Author Topic: I think I have the Google redirect virus what do I do?  (Read 27391 times)

Shayleigh

OTL scan
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:28 AM »
K here is the report from the scan

Shayleigh

Combo Fix
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
Here is the file from combo fix.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: I think I have the Google redirect virus what do I do?
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Looks good - any remaining problems ?

Shayleigh

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
It finally works!  And it didn't cost an arm and leg!!!Thank you SO much!!! And thank you for being so patient with me.  I can't thank you enough you've been more helpful than any of these local computer experts!

With much gratitude,
Susie
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:04:35 PM by Shayleigh »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Click Start > Run  and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.  MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove along with ERUNT.  But they may be useful tools to keep

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 23.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u23-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u23-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")
SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave:

SafeSurf

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
@ Shayleigh,

We usually recommend that you keep your machine running for a good 24 – 48 hours after malware removal to make sure everything is working properly and give it a good test drive.  After this period, please report back in this thread to let us know how things are going (good or bad).

In the meantime, here are a few suggestions in addition to the ones given to you by Essexboy to keep you and your machine safer in the future:

1.   Keep your definitions up to date for both Avast and MBAM. 
2.   Keep all your shields on with Avast.
3.   Update MBAM prior to scanning, then do Quick scans.
4.   Keep your MS Updates current.
5.   Add things to your browsers for safer browsing.  See my Signature as an example.
6.   Use common sense when browsing and do not go to risky sites.
7.   When downloading software, read what you are clicking and do not download adware toolbars which are commonly opted in; look before you click or do a Custom install to avoid putting unwanted toolbars on your machine that lead to spyware tracking or adware.
8.   Check to see that your software is up to date with the free Secunia Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software is changing all the time.  This site gives you the vendor's direct download link making it easy to upgrade your software.  Many of us here scan our machines weekly.

Please post back and let us know how your machine is doing.  Thank you.

Shayleigh

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »
@ Shayleigh,

5.   Add things to your browsers for safer browsing.  See my Signature as an example.

What exactly do you mean add things?  Like download? we Have MBAM. Do you we need them all?  CAN we have them all? 

--Susie

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:10 AM »
What exactly do you mean add things?  Like download? we Have MBAM. Do you we need them all?  CAN we have them all? 

--Susie

SafeSurf means security related Add-ons for Firefox like e.g. NoScript.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
SafeSurf means security related Add-ons for Firefox like e.g. NoScript.
Exactly.  If you look at my Signature and other Evangelist's Signatures, you will see that they have add-on's in their browsers to help protect them.  I use Firefox (FF) so the add-on's are for FF.  Others use IE, and there are add-on's for IE although IE also has some internal protective features.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help you.  Thank you.

Shayleigh

Add ons
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
Okay so how do I know which add ons to add?  Is there some web site with recommended programs?  Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »
Add-ons for  Firefox   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

just ask the google man, and you will find   ;)