Author Topic: TRAY ICON WON'T RE-ENABLE  (Read 5733 times)

Steele

TRAY ICON WON'T RE-ENABLE
« on: December 26, 2003, 01:50:16 AM »
Hallo!  ;D Froehliche Weinachten! ;D

Sometimes, I've read upon installing programs: Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time <- for example -> they recommend me to temporarily disable anti-virus software. So I right click the AVAST icon in the system tray to disable it. It then pops open a small window showing the services it is stoping. Cool.  8) Now..... just how do I RE-enable the service? I STILL see a menu option that says to stop on access avast protection but..... I DID stop it... and there is a RED circle with a bar through it indicating the fact I have already done it.

I want to now re-anable the service without restarting my OS. But I can't find an option within the right clicking of the disabled system tray icon? I still see an option to "stop" the service/guard from the system tray but the icon is reported to already by STOPED. ???

When I choose to start AVAST! antivirus it does indeed start.... but the icon (resident sheild) looks as if it's still disabled.

Anyone else encounter this? Or is it just me?

I'm a new pup here and have not completely familiarized myself with all the options.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sincererly yours,

Steele Wolf  8)

Froehliche Weinachten!

PS: I'm using Windows Xp Professional (SP1a) <- is SP2 ever going to come???
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 01:52:40 AM by Steele »

Culpeper

Re:TRAY ICON WON'T RE-ENABLE
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 01:54:31 AM »
If you right click on the ball icon again you should see on the bottom item to start the service again.

Steele

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 01:58:46 AM »
Thanks for your help! :) Means a lot! :)

Unfortunately, I do not have that option. I only have an entry at the bottom that says: Stop onaccess protection and exit. I already clicked it a few times and nothing. Is it just not wanting to stop? There is however a red circle with a slash through it indicating it is stoped.

:-\ MAAAAAAAAYBE....... I need to refresh my tray icons?

Probably not but, I don't know what else to do.

Steele

Steele

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 02:04:00 AM »
Here's some new info I'd like to report:

I found that there is NO re-enable option after disbaling the sheild from the system tray on well...just my computer anyways.   :-\

However.... by right clicking the icon and choosing the menu option: On Access Protection Control.... it bring up a window reporting the status of the sheild as STATUS: inactive. Cool. So at least disabling the service through the system tray icon works!

I can re-enable it only through this window with the START button. It's now back up and running perfectly!  ;D

Can anyone confirm this with a Windows XP machine? I've already done a few re-installs lately of my OS and a new download of AVAST staright from the central server.... in case my machine was botched.

Interesting nonetheless!  ;)

Best regards!

Steele Wolf
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 02:05:21 AM by Steele »

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 02:17:54 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for the update.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 03:36:55 AM »
Hi Steele,

I'm running under XP-Home with all critical updates and all but a few of the "recommended" ones, and I've never (yet, knock wood) had a problem accessing the collection of provider setup menus from the ball-icon in the tool tray, even after selecting the "stop... and exit" option.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I've simply paused one or more of the providers, or actually stopped them.  The context-menu I get when right-clicking the icon has right at the top (the only item in bold) "On-access protection control" which lets me start, stop, change customization details, etc.

Best,
Mike

« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 03:38:34 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 03:26:55 PM »
Here's some new info I'd like to report:

I found that there is NO re-enable option after disbaling the sheild from the system tray on well...just my computer anyways.   :-\

However.... by right clicking the icon and choosing the menu option: On Access Protection Control.... it bring up a window reporting the status of the sheild as STATUS: inactive. Cool. So at least disabling the service through the system tray icon works!

I can re-enable it only through this window with the START button. It's now back up and running perfectly!  ;D

Can anyone confirm this with a Windows XP machine? I've already done a few re-installs lately of my OS and a new download of AVAST staright from the central server.... in case my machine was botched.

Interesting nonetheless!  ;)

Best regards!

Steele Wolf

You're correct. This is the behavior of avast! Sorry for not reading your post before. It was Christmas!
The best things in life are free.

Steele

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 05:18:49 AM »
No prob in delay of post. (Technical)
Thanks for confirmation!

Although it's Christmas, I just had nothing really to do unfortunately  :'( so..... I thought I'd post it for someone when they got back.

MikeBCda: Maybe it has something to do with the different flavours of XP? I use XP Pro, and you use XP Home? Just a thought. But at least the behaviour I have described has been confirmed.  :)

I'm honestly glad this issue hasn't affected you and found this to be interesting.

So thanks for posting your info Mike!

Sincererly,

Steele Wolf  8)

PS: Oh, my system has all critical service packs, PRE-service packs, and most recommended updates.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 05:20:43 AM by Steele »

lw3eov

Re: TRAY ICON WON'T RE-ENABLE
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »
I have the avast! shields control option and then the enable all shields, however nothing happens after clicking there, until sometime I reboot my computer and it returns to normal

Who knows when and why...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: TRAY ICON WON'T RE-ENABLE
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
I have the avast! shields control option and then the enable all shields, however nothing happens after clicking there, until sometime I reboot my computer and it returns to normal

Who knows when and why...
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.