Author Topic: the blue screen of death  (Read 7511 times)

tubabone

the blue screen of death
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:42:20 AM »
ever since I installed the avast upgrade I sometimes (not all the time) get the blue screen memory dump which shuts down windows and then I have to shut down and restart.  It usually only happens when I am on line.  Is there some setting that I can change to keep this from happening?  I am running windows XP on a 3 or 4 year old computer, not sure of all the specs.

ken k

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: the blue screen of death
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
Which are the error number? I mean, the BSOD number.
Is there any file (driver) listed there as being the culprit?
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
ever since I installed the avast upgrade I sometimes (not all the time) get the blue screen memory dump which shuts down windows and then I have to shut down and restart.  It usually only happens when I am on line.  Is there some setting that I can change to keep this from happening?  I am running windows XP on a 3 or 4 year old computer, not sure of all the specs.

ken k
For what it's worth..that has happened to me on my Desktop a couple of times since I upgraded to Avast AV PRO a week ago...But only when I have run IE in Process Virtulization mode. ??? Blue screen hangs. Possibly an add on thats not playing well..hasn't happened lately last few days :-\

mcgeepass

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
I am getting this same problem ever since I upgraded to Pro last week. I'm using XP, IE8, and have numerous online windows open at one time, plus a couple of programs. Using all of them. Laptop is about 4 yr old Dell Latitude D820. Get Blue Screen about every other day. All Crash Report said was it was a Device Driver, no help at all. Only change made as been this upgrade. About ready to remove it and go back to free version, never had that problem. Any suggestions?

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
@ mcgeepass,

How much RAM do you have?  Your OS is SP?

If you go into Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, you should have logs.  Check for an error code (in red)...what is it?

Is Avast working properly?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
@ mcgeepass,

How much RAM do you have?  Your OS is SP?

If you go into Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, you should have logs.  Check for an error code (in red)...what is it?

Is Avast working properly?

Thanks SafeSurf: I will also let you know if I can retrieve an error code as my PC hangs up when in VP(sandbox)also pretty much everyother day and only when using IE and trying to follow an added link while on a web page. Just yesterday I was reading in the forum and clicked on a link to read some added info that one of the folks were providing for further info on a specific problem and there it hung with the new page half loaded and lost any use of mouse>>> ???  Will try for an error code next time.

mcgeepass

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
Mcgeepass here--I checked Event Viewer log. The red X error showed System Error with Category (102) and Event 1003. Is that what your looking for? As for RAM, I have 1GB. And Avast does seem to be working properly. I put it on Silent/Gaming mode (kept scaring the beejeebers outta me). It updates regularly. There were quite a few errors in the Event Viewer log. Mostly preceeded by Warnings with a Source number of b57w2k, if that means anything. Thanks for the help. mcgee

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
Mcgeepass here--I checked Event Viewer log. The red X error showed System Error with Category (102) and Event 1003. Is that what your looking for? As for RAM, I have 1GB. And Avast does seem to be working properly. I put it on Silent/Gaming mode (kept scaring the beejeebers outta me). It updates regularly. There were quite a few errors in the Event Viewer log. Mostly preceeded by Warnings with a Source number of b57w2k, if that means anything. Thanks for the help. mcgee

Mine was also System Error.Category (102) Event 1003 with added event 1001...No further information when checking properties and then help to open web page for further info.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »
@ mcgeepass and schmidthouse,

Usually when you get an Event Error, you can click on the details to get more information.  The links I'm providing below may be a bit outdated, but will at least give you some indication of what the problem is with your Event Errors:

Event Error 1003: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1003&source=

Event Error 1001: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1001&eventno=3736&source=SaveDump&phase=1

Read up on them, the cause of them, and check the warning you got PRIOR to getting the actual error to help problem solve.  1GB RAM is fine.

iodinnaorar

the blue screen of
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
HI, I have a desktop PC at home, from past couple of weeks, while working the blue screen of death comes again and again after every few days. I restart my PC and it goes off, but again comes back after few days. Can anybody tell me what can be the reason behind it.

Regards.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: the blue screen of
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
HI, I have a desktop PC at home, from past couple of weeks, while working the blue screen of death comes again and again after every few days. I restart my PC and it goes off, but again comes back after few days. Can anybody tell me what can be the reason behind it.

Regards.
Where in the dark as much as you are as you have not supplied any information on your system or the programs that are running when you have the BSOD'S.
You really need to start a new thread of your own.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
@ mcgeepass and schmidthouse,

Usually when you get an Event Error, you can click on the details to get more information.  The links I'm providing below may be a bit outdated, but will at least give you some indication of what the problem is with your Event Errors:

Event Error 1003: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1003&source=

Event Error 1001: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1001&eventno=3736&source=SaveDump&phase=1

Read up on them, the cause of them, and check the warning you got PRIOR to getting the actual error to help problem solve.  1GB RAM is fine.

Thanks SafeSurf for your time: Unfortunately a Computer Scientist I'm not :-\
I don't get a warning prior to the event...just occurs. Also the error code I retrieve from the Event Viewer. After checking properties I click the link that takes me to a web page that is suppose to have more info. on that particular code event but so far there is little to no further info (that I can use)
I don't know other then it only arrises when in PV mode (Process Virtualization) ???

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
@ schmidthouse,

Usually when you get an Event Error, you can click on the details to get more information.  <snip> check the warning you got PRIOR to getting the actual error to help problem solve.
I should have written this out for you better.  To check for the warning that one of the posters mentioned, you would see this in the Event Log:

In XP, go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > listed you will see "Application," "Security," "System," Internet Explorer."  Most likely you will find a warning (usually a yellow triangle) in one of the first 3 choices....double click on it to get more details.  An error is usually a red circle with a white "X" in the center...double click on it to get more details.

Here is a link to look up more details on Event Codes: http://www.eventid.net/, but your direct link from your error is probably more up to date since it opens up in a browser.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:44:43 AM »
@ schmidthouse,

Usually when you get an Event Error, you can click on the details to get more information.  <snip> check the warning you got PRIOR to getting the actual error to help problem solve.

>>>>I should have written this out for you better.  To check for the warning that one of the posters mentioned, you would see this in the Event Log:
Thanks SafeSurf....No worries. I have settled for Avast Free..For me too many glitches with PV on my PC's :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 01:49:30 AM »
I have settled for Avast Free..For me too many glitches with PV on my PC's :)
Let me know if you need suggestions on how to layer your security to maximize your protection without causing conflicts or overkill.  If yes, I can respond later when I'm back online.  Thank you.  :)