Author Topic: Avast Internet Securiy....Firewall  (Read 6452 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Avast Internet Securiy....Firewall
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
I upgraded from Avast AV Free to Avast AV PRO (trial)and am convinced it would definitely be worth the investment ;D
My curiousity lays with the Firewall in AIS. I am wondering about its strength and reliability. Now I realize that this is Avast forum( and a good one at that) and comments or opinions will be 'somewhat biased' ;) but I have noticed many of the folks in the forum commenting and giving excellent support use other firewalls ???
I am hoping for some straight talk and any comments or development info that might shed some light on this observation.
Just curious...and Thanks 8)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Internet Securiy....Firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
You realize that the pro version has no firewall, that's included in the AIS version, i think the firewall choice come's  down to what you think runs better on your system and if you want to pay for it,of course you also have the benifit of all your security being in one place which make's thing a bit easyer. I haven't used the avast firewall but user opinion's review it as a good firewall.
Myself being on windows7 running the free avast prefer the windows 7 firewall as it's quite good and i dont get bothered with any popup's but i also like the online armor firewall which if i was running xp or vista would be my choice as it's very strong with a good hip's and super simple to setup.
Hope this helped you some :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply Craigb: Yes I do realize the firewall is in AIS.. and I understand OS configuration realities..and also personal choice, which is really my point.
Is there any comparison info with other Internet Security Suites that would provide relevent and useful info on strength and effectiveness and added protection goodies?
It seems there little is known of the Avast firewall and certainly not alot of push that I am aware of.
I appreciate it..Thanks..just researching :)

Tenko

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
If you want to pay then go for AIS; you will get more value of your money.

Otherwise you can use a free firewall but only comodo's firewall will give you a full featured firewall (to be honest more than full featured)

Regards,
              Tenko

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
If you want to pay then go for AIS; you will get more value of your money.

Otherwise you can use a free firewall but only comodo's firewall will give you a full featured firewall (to be honest more than full featured)

Regards,
              Tenko
Why would only comodo give full features, no more features than avast firewall, online armour, outpost or privatefirewall, plus comodo is resource hungry and problematic compaired to these four,honestly comodo would be my last choice.

Tenko

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
as far as I know All free firewall(except Privatefirewall) wants people to buy their firewall. Comodo doesn't give any pop up thats says: Buy this, for this and this. You see?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:39:24 PM »
Comodo model is sell services and not the software (free for home and business).
avast model is freemium (free + premium product).
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
Thanks for the converstion :D For me Resource use is a big issue..and it does seem from my personal experience, the more going on in a firewall program in the form of overdoing the modules that make up the program...the more likely it is to use system resources and not play well with the other software. ;)
I have heard on a number of occassions the 'privatefirewall' mentioned but know absolutely nothing about it ???
A person could Trial AIS but knowing some basic info first is only prudent...we all know how wierd things can get when installing and uninstalling Firewall Security software :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Comodo model is sell services and not the software (free for home and business).
Comodo definitely pushes "fee for services" and from what I can tell...pretty good services.
But back to AIS....How configurable is the firewall??

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
as far as I know All free firewall(except Privatefirewall) wants people to buy their firewall. Comodo doesn't give any pop up thats says: Buy this, for this and this. You see?
How does this relate to full feature's,online armor does not have any sale's add's either.

Tenko

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
if you look at the attached pic you will see that you get few features for the free version. With Comodo firewall you get ever that comodo has to offer.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
Privatefirewall is the lightest firewall around, it's hip's aren't quite as strong as online armor and you will get a few popups, online armor is the bee's knee's of being intuitive, i only ever got popups for this twice, once for my mobile broadband and once for windows live mail.
It's also got webshield, keyloggers detection and run safer which is similar to sandbox.

Tenko

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
I haven't tried it but I will on my WMware.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
if you look at the attached pic you will see that you get few features for the free version. With Comodo firewall you get ever that comodo has to offer.
Sorry Tenko but you cant blacken online armor to me, iv tried all these firewalls except for the avast one and know exactly how they all perform and what i can expect in the way of help from there forums.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
Comodo definitely pushes "fee for services" and from what I can tell...pretty good services.
But back to AIS....How configurable is the firewall??
Sounds great guys...but can anyone tell me about the firwall in AIS :-\