Author Topic: Malicious URL Blocked,Info please?  (Read 7775 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Malicious URL Blocked,Info please?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »
I just came from PlanetElderScrolls myself and received the same "Blocked" message with "Process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svhost.exe"  This is the first time I received such an AVAST popup notice while visiting there. It also came up while looking at another page there too.
<snip>

I'm not too concerned about avast blocking access to possible malicious sites in this case (as that is working), but why it is having to block them.

Well two things:
1. You have either made a typo or you have a suspect file 'svhost.exe' the correct file name would be svchost.exe, so which is it ?

2. It is unusual to see svchost.exe (the legit file) connecting to the internet other than for windows updates.

So if it is the legit C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe file, you could have either, a hidden or undetected piece of malware using this file inappropriately; or if the file name is correct you are likely to have an undetected malware sample on your system.

If it is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svhost.exe checked it at virustotal, see ### below.
If multiple scanners at VT detect this then send that sample to avast for analysis, see ~~~ below.

###
Check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page.

~~~
Send the sample/s to avast as a Undetected Malware:
Open the chest and right click in the Chest and select Add, navigate to where you have the sample and add it to the chest (see image). Once in the chest, right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Huitzilopochtli

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
It would appear, at least to me, that gamespy has taken care of the problem, because I didn't do absolutely anything, and since yesterday the notificacion from Avast ceased to appear in Planet Quake. Has anyone had any problems related to this recently?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
This isn't coming from gamespy (in the case of Viking Babe, to whom I was responding) as far as I'm aware or the alert wouldn't have mentioned a local file on your system as being responsible for the attempted connection to the malicious site.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Huitzilopochtli

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »
oh, yes, but the first post of this subject said that the problem came from the process firefox.exe, and in my case it is like this also. at any rate, the issue came back up when loading that page, so ignore my previous post.