.  When I tried it, I saw a small screen labeled Avast! marching around the desktop, but no files being saved.  And then Explorer.exe crashed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »
Philidor, there are some comments about VRDB into my FAQ link (signature) and configurations and suggestions under the link 'Settings'... Enjoy  8)
The best things in life are free.

Amerk_5

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 01:31:31 AM »
.....Avast! is on the list of screensavers available....

The avast screensaver is sort of like a scheduled scan. When you set it as the default screensaver it scans your computer for virii whenever your screensaver starts.

While you can choose which screensaver the avast screensaver uses I highly recommend that you don't set it to use Blank Screen. If you do, then you wont be able to access the settings of the avast screensaver.

Philidor

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 01:51:28 AM »
Technical,
thanks for taking the time to do the FAQ on VRDB.  It was one of the sources I read before posting the questions I still have.

Amerk_5,
do you mean that the Avast! screensaver is not associated with VRDB, but is actually a scan?  Now I guess I'm really confused.
Also, Screensaver Druid activates only one screensaver at a time, and, as noted, it (SD) is the selected screensaver.  Does VRDB or the scanner or whatever it is know that there is a screensaver running?  
There are a lot of programs like SD, though few with the ability to search for and delete screensavers.  If Avast! is not running as it should because of SD, a substantial number of users would have the same problem.

I've gotten around the problem by having VRDB operate when the pc is idle.  Maybe that should be the default(?).

Amerk_5

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 02:43:49 AM »
Correct. The avast screensaver is a scan. It's not associated with the VRDB.

I don't think rotating screensavers should cause a problem with the VRDB.

Once the VRDB is created it shouldn't have to be run again too often unless you've been doing a lot of updates which would update any of the files that the VRDB keeps.

Philidor

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 03:06:56 AM »
Okay.
I just went into SD to test it again.  I previewed avast! screensaver.  It started up another screensaver.  When I exited that a maroon screen with a blue border began hopping around the screen.  It's still doing so.
It says it's the avast! Screen Saver.  File:  <Initializing engine ...>  Number of files:  0.

I'll reboot in a moment to get rid of it.
Whatever is going on, it's obviously malfunctioning.
Curious.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 04:08:19 AM »
Technical,
thanks for taking the time to do the FAQ on VRDB.  It was one of the sources I read before posting the questions I still have.

Even after that, what can I help?  ::)

About your screen saver problem (which is not related to VRDB), we're trying to solve it (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6559)  ;)

Philidor

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 05:14:29 AM »
Well, I am learning.
The avast! screensaver is a scanner, and not the VRDB program.
The VRDB record deletes folders older than 3 saves back, so there won't be an accumulation of old saves.
I should run the VRDB save manually every 3 weeks to assure that I do have copies, given that I use the computer most of the time it's on and run the screensaver only to watch it.

Should I also make the assumption that a program like SD wouldn't keep VRDB from knowing the screensaver is running, and so starting up?
Sounds like I should, but I just want to confirm.

I'd also like to know what files VRDB saves if it's possible to list them easily; maybe I can do a save myself.  I use a program called ERUNT to save the registry in XP (the Export in RegEdit apparently leaves out some files), but that's probably not enough.  There are other programs that do regular backups.

With the program set to save when the computer is idle, is there a way to find out when the backup is complete?  If I start to do a manual backup, will it finish a backup partly completed  while the pc was idle or begin a new one and continue trying to complete the ongoing backup?

As you can tell, I'd really appreciate knowing the status of the VRDB backups at any given time.  If I haven't just overlooked a reference to such a record, mind if I make it a suggestion?

I appreciate all the time and patience invested in these answers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »
The majority of my answers are only guesses, I need a confirmation by the programmers here...

The avast! screensaver is a scanner, and not the VRDB program.

VRDB is not a program but a database.

The VRDB record deletes folders older than 3 saves back, so there won't be an accumulation of old saves.
I should run the VRDB save manually every 3 weeks to assure that I do have copies, given that I use the computer most of the time it's on and run the screensaver only to watch it.

Not the folders but the 'DNA of the files', the information needed to restore the file to its original state. It's not the entire file but only this small information. All information about the HDD exe files will be stored into 5-10 Mb.

Should I also make the assumption that a program like SD wouldn't keep VRDB from knowing the screensaver is running, and so starting up?
Sounds like I should, but I just want to confirm.

I don't think so. But you can set the limit of the 3 weeks to another value. See settings om my signature.

I'd also like to know what files VRDB saves if it's possible to list them easily; maybe I can do a save myself.  I use a program called ERUNT to save the registry in XP (the Export in RegEdit apparently leaves out some files), but that's probably not enough.  There are other programs that do regular backups.

I use ERUNT too but it's only for Windows Registry not the files... Some special registry files cannot be exported (and so imported later) by RegEdit.
The files that VRDB stores the information... Well, a guess: the executable ones (com and exe). I'm not sure  :-[

With the program set to save when the computer is idle, is there a way to find out when the backup is complete?

The VRDB time is stamped into the Enhanced Interface (see picture) on the icon 'i'.
On the Home version, it's simple, just read the panel (skin)  ;)

If I start to do a manual backup, will it finish a backup partly completed  while the pc was idle or begin a new one and continue trying to complete the ongoing backup?

I think the program handles this very good. If you start another, it will be done just from the beginning...

As you can tell, I'd really appreciate knowing the status of the VRDB backups at any given time. If I haven't just overlooked a reference to such a record, mind if I make it a suggestion? I appreciate all the time and patience invested in these answers.

VRDB is only used in case of infection.
The most (maybe the only) secure method of cleaning is backup.
Other security need is prevention. VRDB is for cleaning.
If I were you, I'll make more backups and do not worry too much about cleaning viruses.  8)