Author Topic: the blue screen of death  (Read 7510 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: the blue screen of death
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 05:27:44 AM »
I have settled for Avast Free..For me too many glitches with PV on my PC's :)
Let me know if you need suggestions on how to layer your security to maximize your protection without causing conflicts or overkill.  If yes, I can respond later when I'm back online.  Thank you.  :)

I was not overly impressed with AIS so uninstalled and installed CPF v.3.14(older version) but surprisingly strong!.ON the laptop I actually got OA Premiun Trial installed and is running great. I'll play with it and get it to where it will be exceptionally strong..THanks for offer...if you have experienced insight on modifying default settings for OA please lay them on me
Thanks SafeSurf...appreciate it ;D

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
Let me know if you need suggestions on how to layer your security to maximize your protection without causing conflicts or overkill.
Besides Avast Free, OA Premium FW, adding MBAM Free as an on-demand scanner would also be a good idea.  I would also, if you haven't already use safety features like add-on's (not toolbars...stay away from them!) in your browser...see my Signature as an example.

As for your settings in OA Premium, leave them at default at first since your FW needs to "learn" initially.  I keep all my shields on in both Avast and OA for maximum protection.  The only settings I do is to add both software as trusted exclusions:

1.   The best way to exclude both OA and your AV is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
- Open the Avast GUI > Settings > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Online Armor* and click on the BOX to the left of the words (this excludes all subfolders as well).

To exclude Avast in OA:
- Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).

2.  [On install only]  When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on.

3.  [On install only]  Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots.  After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast.  Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups.  Answer incorrectly and you will get future pop-ups.  The new version of OA doesn't seem to get this pop-up. :D

4.  Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow).  If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust."  Reboot.  Do this periodically especially after installing or uninstalling programs.

5.  Open the OA GUI > Options > Backup/Restore > Save your settings once you have everything the way you want it.  I would do this now after your initially installation.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know and I would be happy to assist.  Thank you.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
Thanks SafeSurf...really good info. Some I had already setup. I'm liking OA and especially that it plays well with it's other mates! One thing (which is no biggy) I'm not impressed with GUI...seems kind of child like to me...Now OP PRO I liked but it didn't play well :-\

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
I'm liking OA and especially that it plays well with it's other mates! One thing (which is no biggy) I'm not impressed with GUI.
Did you change the GUI to Advanced Mode?  I like using Advanced Mode only because I like seeing more information, but it defaults to Standard Mode.  Right click the OA toolbar and change it if you want to check it out, but it is up to you.  Bottom line...it needs to play well with your other software.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »
I'm liking OA and especially that it plays well with it's other mates! One thing (which is no biggy) I'm not impressed with GUI.
Did you change the GUI to Advanced Mode?  I like using Advanced Mode only because I like seeing more information, but it defaults to Standard Mode.  Right click the OA toolbar and change it if you want to check it out, but it is up to you.  Bottom line...it needs to play well with your other software.

Yes thanks SafeSurf. And you are so right...if the software isn't compatible with the OS and configuration..well it's useless.
Good Stuff ;)